Caitlin Clark

But who in the WNBA is “hating”? There’s much more talk ABOUT it than there are actual examples
Taurasi, Breanna Stewart. Taurasi's comment in particular was interesting. It's like Drew Brees being asked about Andrew Luck after he was drafted and Brees going "Reality is coming; I would take RGIII over him." It's just something that athletes don't usually say about each other. The body language from her own teammates during games and press conferences is curious too. I think a lot of that is them just being old heads; don't like her breaking records and potentially overshadowing them.

The hating that WNBA fans do I think is mostly a weird gatekeeping thing that fans of other niche things also do. Some soccer fans do it, as do fans of obscure musicians. They want whatever it is they like to become more popular, complain "why isn't so and so more famous," but when it starts to achieve larger popularity they go after those new fans as being "not real fans," not really knowing about whatever it is, etc. It isn't good enough for it simply to become more popular; it needs to become more popular on their terms.

IMO, a lot of WNBA fans want women's basketball to become more popular at least partially for cultural/political reasons (women's equality, they want them to get paid more, they like the politics that many players in the league embrace, etc.). Watching the sport simply because you are entertained by a new player, and a new player that is very popular among a let's say, Middle America-type of crowd isn't embracing it on their terms. They don't like the fans that Caitlin Clark is bringing in, so they don't like her either.

Last edited:
Taurasi, Breanna Stewart. Taurasi's comment in particular was interesting. It's like Drew Brees being asked about Andrew Luck after he was drafted and Brees going "Reality is coming; I would take RGIII over him." It's just something that athletes don't usually say about each other. The body language from her own teammates during games and press conferences is curious too. I think a lot of that is them just being old heads; don't like her breaking records and potentially overshadowing them.

The hating that WNBA fans do I think is mostly a weird gatekeeping thing that fans of other niche things also do. Some soccer fans do it, as do fans of obscure musicians. They want whatever it is they like to become more popular, complain "why isn't so and so more famous," but when it starts to achieve larger popularity they go after those new fans as being "not real fans," not really knowing about whatever it is, etc. It isn't good enough for it simply to become more popular; it needs to become more popular on their terms.

IMO, a lot of WNBA fans want women's basketball to become more popular at least partially for cultural/political reasons (women's equality, they want them to get paid more, they like the politics that many players in the league embrace, etc.). Watching the sport simply because you are entertained by a new player, and a new player that is very popular among a let's say, Middle America-type of crowd isn't embracing it on their terms. They don't like the fans that Caitlin Clark is bringing in, so they don't like her either.
Taurasi is grumpy toward every rookie and is a UConn homer, and even then all she said is “reality is coming” which has been true.

I don’t think Breanna Stewart has said anything negative about Clark and praised her after they played, unless I’m missing something.

Seems like Chuck is fighting a strawman

Reactions: 508mikey
Taurasi is grumpy toward every rookie and is a UConn homer, and even then all she said is “reality is coming” which has been true.

I don’t think Breanna Stewart has said anything negative about Clark and praised her after they played, unless I’m missing something.

Seems like Chuck is fighting a strawman
Of course what she said is true. It is just unusual that she actually said it. It isn't incredibly insightful but people ran with it like it was. Things are difficult for every rookie in every sport; it's like saying water is wet. Breanna Stewart said that Caitlin Clark isn't an all-time great because she didn't win a national title.

All I'm saying is that in other sports, veterans (especially great players like Taurasi and Stewart) don't really say things like that about others players, particularly rookies. I don't recall an established, great NFL QB ever talk about how "reality is coming" for a rookie and openly say they shouldn't be the #1 pick before they are even drafted.

Angel Reese from the top ropes

Bro, they're literally double screening her 40' from the basket so they can put a blindside on her
Angel Reese was taking a shot at people like Charles Barkley more than anyone else IMO. I don’t really see hard screens as “hating too much”

Your comment about “make it popular on our terms” made me think of A’jay Wilsons comments;

“They don’t see it as marketable, so it doesn’t matter how hard I work. It doesn’t matter what we all do as Black women, we’re still going to be swept underneath the rug. That’s why it boils my blood when people say it’s not about race because it is,” she said.“

She has refined her more recent comments, but the initial reaction was along the lines you suggest of wanting the existing players to be accepted, not someone new to be highlighted.

Last edited:
Reactions: 05_never_again
Angel Reese was taking a shot at people like Charles Barkley more than anyone else IMO. I don’t really see hard screens as “hating too much”

You are right that the media is making it bigger than it is. It's only been Taurasi actively in the NBA saying anything. I do definitely think Breanna Stewart was out to wreck her on that double screen 40 feet from the basket, which is maybe the pettiest thing of all that's happened.

Reactions: K-town Vol Fan
How y'all overlooking Nowitzki, West, Havlichek, and others from 60s/70s?
Gotta be honest. I'm not sure I wouldn't take the top 10 players from the ABA in the 70's and have a better team than the NBA stars during the same time span. Go back to the 60's and you gotta go with the Big O and Wilt. Wilt was an absolute freak in his prime both as a player on and off the court. Saw him take the ball on a fast break down the floor and literally jump over a defender. Insane physical specimen.

Reactions: LibertyVol and Remy
You are right that the media is making it bigger than it is. It's only been Taurasi actively in the NBA saying anything. I do definitely think Breanna Stewart was out to wreck her on that double screen 40 feet from the basket, which is maybe the pettiest thing of all that's happened.

It’s not hate, really, but plenty of whining from league members about they were here before the “Clark fans” showed up. Almost like they don’t really want the new fans she’s bringing in. Which is just bad business.

Reactions: Hoosier_Vol
It’s not hate, really, but plenty of whining from league members about they were here before the “Clark fans” showed up. Almost like they don’t really want the new fans she’s bringing in. Which is just bad business.

It is jealousy.

Phenoms bring new fans. Clark has the perfect build for a basketball player and has only amplified that with her shooting skills and hard work. Crazy to see a rookie already making an impact in the pros.

There’s a longer version that shows Clark jawing her on the other end. Not excusing the cheap shot, but you see why she did it.
Jawing is part of sports. Cheap shots are not. But when they do happen, you expect the ref to blow the whistle. There wasn't even a foul called on this play.

Jawing is part of sports. Cheap shots are not. But when they do happen, you expect the ref to blow the whistle. There wasn't even a foul called on this play.
If she gets hurt due to a flagrant foul or something that is unnecessary I hope the girls in the WNBA understand they’re going to be back in Boarding Group C and probably have to check in for their flight online .

Yeah, if she was **** talking, then the question is why is CC the one person who gets enforcer treatment for **** talking?

Reactions: Voltopia
There was, it just was an away from the play foul instead of a flagrant
I think seeing Angel Reese celebrating bugged me more than the actual foul. It’s one thing to commit a hard foul that sends a message, That’s part of the game. I’ve advocated for that in my thoughts about the current generation players for not having those rivalries like we used to see w/ the Pistons vs various teams or those slugfest games w/ the Heat and the Knicks back in the 90’s . That kind of celebrating for a cheap shot away from the ball is soft.

Reactions: SpookyAction
These “ladies” need to understand who is finally bringing attention to the WNBA. Aside from Candace Parker and Diana Taurasi, I couldn’t name another player in that league. Now I know 4 more: Clark, Reese, Cardoso and Rickea Jackson.

They need to face the fact that Clark is the reason some attention is being paid and be thankful for it. If Clark wasn’t there, they would still be toiling in obscurity. I understand that rookies get hazed and beat up some and especially one who is getting so much attention. But there is no place for cheap shots and that was a cheap shot and cowardly to blindside her.

So I have the same interest in the WNBA now as I have since its inception, which is basically none. Caitlin Clark doesn’t make a difference for me. Are all of you and others that now follow it really sincerely interested in it, or is ESPN and the rest of the media pushing a Charles Woodson like brainwashing on us and we are grabbing hold like it’s a lifeline?

Reactions: Kdbnab1

VN Store

Back