Can a coach with little orange and no Rocky Top succeed?

Madtown, I don’t think @Benionsopinion does gotcha; I think he is expressing a question on a topic which concerns him. I think the answer to his concern is she just didn’t stop to think before cutting a joke. It happens to all, especially in the younger years. When in areas where it matters one will learn quickly or else. I believe Kim is a very quick learner!
My take on this "no longer with us "social media clip is that CKC may not be that great at "witty" banter. I thought she whiffed more on the orange clothing question than the rocky top one. And that is fine, we are hiring a coach not an improv comedian.

CKC seems more like a "serious type" who is most comfortable talking about Xs and Os and so perhaps, going forward. it would be best not to put her into too many social media shoots which ask her to play it cute.

Last edited:
Hope you’re right, Madtown. But I fear many more saw this than you might think. And it will be used ad infinitum in negative recruiting.
I think some people need to grow up on the
Forum. It's not the end of the world if she's
Not singing Rocky top or not wearing orange
Right off the bat. Give somebody a break for
Pete's sake.

Seems quicker and wittier than any hire we've had (male or female) since Pearl, Kiffin and Vitello.

Reactions: barrylee
Not only do I not care about her answers, but I'm irritated this is even a thing. Let her do her job for five seconds.

Seriously, do you want her to get started recruiting, or worrying about the answers to pithy social media questions? C'mon now.

Last edited:
SV,,,,I don't log into FB for any reason so I have no idea what was/is posted...a hint what you are discussing,,,,anybody???
Very short video clip where Kaiya ask CKC how many pieces of orange clothing she owned and how long it would take her to learn the words to Rocky Top. CKC's answers were a little less than ideal and the clip disappeared very fast.

I realize it's been a while, but I seem to remember that Pat very seldom wore orange on the sidelines herself. Am I wrong?

Jim
Sir Jim,

Pat wore more blue than orange. I think most women would, especially a pale blond like Kim. I thought her blue jacket and orange necklace at the press conference was a good look, both as to school colors (Summitt blue) and what personally looks good on her. And admit it, we all want to look good😂.

My concern was more the general perception, not so much the ‘I only own one orange shirt’ (very few non-UT fans do own orange; I only do because it is UT’s prime color!), but the ‘not learn the words to Rocky Top, you’ll never hear me sing it’ part. I am sure you remember all the vitriol when Hart was here; posters I had never read before came into the LV forum spewing. I could just see more of the “Lady Vols aren’t true….” - choose whatever you want to put down women’s athletics‘ posters. Also this was posted on Twitter, X, facebook, etc. so a lot of people, UT and non UT, could see it. And some people just look for a reason to jump. I wondered if others, that is LV supporters, thought it might be a bad look. Apparently UT did since madtown said it was taken down.
Also at a time when we are worried about NIL money etc., we want to keep donors happy, not rock the boat. 18 year olds may not care about LV or UT traditions, but a lot of people with money to donate do. I think she was just cutting a joke, misspoke, whatever, but I was reading everything from ‘fire her’ to ‘so what’, so I wondered how LV supporters perceived it. She’s got enough to overcome without a match getting thrown out.

So, I think she’s probably smart to limit wearing too much orange, and no one would ever know if she sang Rocky Top or not…unless she announced it. She’ll learn I’m sure; everyone misspeaks or flubs a joke, just some get noticed more quickly than others, and she is definitely where she will be noticed!

Benionsopinion, It your repost of my post is supposed to be a "gotcha" retort, you left out this part for some reason:

"Both CKC's answers reflected that she is not that familiar with the "LV tradition" but, that is one of her big selling points as well, she is free from that burden and brings new thinking. "
No gotchas from me Madtown. I don’t do that. Just my opinion.

For those worried about this deleted video, memes of this type are the image going viral and they signal the LV's new coach is "a bad a$$" (to avoid misunderstanding translate that as "a tough, uncompromising, or intimidating person."

View attachment 633504

In the words of a blonde-haired, late-90s-era cultural icon and pontificator of sage sayings Paris Hilton: "That's hot."

😉

Very short video clip where Kaiya ask CKC how many pieces of orange clothing she owned and how long it would take her to learn the words to Rocky Top. CKC's answers were a little less than ideal and the clip disappeared very fast.
They were very ideal… it show the total shift away from this pseudo Pat era.

I love it.

My take on this "no longer with us "social media clip is that CKC may not be that great at "witty" banter. I thought she whiffed more on the orange clothing question than the rocky top one. And that is fine, we are hiring a coach not an improv comedian.

CKC seems more like a "serious type" who is most comfortable talking about Xs and Os and so perhaps, going forward. it would best not to put her into too many social media shoots which ask her to play it cute.

Could not agree more. Although she is smiling and giving it the old college try, I'm sure she would rather be finalizing staff hires and perusing the portal.

When Coach Barnes was hired nine years ago, he politely and quietly declined to wear the orange jacket for Kentucky and Vanderbilt games. This was a tradition started by Ray Mears, and had been honored by all head coaches until Coach Barnes.

I think Coach Barnes has been successful without the festive coat.

I would have thought they would have given her a bunch of Tennessee orange stuff when she was hired. As for Rocky Top, whether you sing or not, anyone can do the "Woo".
Probably the last person to show Kim around should be White. He’s not Tennessee, he’s a well paid employee. There are hundreds of thousands, if not millions, of people all over the world, who love Tennessee, love our state, love our history, love our teams’ success, take pride in The Big Orange, Rocky Top, and our colors, Orange and White.

We all want Kim to succeed, but if you want Tennessee to feel like home, you need to happily embrace our traditions, and become one of us. It will make you happy. GO BIG ORANGE!!!

Yes it will work. I think Kim will be a good coach. Your thought about being with the orange and Rocky Top, all i know the coaches after Pat all had the orange and under the Pat coaching tree and it did not work out. Kim will do alot better coaching.

Talk about a big nothingburger. People seem to live to stir up nonsense.

If the lady wins games and ultimately championships, I couldn’t give two sharts about any of this.
Yep, when I read this crap, I think, are we trying to be teenagers gossip wise. We are definingly not adults.

VN Store

Back