‘23 CA QB Nicholaus Iamaleava (Tennessee)

The defense will absolutely show up
With the weather forecast, I'm guessing both teams will have to lean heavily on running the ball. That's what Vandy has been doing anyways with Wright at QB. Our defense needs to just sell out to stop the run...including Wright. On offense...hopefully they don't get too impatient in the passing game since it's going to be a challenge with the rain and some wind. The game last year was won by us running the ball really well and slowing their running game. Hooker was under 200 yards passing.

Reactions: BigOrangeTrain
You said Milton needs to beat Vandy. Why say that about a team sport? Hooker did enough to beat SC and we got smoked. Stop saying a QB needs to beat a team.
I’ll reword it for you.

If Milton completes 75% of his passes including 4 TDs, 0 turnovers, and 0 bad sacks I don’t think we’ll lose. But if he plays poorly and we do lose, he shouldn’t be a shoe-in starter headed into 2023.

I’ll reword it for you.

If Milton completes 75% of his passes including 4 TDs, 0 turnovers, and 0 bad sacks I don’t think we’ll lose. But if he plays poorly and we do lose, he shouldn’t be a shoe-in starter headed into 2023.

There is nothing but speculation about who will start next year. Who knows? Jackson could win it or maybe Nico. The betting favorite is Milton and whatever he does this game shouldn’t change those odds. Can’t make rash decisions on a one or two game basis.

I can get behind that but my only thing is what about perception.So now u got Jackson his first actual qb recruit being recruiting over and shipped out.Add to that Hooker was on campus had multiple power 5 starts and prob was the best bet to start originally.I mean for some reason Heupel wanted to force feed Milton to us to start the season and by luck Hooker came in and never looked back.

I'm not holding it against him but that's 2 very questionable decisions that probably don't paint his qb quru lable in a bright light.So to just sweep Jackson under the rug doesn't make any sense.I bet he gives him a fair shot at least but the decision may be decided already similar to Hooker vs Milton spring of 21'..This could just be fan talk from a dude bored on his day off and not matter a lick to a recruit or perception just saying though worth a thought.
To be fair CJH had a short recruiting period to close the deal on any qb for the 2022 class. I don’t know eno about Jackson to really comment on how good he will be. His film looks like It was lower level competition with 6 inch deep grass on the field.

It's been reported a million times now that Milton was the best QB in '21 fall camp - that's why he started.

Tayven isn't being shipped. If he wants to leave then so be it. Every position on campus has talent coming in to compete for the starting job. The best coaches are always recruiting over their players.
In these days of portals and instant eligibility, I could see Jackson riding it out for at least another season. It would be his redshirt freshman season and he's one injury away. Worst case scenario, he gets coached up by a guru and looks for the best available starting job for his remaining 3 seasons of eligibility.

In these days of portals and instant eligibility, I could see Jackson riding it out for at least another season. It would be his redshirt freshman season and he's one injury away. Worst case scenario, he gets coached up by a guru and looks for the best available starting job for his remaining 3 seasons of eligibility.

Guessing Jackson gets a redshirt this season. He didn’t play in more than 4 games, did he?

Getting him in for bowl practice is huge. Not just in terms of learning the offense, but getting him in a college weight/nutrition program. He needs to gain at least 15 lbs. before next season. 20 would be ideal.

I think he'll do most of that pretty easily.

Since we lose Tillman and Hyatt, I hope we go after a really talented WR via transfer portal.

Bru and Keyton are good players.
Squirrel is dynamic but there's just one of him. But we really need a veteran that can make the big play too

Leacock should come in ready I hope.

Reactions: NighthawkVol
I love Joe but with his accuracy issues I can see Nico taking over midway through the season next year (depending on how Nico develops) a lot like Kelly Bryant/Trevor Lawrence at Clemson a few years ago.
The maddening thing is that I don't think he's had accuracy issues on passes that are 20 yards or less. He just overthrows the deep ball a lot and also looks to throw deep too much. I think if he would just settle down and focus on making those 10-15 yard passes that are there, then the offense wouldn't miss a beat and he would probably be settled down enough to make those deep throws when a good opportunity presents itself. He's made those deep throws all season when he's been in there late in games with zero pressure but now that he's "the guy" we saw the same overthrows from last season. He looks calm out there, but I do think he's probably too anxious to make that big play. Some QBs need the playcaller to give them some easy throws to help settle them into the game, and Milton may be one of those guys. If they can get him in the right spot mentally, then the sky is the limit. Hopefully the coaches finally figure out exactly what Milton needs to unlock his potential this next month in bowl prep.

Unless Joe fixes the overthrows Nico is going to play early.
I think that Jackson will give Joe a run for his money next year. I was really hoping Joe would be a changed QB after spending this year working on his game, but I don’t think he’s ever going to fix the issues that plague him. I hope I’m wrong.

Reactions: swampfoxfan
Joe had a bad game where it rained the entire time, like most QBs do. The bad weather, and his bad passing game, resulted in us running for *362* yards. Oh darn.

Nothing would please me more than seeing Nico look like peak HH by game 1, but Joe will do fine until Nico is ready. Joe's stats on the season were much better than last night, so while he may never be HH, he'll be serviceable. We'll see at the bowl game when it actually matters. VU game was never in doubt, so I can see how that could factor into how he played and how the game was called.

VN Store

Back