‘23 CA QB Jaden Rashada

No one knows, this is all new. And it’s the wild Wild West. People are saying over 13 million, and then several National guys are saying numbers are nowhere near that. I wonder if we ever know the truth. I hate to see kids nickle and dime these schools, but if someone offered me 13 million, and then said nevermind, here’s 3 million, I’d be mad.

Heck, my dad offered me $100 to crack 3 eggs over my head when I was 12, and then cracked 2 and changed his mind, and I’m still pissed about that 30+ years later
ComplexApprehensiveHornshark-max-1mb.gif

This NIL stuff is a major major problem for programs. Once you start promising money you can't put that genie in the bottle. I'm no UF supporter but 3 years ago they get this guy without offering a dime. And he stays committed. Now it's about the money with these kids.

Just wait until your ticket prices go up. I know this NIL is done outside the university until it isn't.
Actually what is sad is promising something you can’t deliver on. And I agree that is a absurd amount of money to give a player straight out of high school without any stipulations if that is true. It is even more stupid to promise it and not deliver. Texas A@M kinda learned the hard way last year.There is nothing wrong with players making money on their name image and likeness but the teams that put in their evaluations and make smart and straight forward deals come out much better in the long run. Not doing your homework and trying to just wildly throw money around without any organization isn’t wise. GBO!!!!

Reactions: DarthVol1
Yep. They have benefited from it. Not me, the average fan. Why should I pay for a privileged athlete to get a deal with the university that I was never offered? I had to work my way through. When I consider the cost of tickets and donations my opinion is for the university to get its own athletes.
Because NIL has nothing to do with you or "privileged athletes"... Its endorsement deals, just like professional athletes and celebrities of all kinds have. *YOU* don't pay for anything other than whatever the school uses your donation for. It amuses me you have this vision that these kids aren't working their way through school like you did. Pre-NIL they could only earn so much per year, period. And that wasn't enough to feed themselves. They earn their scholarships and they should, and finally do, have the right to make money off their image just like the rest of us do. It's absolutely asinine that it hasn't been this way all along.

So he’s officially missed the deadline now?

No. There’s no doubt that the administration would make an exception if he suddenly wants to show up tomorrow. But I would say if he was coming he would have been here.

Because NIL has nothing to do with you or "privileged athletes"... Its endorsement deals, just like professional athletes and celebrities of all kinds have. *YOU* don't pay for anything other than whatever the school uses your donation for. It amuses me you have this vision that these kids aren't working their way through school like you did. Pre-NIL they could only earn so much per year, period. And that wasn't enough to feed themselves. They earn their scholarships and they should, and finally do, have the right to make money off their image just like the rest of us do. It's absolutely asinine that it hasn't been this way all along.
I respectfully disagree.
These aren't professional athletes, so they shouldn't be treated as such. A vast majority of students athletes are given scholarships that pay for tuition, books, meals, and any additional fees the college adds to their bill. Lots of these schloarships are paid at 100%, so no debt after college. Not to mention weight and strength training, nutrition plan, team Physician's, better amenities, and "perks" from local establishments. None of this is given to those non-student athletes. What money, if any, the institution might make from a students 'name, image, & likeness', likely meant the athlete was destined for the pros. They will then be rewarded monetarily at that time for their ability. Not sure how much money the school made on "NIL" of a 3rd - 4th string player, but that player still enjoyed the perks of the "star" athlete. No more going to a school where my grandparents, parents, or favorite player went because of love for that school, it is now about making a business decision for some of these 17-18 year old kids. Running onto a field, court, or track should mean something because you grew up following/loving that team, not because they bought you to do it. With this, the passion leaves because the player gets paid, win or lose. I understand we are now in a different era, but I completely disagree with paying HS/college kids to play a game. $100k education for free should be enough.
JMO

Reactions: onevol74

I don't disagree with your view that they should be allowed to make money just like I did. But shaming fans into contributing to these collectives is ridiculous. Many of us see this as a system of blackmail where if you want a championship team you are going to have to buy the athletes. Do you think it really costs $2mil per year for a player to survive in an athletic program where it is all tuition free with 100% room and board with the perks that athletes receive? Perks that other students are not entitled to?

There are too many future educators, health care, community service, and professional students in our university struggling just to afford school that are going to contribute to the success of the future of our state and community that deserve more attention.

I totally agree with scholarships for the talented and especially for those who can not afford a good education. And I support the path to professionalism that promotes wealth for their effort. This is an educational system that still promotes growth and development. Not a professional level or semi-pro entity. It is becoming a farce when you have players that do not even attend class the Fall semester and just play football because they are going to the pros. We have abused the system and education is just an afterthought.

I respectfully disagree.
These aren't professional athletes, so they shouldn't be treated as such. A vast majority of students athletes are given scholarships that pay for tuition, books, meals, and any additional fees the college adds to their bill. Lots of these schloarships are paid at 100%, so no debt after college. Not to mention weight and strength training, nutrition plan, team Physician's, better amenities, and "perks" from local establishments. None of this is given to those non-student athletes. What money, if any, the institution might make from a students 'name, image, & likeness', likely meant the athlete was destined for the pros. They will then be rewarded monetarily at that time for their ability. Not sure how much money the school made on "NIL" of a 3rd - 4th string player, but that player still enjoyed the perks of the "star" athlete. No more going to a school where my grandparents, parents, or favorite player went because of love for that school, it is now about making a business decision for some of these 17-18 year old kids. Running onto a field, court, or track should mean something because you grew up following/loving that team, not because they bought you to do it. With this, the passion leaves because the player gets paid, win or lose. I understand we are now in a different era, but I completely disagree with paying HS/college kids to play a game. $100k education for free should be enough.
JMO

You think the player is the problem here? If you were promised X a year and then they try actually giving you less, I think you’d be looking for a new workplace too

Are you really this bad at reading comprehension? Where in the post did I place blame on anyone? I simply questioned the sanity of offering a kid that's never taken a snap in college that kind of money. I seriously doubt wherever his next stop is, he gets anywhere close to that. Trying reading slower next time. Take it all in.

Last edited:
I respectfully disagree.
JMO
I hate that it’s not enough, and love for the school and passion are being taken out of the game. All the money schools are bringing in made it impossible for it to continue the way it was. Now a few players really are going to be paid professional athletes. Money ruins everything.

Reactions: onevol74
I respectfully disagree.
JMO

Yes bc the advent of NIL is the first time any players have been paid to attend school. Every kid went to the school they grew up loving and no one was paid under the table or given family perks (jobs, houses, etc) to attend a specific school.

So odd to have a problem with players now maximizing their earning potential.

Is this not America?

And maybe the “vast majority” of football players have their scholarships 100% and cover everything, but what about other sports? Baseball players can now make NIL. Did you know a D1 baseball team gets only 11.7 full scholarships spread across 30 players on a roster? But for the love of the game yada yada yada

VN Store

Back