Calloway ejected

He's not alone. I noticed Page was pushing the envelop on several plays late in the game last night. At times, he looked ready to pop just like Calloway did.
Being READY and actually popping 5 times is two separate things.

Reactions: GhostVol
Like I said in the game thread, these Akron guys literally just tried to injure Hooker with a cheap shot on a handoff.

The only thing they'll be getting out of college is brain damage. Screw 'em. He should have aimed under the chin.
They were straight up going for the knees with no intention to make the tackle.

Good to hear, but Calloway will have to earn back the confidence and respect he lost last night. The hill back to meaningful playing time will be steep indeed.
Isn't that for his coaches and teammates to decide though? Not a bunch of orange clad folks sitting in the stands or on our couches? I'm regularly brought to tears listening to coaches of our major programs talk about growth in our guys. Same when I hear players speak glowingly about what they learn from our coaches. It is important to me that our university is teaching life lessons, and that doesn't include throwing a family member out on the street because they got smacked in the mouth and lost their cool.

The DV events were literal crimes that those guys will also have to pay for. It saddens me that happened and ties had to be cut. It is bad for all parties involved. This is a wholly different situation.

fred-sanford-red.gif

"I'll left hook you to death"

Reactions: Volstar65
Calloway is a real talented player, maybe as good as Hyatt or any slot WR on the team. Can't help but assume this is the type of stuff CJH means when he tells the media that "Calloway is still learning to do things the right way on and off the field". My unprofessional assessment is that it's quite possible that Calloway is a head case.

Reactions: PA Vol
The overreactions to this are mind boggling to me.
I know...I cant believe there have ever been punches thrown in a football game (gasp)...or during football practices (gasp)...
(Insert eye roll)
Is this a case of a hockey game breaking out in a football stadium?...Ha!

Reactions: Redleg68
Swiped him and clearly said something bad to make Calloway go off.

Dude was clearly asking for it.
And he fell for it. Inexcusable. That now tells every defense we face you can get under his skin.

“Asking for it” has nothing to do with it on the field. You aren’t going to teach anyone how tough you are in pads. All you do is hurt your team and possibly the hands you need to catch. He should have laughed and pointed at the shiny new Jumbotron.

It's way overboard to kick him off the team, and even Tall Gguy has even reversed his position on that. There are three things that need to happen:

1 - Get right with the team. He needs to be subjected to team discipline -- that may mean apologizing to teammates and some extra running, etc.

2 - Get right with himself. This is an opportunity for Coach to line up counsellors to help with anger management issues, or any other mental situation under the surface that caused him to lose his temper. This is important because future opponents will try to use this tactic again, and Calloway needs have some techniques to keep his cool.

3 - Get right with the tactics. You should never throw haymakers at an opponent who is wearing a helmet. You should throw..... uppercuts! When all of the above fails, give Calloway the training he needs to be successful. I would suggest bringing in former Vol, and VFL, Ovince Saint Preux, to go over specific techniques, should they be needed.

Last edited:
I know...I cant believe there have ever been punches thrown in a football game (gasp)...or during football practices (gasp)...
(Insert eye roll)
Is this a case of a hockey game breaking out in a football stadium?...Ha!
Completely losing it loses you games that count. It’s telling that his drop against Florida last season effectively benched him last season whilst Hyatt kept getting opportunities to play past it. Same with Tillman last week. It’s how the player DEALS with adversity. Calloway doesn’t do so well apparently

Reactions: BoColoco
Calloway took a swing at another player.....

He needs to be done.

There's no place in the game for that......

You and so many here obviously never played the game. I was at the game. Hooker got up and bumped a guy. JC saw his friend Tillman leave the game and his QB try to be taken out then himself. It wasn’t just one word. He lost it. They tried to break his neck pulling on his mask. He should’ve tackled him and throat punch and rack him on the ground instead of the wild swings. Never schedule these piss ants again and all SEC teams should do the same.

You and so many here obviously never played the game. I was at the game. Hooker got up and bumped a guy. JC saw his friend Tillman leave the game and his QB try to be taken out then himself. It wasn’t just one word. He lost it. They tried to break his neck pulling on his mask. He should’ve tackled him and throat punch and rack him on the ground instead of the wild swings. Never schedule these piss ants again and all SEC teams should do the same.

Well, gee whiz.....

Let's just cut out the middle-man and give 'em shivs, knives, knucks, etc. and.....

200.gif

Look.... I get it (and yes.... hur, hur, hur, I've played the game before).....

I understand an "in the moment" reaction.... that was just uncalled for.

And, I agree.... don't schedule these chumps again.

Calloway shouldn’t see the field after that. Finally sees the field and makes a couple catches and then that.
It's football. Run 10 extra laps and let it go. All of the "kickem off the team squad" have no clue how to be a coach and would be fired in a month when half the team portals to another location. So many here really should go watch soccer.

Reactions: ButchPlz
Calloway took a swing at another player.....

He needs to be done.

There's no place in the game for that......
😂 Dale Carter agrees.

I’ve seen far worse in practice had a dlinemen during Fulmer era threaten to kill an olineman and was fully intent on doing it.

Reactions: Fightmaker
Nothing was done that warranted 5 swings. Side note:

You have to be dumber then a box of rocks to swing five times at another players helmet. That's not ending well for you. It should be the old "you aren't punished for throwing punches but for being stupid."
Trust me I know. Those helmets don’t give a lot. He’s young and will learn to keep his composure

Those are the type things that MUST be fixed. Undisciplined action can and usually does cost you in big games.........no matter how pissed you are, that can get you beat.

There are heat of the moment... But there are also heat of the not able to process... He was benched last year after getting playing time... Then he does this... Regardless he won't be trusted
That is a stretch for sure. Not a single dang one of us sit in the locker room or coaches discussions. The young man was obviously pissed off. If you have never played sports in a high level, you can’t possibly understand the quick reactions. I sure hope no one ever crosses your family members with you being the only safety net. Your taking the time to keep composure and not respond with aggression, well said family member may be in for some serious trouble. Things happen in the moment and we react. This is a contact sport, relax.

Reactions: Stonewall83

VN Store

Back