'18 CA QB JT Shrout (UT signee)

How do we feel about Shrout over Martinez/Penix?

For me, I’m feeling better with Shrout over Martinez because of injuries/fit. IDK about Penix. That one just sucks because Penix was so loyal to us, even after the dumpster fire end of the 2017 season. Feel bad for him.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
How do we feel about Shrout over Martinez/Penix?

Think there are some differences in the type of quarterbacks they are. Shrout has a huge ceiling though, if Pruitt and the team can develop him, he can certainly be elite.

Great find this late in the cycle! BOOM!

Wasn't Martinez committed to Cal at one point as well? Does this make the second QB we've taken from them? lol

For me, I’m feeling better with Shrout over Martinez because of injuries/fit. IDK about Penix.

Opposite for me.

Shrout over Penix.
Martinez over Shrout.

I think this kid has a high upside. Very little experience but has the tools. Luckily he doesn’t have to start right away and has time to develop.

Wasn't Martinez committed to Cal at one point as well? Does this make the second QB we've taken from them? lol

giphy.gif

I'm higher on JT than I was Martinez. JT is over a year removed from his leg injury and proved he was over it. Huge upside in what looks to be a perfect O for his skillset. Martinez missed his senior season recovering from shoulder surgery. He is more of a DT, perfect for Frost/Nebraska.

So in the end, both schools and players are linked up the way they should IMO.

Opposite for me.

Shrout over Penix.
Martinez over Shrout.

I think this kid has a high upside. Very little experience but has the tools. Luckily he doesn’t have to start right away and has time to develop.

I just feel really bad for Penix, too. He wanted to be a Vol and was loyal. Martinez jumped on the Frost bandwagon. Luckily, looks like we’re gonna steal a bunch of Nebraska targets and stick it back to the Corn people a bit.

Opposite for me.

Shrout over Penix.
Martinez over Shrout.

He's a project. But...., hes a project that you take a flier on.

Has all the tools you look for. Good arm, quick release, pretty good mechanics, needs to really work on footwork but most Qbs out of HS do as well, and has the size that most programs look for (6'4" 200 lbs +).

If he comes in and puts in the work on the field and in the film room he could be special. Really needs to be coached up and shown how to go through his progression.

Only time will tell.

Welcome aboard Young Man. GBO VFL

I just feel really bad for Penix, too. He wanted to be a Vol and was loyal. Martinez jumped on the Frost bandwagon. Luckily, looks like we’re gonna steal a bunch of Nebraska targets and stick it back to the Corn people a bit.

Yeah I did feel bad for him as well. Wish him luck.

VN Store

Back