Can Dee Beckwith get on the field?

The issue isn't talent. The issue isn't that he is still learning the position. The reason he isn't playing would also keep him from playing any other position on the team. You have to earn playing time with this staff. That playing time must be earned day in and day out through your work habits and consistency. Dee has not been consistent in this regard and that is why a walk on is ahead of him currently. This is the culture that's being built and it applies to every single player on the team.

If he were a real stud, he would have already been playing

OH, I see how that works. So, if you were a real VOL fan you would not be making posts like this. Did not know sharing brilliance could be so rewarding. It seems to us uninformed that he has 31/2 years left to define his role.

OH, I see how that works. So, if you were a real VOL fan you would not be making posts like this. Did not know sharing brilliance could be so rewarding. It seems to us uninformed that he has 31/2 years left to define his role.
He very well might become a big time player. He's not RIGHT NOW. Lots of empty speculation going on about why he's not playing as if he's good enough right now.

Don't be so hard on yourself. You're not that uninformed

He also just may not be that good. Alot of times we fall in love with players in the recruiting process, with the idea of what they could be, and when they don't live up to expectations, the bottom line is they were just overrated to begin with. The same thing happens in reverse of course too when guys turn out to be better than expected, which is always a pleasant surprise!
Dillon Bates is a perfect example

UT beats Pitt if we simply hand it off to Dee Beckwith on that 4th down inside the 5 yard line. Instead we do a slow developing read option with a 200 lb RB and it gets stuffed.

By and large, you have to like what Huepel has done with this team. They play with great effort and strain. They bring it- constant energy and pressure. They have sustained intensity. Heupel is willing to sacrifice talent in place of overall team giving the right amount of effort IN HIS MIND.

If I were to guess..Dee Beckwith isn't practicing with the same amount of effort. I didn't say he was lazy. I'm saying he's not playing with the level the coaches require.
That's the only thing it could be...and the coaches have a zero tolerance for it.
-Not always a good thing.
The kid has been running the football all through high school. Great over all natural athlete. He's not some novice to running the football. His pad level is fine. He showed it last year and this spring. All of a sudden he just can't play RB??? No...

The fact that Milton was still in the conversation as starting QB up until this week...is a spotlight on coaching stubborn behavior. Heupel was WRONG about Milton. As was I.
But it shouldn't have taken 3 games AFTER Pitt to admit that... Coaching stubborness

Jalin Hyatt drops one ball in the end zone and gets injured. Hasn't been seen since. He's the only WR Milton couldnt out throw. Yet only one targeted deep ball in 3 games since???? Has Hyatt all of sudden forgotten how to play WR? No...

Payton and Jones are shining.
T Evans is shining. because they are getting fed reps and they are good players.
It starts in practice. And coaches absolutely OVER value practice sometimes . We should all be intimately aware of this from the past 4 years...

Heupel for all his numbers offensively, is not all that creative haha. It's about sustained effort and outworking the opponent with him. Yet, when he went against Mullen, you saw the difference in coaching.
We absolutely out worked them and still lost by 24 points...
Mullen himself said that was a different UT team. Effort and heart. yet...he still beat them.

On the field our coaching X's and O's has failed the team in critical moments. We should be 4-1 with a real chance to be 5-0 had we been more aggressive and creative offensively in the 2nd QTR against Florida. When Richardson takes the reigns for them, finally...you can forget it.

I do believe Heupel can get Tennessee to 9-3 or 10-2 type seasons with time, because the East is so bad. But right now, he hasn't shown the awareness or coaching touch of the more elite names. He's just a hardworking, positive dude. He's a Butch Jones with an actual personality. But he does seemed to have assembled a pretty decent staff...

So you can evaluate talent better than the Coaches....daaaam!

He also just may not be that good. Alot of times we fall in love with players in the recruiting process, with the idea of what they could be, and when they don't live up to expectations, the bottom line is they were just overrated to begin with. The same thing happens in reverse of course too when guys turn out to be better than expected, which is always a pleasant surprise!

I feel like I've been saying/thinking this for weeks now. The guy is clearly a physical specimen, but maybe he's just not a great *college* runningback.

He ran the ball well in high school, but it doesn't always translate. In high school you can feast solely on athletic ability despite having poor pad level, less than stellar lean, no pass blocking, etc. Those things matter when you are trying to play SEC football. The coaches have stated that he is learning the position, and all of those finer technique issues are part of that learning process.

VN Store

Back