Can football season start this Saturday

Truthfully, I am more excited about this coaching staff, at least we are not hearing the following:

- The butchering of the English language
- Carnival barker shouting slogans
- Football to WWII history comparisons
- How great USCw is and plastering USCw crap all over the football facility

It is refreshing to have a head coach that played the game at a very high level, was a successful player, coached within a successful program, and became a successful head coach. CJH has hired a very experienced defensive staff while bringing his offensive staff that understands and implements his offense, with this approach it appears that he will allow his coaches to coach.

I like what I've seen so far and I'm looking forward to Spring Practice, Fall Camp and how his philosophy translates to game day execution.

GBO
Dave, man, I'm with you 100%. Could not agree more with the perspective on CJH & Crew. Hopeful, looking forward.

But every bullet point you mentioned of things he's not doing but his predecessors did, we really only hate those things in retrospect. I mean, we may have found "brick by brick" annoying the 100th time Butch said it, and we may have smirked at Pruitt's lack of proper English skills, but we didn't HATE those things until they were tied to losing. And cheating in Pruitt's case. But mainly losing.

I only mention that for one reason: no human is 100% lovable. Josh Heupel is going to have some mannerisms, some favorite phrases, some way he stands or walks or stares or SOMEthing that people will start noticing. And then, Volnation being Volnation, others will start making fun of. And then others (or the same ones) will start treating with derision.

And that's probably as far as it goes, if Josh can get us back to competing for championships. We'll treat his quirks and mannerisms with off-handed humor.

But if he can't break us out of the Dark Ages, within some matter of time (1 loss for Nega-Vols, several seasons for the Sunshiniest of Sunshine Pumpers) we will come to HATE--I mean HATE--those quirks. And in our brains, by some magic of our neural processes, we'll feel like we hated them all along.

That's just human nature.

Here's hoping we never have to hate any of Josh Heupel's unique eccentricities.

Go Vols!

He pulverized it
No, he didn't.

To continue this analogy, he was letting the foundation show its age. He wasn't maintaining it as assiduously as he should've. But it was still a solid foundation.

WE (the University in the agent of Mike Hamilton, with the support of UTK leadership and encouragement from some boosters and some fans) pulverized it by firing the only coach to bring us a national title in many of our lifetimes.

That's on us.

Reactions: cobbwebb0710
No, he didn't.

To continue this analogy, he was letting the foundation show its age. He wasn't maintaining it as assiduously as he should've. But it was still a solid foundation.

WE (the University in the agent of Mike Hamilton, with the support of UTK leadership and encouragement from some boosters and some fans) pulverized it by firing the only coach to bring us a national title in many of our lifetimes.

That's on us.
At least someone is willing to own it.
GBO!!

Reactions: VFL-82-JP
If they JUST look like they've practiced together on O and the QB doesn't take a month to make a decision... it will be more fun than the last 4 years.

I don't think they ever really practiced. All that practice video was like covid film reruns. Then they just stood around BS'n.

Lower your expectations, unfortunately itā€™s not going to be fun.
I agree. I think it will be rough going at first. I'm hoping for the best but right now with the recruiting and all the kids in the portal im not sure what CJH will have to work with starting out. But I am excited about coaching staff. But we gotta get some athletes here to compete. Alot of buts I know šŸ˜’

Lower your expectations, unfortunately itā€™s not going to be fun.

Truly, we need to watch this season's games like when we play golf or tennis after a year off. Any good shot is reason enough to come back again. Next week, we'll try to make two good shots in a row.

Or like watching a chick-flick. Any action will be a welcome relief from the slow developing storyline.

Give up and bisch about those that donā€™t.
giphy.gif

Reactions: butchna
Dave, man, I'm with you 100%. Could not agree more with the perspective on CJH & Crew. Hopeful, looking forward.

But every bullet point you mentioned of things he's not doing but his predecessors did, we really only hate those things in retrospect. I mean, we may have found "brick by brick" annoying the 100th time Butch said it, and we may have smirked at Pruitt's lack of proper English skills, but we didn't HATE those things until they were tied to losing. And cheating in Pruitt's case. But mainly losing.

I only mention that for one reason: no human is 100% lovable. Josh Heupel is going to have some mannerisms, some favorite phrases, some way he stands or walks or stares or SOMEthing that people will start noticing. And then, Volnation being Volnation, others will start making fun of. And then others (or the same ones) will start treating with derision.

And that's probably as far as it goes, if Josh can get us back to competing for championships. We'll treat his quirks and mannerisms with off-handed humor.

But if he can't break us out of the Dark Ages, within some matter of time (1 loss for Nega-Vols, several seasons for the Sunshiniest of Sunshine Pumpers) we will come to HATE--I mean HATE--those quirks. And in our brains, by some magic of our neural processes, we'll feel like we hated them all along.

That's just human nature.

Here's hoping we never have to hate any of Josh Heupel's unique eccentricities.

Go Vols!

I actually hated all of these things from the beginning of each of the individuals tenure at UT, it only intensified with the loosing! More specifically, Pruitt's inability and unwillingness to speak correct proper English really did make me cringe every time he did an interview; and supposedly had a degree from University of Alabubba. Had Pruitt won every game he coached at UT I still would have shook my head at his utter ignorance of the language!

Each of the four previous coaches did things that I personally did not care for, but I do a lot of crap my wife doesn't care for either - like going to the local gun and ammo store and spending WAY above my allowance! LOL

GBO

Truly, we need to watch this season's games like when we play golf or tennis after a year off. Any good shot is reason enough to come back again. Next week, we'll try to make two good shots in a row.

Or like watching a chick-flick. Any action will be a welcome relief from the slow developing storyline.
I was about to post something about action in a ā€œchick flickā€ and then I realized that you and I probably have a different definition of what a ā€œchick flickā€ is, and thought better of it.
GBO!!

Exactly, People bought Orange Pants (Dooley) and there were tee shirts sold with "brick by brick" an "aight." It's all good when you win. Could you imagine the short jokes if Saban won 3 or 4 games a year?

Reactions: VFL-82-JP
Depends on the outlook. I'm excited to see some blue collar kids out there who really want to be at UT and who actually give a chit about the game and the program. I'm prepared to be outgunned from a talent perspective, but if I see kids out there really battling and making the big boy sweat a little, I'd consider that a successful season and fun. Laying the foundation is never pretty or exciting, but it is necessary nonetheless.
Love this post.

VN Store

Back