‘23 CA QB Nicholaus Iamaleava (Tennessee)

Joe had a bad game where it rained the entire time, like most QBs do. The bad weather, and his bad passing game, resulted in us running for *362* yards. Oh darn.

Nothing would please me more than seeing Nico look like peak HH by game 1, but Joe will do fine until Nico is ready. Joe's stats on the season were much better than last night, so while he may never be HH, he'll be serviceable. We'll see at the bowl game when it actually matters. VU game was never in doubt, so I can see how that could factor into how he played and how the game was called.
OR we can use those cupcake games to start the season to ready Nico for conference play??

Vs what you're recommending...to let Joe struggle and struggle while Nico sits the bench and then is forced to take over after Joe gets us behind against Florida and with very little reps in his pocket.

Reactions: VolGirl05
Hope Nico comes in ready to work his ass off. Joe has all the talent in the world, just need it to “click” for him. With how this season has unfolded, I completely trust this coaching staff to get the most out of their players
Me too.

So why can't they do it with Joe??

That's the question people won't ask.

It's OBVIOUS as to why, yet people stay insane about it...

OR we can use those cupcake games to start the season to ready Nico for conference play??

Vs what you're recommending...to let Joe struggle and struggle while Nico sits the bench and then is forced to take over after Joe gets us behind against Florida and with very little reps in his pocket.

I didn't make a recommendation. Unlike you, I don't pretend to know better than the staff that just set the all time scoring record at UT. I'm just pointing out that in spite of the constant negativity toward Joe, his season stats aren't as bad as you would be led to believe, and I think he'll be fine for as long as we need him to be.

But hey, if Joe starts, maybe Nico can get his collar bone broken against cupcakes in garbage time.

I don't have a lot of faith that Joe Milton ever gets it together, but I don't know he won't and neither do you. As for Nico coming in and starting, I remember a certain ga.high school QB that was going to solve all our problems,and remember just how that worked out. Coaches have from now until September 2024 to figure that out, I trust them.

Reactions: SweetasSoda
Me too.

So why can't they do it with Joe??

That's the question people won't ask.

It's OBVIOUS as to why, yet people stay insane about it...
My theory on Milton is that he got by on raw talent his entire football career. For being so highly touted out of high school, his stats are very underwhelming.
Doubt he had much coaching at UM before hitting the portal - I see it as only having 1 FULL offseason with this staff. Like I said, all the talent in the world, let’s see if this staff can get it to click for him

Reactions: NighthawkVol
I think the plan is Milton is gonna start the year next year. Nico is gonna get to play regardless of whether Milton keeps the job. I really don't think redshirting will be an option because Nico is gonna be the backup. Heupel will be quick to get Nico experience because 2024 is gonna be his year and he will need valuable reps. I hope Milton has a great year and we don't have to rely on playing Nico all the way, but I think that's what ends up happening. Joe just doesn't have a feel for it.

He's BEEN overthrowing.

Did you not watch last year?

Or his tape at Michigan??
Yeah THAT Michigan that is undefeated but could only win 3 games with him at QB...

It took Josh Allen until his 2nd year in the NFL to fix his accuracy issues. He was very similar to Milton while at Wyoming. Only a 56% passer and his incredible arm strength was the problem. Couldn't throw with touch and overthrew a lot. Just couldn't reign it in and throw with touch and accuracy. But he was drafted based on physical ability. He finally got it fixed in Buffalo with a great QB tutor.

We don't know if Milton will get it fixed in college (unlike Allen). Or at all. But I think Allen is an example that, just because a guy hasn't fixed it yet, that doesn't mean "he is what he is" and always will be. Allen was what he was until he wasn't. Milton may never get it fixed. But the fact that he had this problem at Michigan and last year doesn't mean that he won't, either.

Early enrollee, January classes.

Didn’t some of our EE’s last year show up in December and participate is bowl practices? I think I remember that. Maybe Nico can come in and get his feet under him with 15 bowl practices and be somewhat comfortable when Spring practice rolls around. Joe is the starter next year and I don’t there is a debate currently.

Reactions: NighthawkVol
But I think his point is White is smaller and COMPETED just fine in the SEC.

So far.

I fully understood the point. Comparing a non-critical WR surviving his freshman season to a critical QB isn't really a fair comparison. Maybe we can get TJ's thoughts on it.

Time to acclimate is always preferable. Hopefully Nico won't be required early.

So far.

I fully understood the point. Comparing a non-critical WR surviving his freshman season to a critical QB isn't really a fair comparison. Maybe we can get TJ's thoughts on it.

Time to acclimate is always preferable. Hopefully Nico won't be required early.
The respective beatings each position endures is what I’m addressing. Bray survived sufficiently his true freshman season as did Josh Dobbs. Neither were Tim Tebow types…more rail thin and lanky. Neither were blessed with dominant OL’s either. Not disagreeing that it would be ideal for Nico to learn the college game at a slower pace, but it’s not too physically brutal for him in the SEC.

He's not getting hunted down by 300 pound beasts every single play while standing in the pocket. Can't compare QB and receiver positions. Vast majority of the time a receiver is getting hit by a fellow sub 215 pounder.
No but he’s had to catch passes with 200 lb missiles bearing down on him and it’s easier to brace for a pass rusher than a gunner on a punt return. Faster hits harder.

The respective beatings each position endures is what I’m addressing. Bray survived sufficiently his true freshman season as did Josh Dobbs. Neither were Tim Tebow types…more rail thin and lanky. Neither were blessed with dominant OL’s either. Not disagreeing that it would be ideal for Nico to learn the college game at a slower pace, but it’s not too physically brutal for him in the SEC.

And the most relevant comparison, Tayven Jackson, didn't...and it wasn't even SEC...it was garbage time against UTM.

Of course he could survive. Or not. Hopefully we don't need to find out.

Reactions: Stacmot

VN Store

Back