Can Heupel retrain JoeMilton to NOT make his throw decision BEFORE the snap?.

Question, what about this particular analyst and/or their qualifications, makes you believe their 2nd-hand evaluation of Milton while he was at Michigan, over that of the the 1st-hand evaluations of the UT coaching staff whom have been working with Milton since April?
right.gif

This would be just too strange to watch. After 4 years, I am used to watching a QB lock in on Target, hold the ball for 6 seconds, tap the ball 9 times, then fire a 90 mph fastball over the WR's head.
And into the DB's hands.

i agree…I thought the point of the fast pace was to catch the defense off guard…find the guy out of spot or the miss match and throw it to that guy. So if he is reading the D correctly he will be fine.

These first 2 plays (overlooking the Holding call) ...

Peyton Manning knew where he would be throwing the ball before the snap. Most higher-level QBs do. That's what it means to "read the defense."

Now, eye-discipline would be a different thing.

Milton should have been doing things like looking off the safety, or otherwise sending defenders misleading signals. If he was telegraphing his throws with his eyes (which is what QBs do when they aren't trusting their pre-snap read) that would require some change.
Manning still holds the record for most interceptions thrown in a NFL season but yet he improved to become one of the best. Why not Milton

Reactions: BruisedOrange
Question, what about this particular analyst and/or their qualifications, makes you believe their 2nd-hand evaluation of Milton while he was at Michigan, over that of the the 1st-hand evaluations of the UT coaching staff whom have been working with Milton since April?

By gum, that'll do it. On account, those analysts despite claims to the contrary aren't telepathic.

I’d say without question no if it was the other guy. I’m thinking he’ll have some hiccups but over all be very successful. I don’t remember the last QBC we had that was great so I’ll take a stab at it: Darin Hindshaw effects and Milton has a great season.

This is a huge key for this season. I'll ask those of you out there who have coached before......can you coach a player OUT of making the decision where he will throw the ball before he has even received the snap? I went back and studied JMilton's film from the MSU game last year (2nd game - before his thumb injury) to see if he had eye discipline on his reads. And what I saw and heard from the analyst on the call was that he often makes the decision of where the ball is going BEFORE he has even received the snap. This explains why he often throws into double coverage in last years games. So it is clear he does this routinely (hey I couldn't do his job, but this is an important question).....can he be retaught to stop doing that and go thru his reads? Against even average SEC defenses, this will get you beat every time. I'm hoping Coach Heap got this corrected before we start the season.
One thing I liked about Hooker is that he pretty much goes thru his reads and often chooses the 2nd and 3rd receiver.
Curious to hear what those in the know think about how fixable this is.
I hate to break it to you but probably 50% of CJH's offense passing game is one read throws.

It's a good question.

OP mentioned Hooker going through his reads, but that's also what I like about Bailey. I think Bailey is fantastic about this.

I don't think we'll learn much tonight (at least ... I hope not!), but we probably will when we play Pitt.

It’ll be incredibly vanilla. You don’t need to do much against a team that gives up 300+ on the ground

He should always have AT LEAST 2 primary reads and know where the check down is. If those primaries look to be double covered or the defender is cheating towards where you want to throw, take the check down or sack. Live to play another down

Well... that's a "half right". The really great QB's will tell you that they usually know where they're going before the snap of the ball. It is usually something you try to enhance rather than get rid of. Guys who are bad at pre-snap reads like JG was for most of his time at UT... kill your O.

If Milton was bad at pre-snap reads then that's probably a fixable problem. If he was bad at post-snap reads that's probably a fixable problem. The answer is NEVER to get him to not make pre-snap reads.

Yeah, I would add to this that good QBs can read the defense and decide where they want to throw before the snap. Bad QBs like JG are TOLD by the coaches "you will throw to X receiver on this play" and they telegraph the throw because they suck.

Those are two entirely different things indeed.

Reactions: sjt18
Can Heupel retrain JoeMilton to NOT make his throw decision BEFORE the snap?.
200.gif

Reactions: BucksnortVol
At this level you can coach them up if the player is coachable. Biggest keys at this and pro level are determined during the week.

1. What coverages will they run against our various fronts?
2. How will they disguise their looks/blitzes based on similar offenses or previous years under that coach?
3. Where are our best matchups and how do we scheme to get them?
4. What will they likely do we haven’t seen yet?

Oversimplified but these keys tell you enough to know your most likely chance for success pre-snap. There will always be things you can’t account for and that is what separates he greats from the average and poor QBs. Those like Peyton that recognize post snap what the defense is doing and, in milliseconds, confirm their throw or look to another option.

It's definitely coachable and what a lot of coaches will do is give the QB simple reads to make it easier until the QB gets comfortable in the offense. For example, of a defense does this post snap then throw it to X reciever. If they take the other reciever, then throw it to the Y reciever. If they play both recievers perfectly, then throw It to the check down or take off if the QB is athletic.

It’s all a plan until the bullets start flying, then we see who can improvise within the plan without falling apart. CJH team’s don’t fall apart once the action starts, he has a track record of improvising through it all without abandoning the plan. It’ll be fine.

Reactions: GoVols64
I didn't imply or say that our coaching staff did not see this nor imply that it wasn't being addressed. But if you took the time to study some of JM's film work, it is clear that he starts many of his pass plays with an absolute receiver in mind, and was seen to force the ball into double and triple coverage at times, occasionally with an open receiver just a few yards away. This was worrying to me, as I don't know how difficult it is to correct that. It is a simple question to those that have experience in this arena. Not hating on JM in any way. In fact, I could see him with an incredibly high ceiling if he develops as hoped.

Reactions: jmcarr33
From what I understand, our offense is designed to do some quick pre-snap reads and there are only one or two choices based upon that. I thought that one of the features of our offense was its simplicity after the snap. The QB only has time to look at two progressions and then he is supposed to throw it. Am i wrong about that?
You are absolutely correct. This entire scheme is about making the decision of who to throw to presnap.

Reactions: volinthenorth

VN Store

Back