‘23 CA QB Nicholaus Iamaleava (Tennessee)

And the most relevant comparison, Tayven Jackson, didn't...and it wasn't even SEC...it was garbage time against UTM.

Of course he could survive. Or not. Hopefully we don't need to find out.
Yeah the ground’s hard…no matter how much you weigh.

Reactions: HeadVol77
how would gaining 10-15 pounds change his accuracy? I dont know, I'm asking.
He was just saying that gaining weight is still good, but him being an accurate passer is more important than him gaining weight. No correlation between the two.

I think a lot of folks forget how Tyler Bray was Nico's size for his entire freshman season and did fine. Nico will get bigger, but it isn't a requirement in order for him to play. There are skinny receivers that get hit a lot more than a QB and are fine. Has more to do with the individual and the type of hits they're taking.

Nico is too skinny to survive his freshman year against the SEC meat grinder. Bazooka Joe gets next year and the Tayven Jackson is second man up. It’s simple

Not sure if you are being serious? Nobody on this board knows what will happen. Shoot the coaches do not know what will happen at this point. But the odds of Tayven being the backup and Nico being 3rd string are very, very low.

Reactions: Smokey19rt
It took Josh Allen until his 2nd year in the NFL to fix his accuracy issues. He was very similar to Milton while at Wyoming. Only a 56% passer and his incredible arm strength was the problem. Couldn't throw with touch and overthrew a lot. Just couldn't reign it in and throw with touch and accuracy. But he was drafted based on physical ability. He finally got it fixed in Buffalo with a great QB tutor.

We don't know if Milton will get it fixed in college (unlike Allen). Or at all. But I think Allen is an example that, just because a guy hasn't fixed it yet, that doesn't mean "he is what he is" and always will be. Allen was what he was until he wasn't. Milton may never get it fixed. But the fact that he had this problem at Michigan and last year doesn't mean that he won't, either.

Of course then there is always Example B – Cam Newton.

I live in the Charlotte area and watched Newton every Sunday for years. He never learned touch and continued to throw 90 MPH, High and Inaccurate on 60% of his throws during his NFL career.

I hope Newton learns but I also Hope CJH learned from last year and gets Nico and Jackson ready to be plan B in 2023 if Joe doesn’t continue to improve. I think we may see a change by the cocks game as CJH can’t afford to lose two in a row to them.

Didn’t some of our EE’s last year show up in December and participate is bowl practices? I think I remember that. Maybe Nico can come in and get his feet under him with 15 bowl practices and be somewhat comfortable when Spring practice rolls around. Joe is the starter next year and I don’t there is a debate currently.
That’s why I asked the question. I know the current fall semester ends Dec 14 and then there is the mini semester coming up he could be enrolled in to start practice.

Of course then there is always Example B – Cam Newton.

I live in the Charlotte area and watched Newton every Sunday for years. He never learned touch and continued to throw 90 MPH, High and Inaccurate on 60% of his throws during his NFL career.

I hope Newton learns but I also Hope CJH learned from last year and gets Nico and Jackson ready to be plan B in 2023 if Joe doesn’t continue to improve. I think we may see a change by the cocks game as CJH can’t afford to lose two in a row to them.

I'm not saying there aren't examples to the contrary. Just that there are examples both ways, so it's not accurate to say, "if he hasn't fixed it by now, he never will." We simply don't know if he will or not. This offseason will be huge for him.

Also, Cam Newton won the Heisman and a NC at Auburn. So if he's the example to the contrary, I'll take that for Joe.

I'm not saying there aren't examples to the contrary. Just that there are examples both ways, so it's not accurate to say, "if he hasn't fixed it by now, he never will." We simply don't know if he will or not. This offseason will be huge for him.

Also, Cam Newton won the Heisman and a NC at Auburn. So if he's the example to the contrary, I'll take that for Joe.
Agree on taking the NC. My point was more that I believe at this point Joe will not change and CJH will have to scheme to his strengths or go to plan B or C.

Reactions: TitanicVolz
This off-season will be huge for him 🤦🏻‍♂️...I mean how many of these "Offseasons" does this kid need??This is a never ending debate and both sides continue to say the same things ad nauseum.If doesnt reslly matter if ur using science or patterns or whatever bill nye the science guy crsp u spew the facts we have to date say Milton can't be a starting Sec qb.

I hope he does and blows us away but I don't think it happens unfortunately.There isn't one single shred of evidence thar says he can lead this football team into the swamp or Alabama and get us a win,if anything it's completely opposite and more likely than not he sh*ts the bed

Agree on taking the NC. My point was more that I believe at this point Joe will not change and CJH will have to scheme to his strengths or go to plan B or C.
Agree with ya on the scheme to his strengths thing.Hes got enuff potential and talent u might be able to game plan around ur lower tier Sec teams or FCS squads.Now Bama Georgia games that matter these D coordinators will eat him alive.I hope he succeeds but after half a decade and losing his job 3 or 4 times I just don't see it happening.

Reactions: Dadof2Vols
Sure he can. I think we tend to underestimate what it takes to run that offense at the speed required. I think it may take more than 9 months to get mentally comfortable, even if physically ready.

I think you're woefully uneducated about Nico and the type of system he has played in for 2 years, and the nuances of playing QB in general.

You're literally advocating for Tennessee to have a losing season over playing the better younger better QB just for the sake of youth.

Problem is you don't seem to understand Heupel likes to run the ball. And that is balanced BY the wide splits and the Wrs stretches the field sideways AND VERTICAL.

You get Neither of those with Joe Milton because of not only lack of accuracy, but bad decision making. Most prominent examples his number of deep shots taken when it's obviously not his strong suit.

Yet, he'll continue to do it, while steady bobbin his damn head @ 50% completion.

This off-season will be huge for him 🤦🏻‍♂️...I mean how many of these "Offseasons" does this kid need??This is a never ending debate and both sides continue to say the same things ad nauseum.If doesnt reslly matter if ur using science or patterns or whatever bill nye the science guy crsp u spew the facts we have to date say Milton can't be a starting Sec qb.

I hope he does and blows us away but I don't think it happens unfortunately.There isn't one single shred of evidence thar says he can lead this football team into the swamp or Alabama and get us a win,if anything it's completely opposite and more likely than not he sh*ts the bed

It's not crapping the bed.
Peyton vs Florida is more crapping the bed.
Even tho Peyton had pretty decent numbers most years vs UF.

Joe Milton simply IS NOT an even decent QB.
He's far from good, and doesn't even grasp many of the small details of the position.
Foundational stuff like taking the check down , or running in open space on 3rd and short.

He's a complete momentum killer at QB.

It's astonishing how many people on here CANT SEE WHAT'S RIGHT IN FRONT OF THEM.

Reactions: TitanicVolz
Not sure if you are being serious? Nobody on this board knows what will happen. Shoot the coaches do not know what will happen at this point. But the odds of Tayven being the backup and Nico being 3rd string are very, very low.
i see Harrison Bailey syndrome lingering in this thread

Reactions: LittleVol
Nico needs to be accurate. This offense runs on accuracy over arm strength. Yes gain 10-15 lb. But be accurate
He's the most accurate QB I've ever seen.
Very high-level ball placement.

And he loves Tom Brady. Why do I mention that? Because he spreads the ball to everyone. Just like Tom.

I watched him Summer Camps, watched him on TV and in person twice this season.

On average 7 different receivers caught a pass from him over those games.
Very quick release, and he's as athletic as Hendon Hooker. He won't be taking a bunch of hits.

Does he need to gain weight. Yeah. But what good is that if you can't keep the offense on the field and put up points?

I think you're woefully uneducated about Nico and the type of system he has played in for 2 years, and the nuances of playing QB in general.

You're literally advocating for Tennessee to have a losing season over playing the better younger better QB just for the sake of youth.

Problem is you don't seem to understand Heupel likes to run the ball. And that is balanced BY the wide splits and the Wrs stretches the field sideways AND VERTICAL.

You get Neither of those with Joe Milton because of not only lack of accuracy, but bad decision making. Most prominent examples his number of deep shots taken when it's obviously not his strong suit.

Yet, he'll continue to do it, while steady bobbin his damn head @ 50% completion.

I am advocating for nothing except to the trust the coaches to do their job. But you keep doing you bro!

VN Store

Back