Can anyone name a more inept athletic department considering the resources.

Bruce Pearl might have been the worst thing to ever happen to the basketball program because of a few sweet 16's and 1 elite eight......it made the fan base think UT has an "Elite" program up there with he Duke's and Kansas's.

Since Tennessee was terrible in basketball most of your early life--1984 through 1997--you have no reference point of how good Tennessee basketball was from the mid 1960s to 1983 and how electric Stokely Athletics Center could be. That is the reason TBA was built with 24K seats--demand for tickets was high. Pearl showed how good this program should be and brought the program back to life.

Reactions: 3 people
Auburn better not schedule Indianoplis, College of Charleston, or Oakland. Pearl can't beat them.

Right...by this logic better just stick to Kansas, Memphis (with Derrick Rose), Texas (with Kevin Durant), Gonzaga, Ohio State, Pittsburgh, Villanova, VCU (final 4 year), Georgetown, Butler, etc. Yeah, ole Bruce never beat anybody.

Reactions: 1 person
Putting Pearl getting hired by Auburn on the plate of Hart shows zero ability to use logic and reason. But that does not stop idiots from posting jibberish. Post away.

Bruce Pearl might have been the worst thing to ever happen to the basketball program because of a few sweet 16's and 1 elite eight......it made the fan base think UT has an "Elite" program up there with he Duke's and Kansas's.

LOL. What a loser mentality.

Bruce was a bad thing for UT because he proved we can be successful in the modern era? What a joke.

Elite programs aren't set in stone. 15 years ago, UF basketball was nothing. Billy D made them elite. Bruce could have done the same at UT.

Reactions: 5 people
Yep

3. Allowed Bruce to got to an SEC school. This is an indictment of our AD. You could not allow this.

This will go down as perhaps the biggest non-hire in athletic director history. Dave's not that old, but maybe he's already lost his marbles.

How is Hart a disaster? Lady Vols a 1 seed, men in the tourney, baseball top 15 and a lot of upside with the future of the football program.

Reactions: 3 people
Bp was never coming back n taking aub job proves it. I do miss the winning n excitement of Bruce ball but he was never coming back..

However I do agree on ad dept. Hart did not hire lv coach she was the only option to take over.. Had zero to do with baseball hiring.

He consolidated the men's women's track staff which is a joke on the field n the only hire he has made is cbj n dude lost to candy with two weeks to prepare..so verdict still out.

Ccm has not made the tourn of 64 he is the loser left for a pick up game n the big boys r making him prove he belongs joining them. If that is acceptable then sign me up.lol

I would say most are upset because all this proves their speculation all along was 100% wrong. Pearl was never an option, and the petition had zero effect. All the talk about insiders claiming it was a done deal, or some big movement was all wrong.

It's almost Gruden all over again.

I love the "petition" people and how they get their hopes up simply because they added their name to something.

How many times to petitions amount to anything? Especially when it comes to sports. Bama even started a petition claiming the Auburn player stepped OB...see what I mean?

It's really unfortunate that they have to hire Buzz Peterson when Cuonzo is gone, too. It is unbelievable that the "Buzz Peterson rule" even exists.

Hamilton did not hire Serrano.

There was talk that Hamilton wanted Serrano the first time, but the job description required an accredited degree. I think Hamilton did have some say in Serrano eventually coming.

The Dooley and Raleigh hires were worse than terrible.

Auburn's athletic department just made Auburn a power house in both football and basketball.

Must be nice...

Although, I do believe in Butch and Serrano is proving to be awesome. Hopefully Martin proves me wrong in the tournament. If only Tennessee threw everything at Gregg Marshall. I do believe he'll leave at some point. I'm doubting Shaka will unless he gets called up to the NBA like Stevens. A job like the Celtics, are you kidding me? They suck right now but that's as elite of a franchise as you can get in the NBA. Also, I hate the Celtics. :)

Cuonzo has to get to Duke if not beat Duke. Losing to Iowa or Mass and I feel like he still underachieved for the season. Why does that deserve another year? Iowa is a toss up game. Iowa and Tenn should both beat Mass.

How can you blame Hart for Auburn hiring Pearl? Martin is still our coach and isn't even done with the season yet. Do we just fire Martin after receiving a NCAA tournament bid? I don't think any AD does that.

Facts and logic don't matter to some people. Gruden was NEVER coming here. Bruce was NEVER going to be rehired. You fire a coach just going into the NCAA? No. I don't believe Cuonzo will ever get us past mediocre, but to blame Hart is just crazy.

The reason Cuonzo will never get us better than an average poor SEC team is that it is hard to recruit the best players to play his style of BB. The best of the best want to be able to score 20 to 30 points per game and not go through the grinder of playing tough defense. Tough defense will win games, but won't get you to the NBA. Cuonzo recruits long athletic kids who can't shoot at an elite level.

I believe we will have to go through at least another year of mediocrity before Hart can justify making a change.

Uh...

He made us realize that we don't have to be garbage in basketball. That's bad because?

We weren't just winning under Pearl, the attendance was averaging top 5 nationally while he was here. Um... if you're top 5 in attendance, have an awesome arena, facilities and money to be successful, why can't Tennessee become elite in basketball?

There's no reason Tennessee can't be elite in basketball. We USED to be elite in football. Look at our football team now... things change. Tennessee has enough to be elite in football, basketball and baseball if they find the right coaches. If Duke never hired Coach K, would they be elite? He built that program. What if he left for another job to a bigger school? Duke is nothing then. Tennessee can be built into a powerhouse with the right coach who sticks around. And if you're winning here, the coach is going to stick around because we can offer everything it takes to be elite. Period.

There's no reason Tennessee can't be elite in basketball.

Ray Mears showed that UT can be damn good in basketball, and even beat KY consistently. Bruce Pearl took it a step further and showed that we can be Elite in basketball. Cuonzo is showing only that we can be play-in worthy in basketball. So much for progress. Methinks Auburn is soon going to be the giant-killer of SEC basketball.

Reactions: 2 people
Ray Mears showed that UT can be damn good in basketball, and even beat KY consistently. Bruce Pearl took it a step further and showed that we can be Elite in basketball. Cuonzo is showing only that we can be play-in worthy in basketball. So much for progress. Mehopes Auburn is soon going to be the giant-killer of SEC basketball.

fyp.

Ray Mears showed that UT can be damn good in basketball, and even beat KY consistently. Bruce Pearl took it a step further and showed that we can be Elite in basketball. Cuonzo is showing only that we can be play-in worthy in basketball. So much for progress. Methinks Auburn is soon going to be the giant-killer of SEC basketball.

I agree with everything you said.

With Pearl off the market, I'm going to pull for Cuonzo to prove me wrong. If he were to beat Duke and get to the Sweet 16, he absolutely deserves another year. My problem with him is, his run at the end of the season of 5 in a row consisted of beating 4 teams under .500. That's terrible... a win over Iowa and Mass would give me a little bit of wiggle room on my opinion him but if he loses to either, I'm still of the belief we will always be below average under him. Tennessee is far more capable than missing the tournament and barely squeaking in. The right coach could make Tennessee a power house imo. You could say that about any job but averaging top 5 in attendance is all the proof you need that it's possible to be a power house. We have the fans, a nice arena, nice facilities etc.

I don't feel fans who believe we can be a powerhouse should be disparaged. If people believe in Martin, good for them. As of now, I don't. And that's because his track record isn't that impressive. Let's see him accomplish more than just making the tournament. Not even making the tournament.... playing an extra game that didn't exist until recently. Without that extra game, do we even get in? If that's what people view as successful, more power to em. I don't not view that as successful. Better get past Iowa and Mass at the very least or I'm still on the side that thinks he should definitely go.

Can anyone name a more inept athletic department considering the resources?

Yeah, Illinois. Considering where they are and with the resources at their disposal, they should have top 20 programs in any sport every season. But history has shown two things with them: 1) Corruption is not limited to politics. 2) Their athletic department could screw up an anvil with a rubber mallet.

My Fighting Illini friends hate it when I say things like that, but they have yet to prove any of it incorrect.

Oh our basketball team is now f***** for a loooooong time.

Ive agreed with a lot of things you've said recently but just because Pearl is temporarily out of the picture doesnt mean we cant still hire a good coach. I wanted Bruce as bad as anybody but I honestly think I want Clownso out of here more than I wanted Bruce back.. There are other coaches , plenty in fact, that are much better than what we have now. Hell, they dont even have to be better, they just need to show signs of life. Sometimes I wonder if CM is about to fall asleep, I know i'm always about to when I see him or listen to him speak.

Ive agreed with a lot of things you've said recently but just because Pearl is temporarily out of the picture doesnt mean we cant still hire a good coach. I wanted Bruce as bad as anybody but I honestly think I want Clownso out of here more than I wanted Bruce back.. There are other coaches , plenty in fact, that are much better than what we have now. Hell, they dont even have to be better, they just need to show signs of life. Sometimes I wonder if CM is about to fall asleep, I know i'm always about to when I see him or listen to him speak.

Don't bother, he's an Auburn fan now.

VN Store

Back