Can David slay Goliath yet again?

StrangeVol

Okay, so how good is Stanford? They're damn good. Defending national champs good. Playing on their home pitch good.

So, there's no chance then. Heck no...we've got a good chance and there's plenty of reason for optimism.

First, while statistics argue in favor of Stanford, it's not by a lot. For instance, they only allow. .44 goals per match. But hey, we only allow .60. Pretty close. They score 2.68 goals per game but we score (without Bunny for several games) 2.10, so again not all that far apart. They don't foul any more than we do, have a similar number of yellow cards and like us have no red cards.

They have great depth. Us, not so much with the injuries to Bialczak and Gilroy but we've gotten quality help from our bench at critical moments. They have one of the best midfielders in the NCAA in Jordan DiBiasi but then, so do we with Katie Cousins. Stanford has three players on the ALL PAC 12 roster, which is impressive. We match that with our own trio of All SEC talent.

So how competitive is SEC soccer versus PAC12 soccer? Out of the top twenty NCAA teams in RPI, the PAC12 boasts of 3. We, on the other hand, can brag about our 4 top 20 RPI teams. While that's good as far as it goes, if you look at the top 10 in the NCAA RPI rankings you'll find those same 3 PAC12 teams, but only two SEC teams, with us at 9th and TA&M at 10th. So what does this say? Simply put, Stanford plays in a tougher league than we play in, but again, not by a huge margin.

Another aspect I find interesting is that we have three first-team All-SEC players in Bunny Shaw, forward, Katie Cousins, midfield, and Maya Neal our speedy defender. They likewise have three All PAC12 team members in forward Catarina Macario, a midfielder in Jordan DiBiasi, and a stellar defender in Alana Cook.

Kind of spooky isn't it. These teams are just so very, very similar.

All things considered, imo, this match likely will be decided in the midfield. The team that can frustrate the other in the midfield can take the other side out of their game plan. We are capable of doing that as we did in the second half against A&M Sunday evening.

Bottom line: Can we win this? I think so!

But it won't be easy. :)

Last edited:
We may not pull it off but that ole round ball bounces crazy sometimes and I think we can do it!!!
Yanaz is a very good goalie and she showed it last night. If it is close she will stop it. Katie will do her part and Maya is strong in her defense and speed. Marcano will be the key because they will cover Bunny up. JMHO as always!

I have a son that's on a traveling competitive soccer club. One thing I've learned is that the better club does not always win. Balls hit crossbars or posts and a team that dominates possession can still end up in a 0-0, 0-1, or 1-1 game at the end of regulation, which means anything can happen after that...

Reactions: StrangeVol
We may not pull it off but that ole round ball bounces crazy sometimes and I think we can do it!!!
Yanaz is a very good goalie and she showed it last night. If it is close she will stop it. Katie will do her part and Maya is strong in her defense and speed. Marcano will be the key because they will cover Bunny up. JMHO as always!

I like your thinking. Marcano is almost our secret weapon, but the player I like even more in the "unknown assassin" role is MA Vignola. She is a real weapon when she gets forward and pounces on a loose ball or makes one of her long runs down the touchline, just blowing by people. Also, don't sleep on Salera Jordan. She's scored a goal in both our most recent matches. Her goal against Arizona was vital.

Despite being favored to win (I'm assuming) on their home pitch, I guarantee you Stanford is NOT happy to get a hot team like Tennessee next in the tournament. The Lady Vols have nothing to lose and everything to gain, and Stanford has everything to lose. My guess is that if Stanford gets by Tennessee in this pressure-cooker of a match, then they're likely to go on to repeat as champions.

Sure hoping Tennessee pulls off the upset!

Just stumbled across this bit of info; all four #1 seeds made it to the elite eight, 3 of the #2 seeds made it and one unseeded team snuck in too. NCAA would seem to have done an exceptional job seeding the brackets. Why am I surprised? ;)

I like your thinking. Marcano is almost our secret weapon, but the player I like even more in the "unknown assassin" role is MA Vignola. She is a real weapon when she gets forward and pounces on a loose ball or makes one of her long runs down the touchline, just blowing by people. Also, don't sleep on Salera Jordan. She's scored a goal in both our most recent matches. Her goal against Arizona was vital.
You are right and I was so glad Vignola was not injured as badly as I was afraid. When has a head of steam and moving down the field she is hard to stop. Gosh I have so many favorite players!! I think Stanford will have more depth but lets get after it and see what happens!!

Reactions: StrangeVol
24 hours from now we'll be halfway through our Elite Eight match with Stanford. I can hardly wait 'til tomorrow!

Well....one hour 'til match time. I'm more than ready to get this match started! Good luck to our ladies and here's hoping there are no injuries today, on either side.

GO LADY VOLS!!!!

Reactions: Rickster and MAD

VN Store

Back