Calipari post game

I typically enjoy listening to his interviews because he tends to shoot pretty straight and not sugar coat.

Wish Powell would pay close attention to his comments about Grady!

My dislike for Cal has lessened over time since his Memphis days to the point that I find him rather likable, now. And you're right, he is a straight shooter.

Calipari is a little more tolerable and humble now that he doesn't have Nike funneling all of their talent directly to Kentucky and he has to compete and coach a little differently than when he had annual collections of some of the most talented 18 and 19 year old basketball players in the business. He still draws plenty of talent and on paper his roster still looks better and more respected than Tennessee's, and Oscar may be the player of the year in the conference and nationally, but you still have to play the games, mistakes are made and Cal takes a loss and gets humbled on national television, no way to spin it, only about 5 percent of the lower bowl had blue fans in the seats and for the most part last night they were confined to sitting in them.

In my opinion, Cal knew he had trouble coming before the game started, his angst and anxiety got him an early technical, got his team out of synch and the pushing and shoving on their end of the bench propelled Tennessee on a 17-1 run and the damage was done.

Crank the bus up, head to the airport, beat the traffic off campus if you can.

Nothing but respect for that presser. I learned some things.

I do wonder if Cal engaged in a bit of pre-tourney head play when he said of Tennessee, "They shoot the ball better here."
Here.

If so... well played.
I have heard from several people that it’s hard to shoot at TBA in comparison to other arenas due to a deeper fan perspective behind the goals and have heard that the lighting is a little different on the court.

Like I said, it’s just what I’ve heard from some people who’ve heard it elsewhere, but it makes sense if you aren’t used to it. I ain’t complaining. GBO

Reactions: chuckiepoo
I enjoyed the comments. JC was clear that we were the more physical team. He used the following terms in the presser:

* Physical/Physically - said 4 times in opening statement
* Manhandled us
* Kicked us
* Punched us in the mouth
* They were all over us
* They were flying at him
* They had way more fight

We can have a lot of success if we can play that style the rest of the way.

Most overrated coach ever. All the talent he has had everywhere he has coached and just one national title.

I mean ... Josh Pastner and Penny Hardaway have assembled talent as good, if not better than Cal, at Memphis, without anywhere near his results.

The NCAA tournament, while exciting, is also not a very good way to select a national champion. Too much randomness; luck is a major factor in who wins each year. I'd wager to guess that it picks "the best team" as the champ less than 30% of the time. Contrast with the NBA playoffs which has best-of-7-series where skill almost always wins out; best team probably wins 90%+ of the time in the NBA. Or even the college world series, which is double-elimination if I'm not mistaken, likely has a much better chance at "the best time" being crowed champ.

Most overrated coach ever. All the talent he has had everywhere he has coached and just one national title.
you're crazy. He's taken 3 different teams to a final four. And he's gone to the national championship with two different teams. Been a D1 head coach since 1989 and still hasn't had 100 losses in his career at kentucky-edited

Last edited:
Reactions: feathersax
you're crazy. He's taken 3 different teams to a final four. And he's gone to the national championship with two different teams. Been a D1 head coach since 1989 and still hasn't had 100 losses in his career.
I would fake Coach K , Izzo and Roy Williams all over Cal

Reactions: volfaninky
you're crazy. He's taken 3 different teams to a final four. And he's gone to the national championship with two different teams. Been a D1 head coach since 1989 and still hasn't had 100 losses in his career.

???? He's got 235 total losses.

I'm in the middle on Calipari. It is impressive what he has done at 3 schools and in the NCAAT. But his lack of titles based on his talent is a knock on him.

VN Store

Back