'19 CA LB Henry To'oto'o (Tennessee Signee)

With all due respect, I'd not call it "on point" I appreciate his posts but he's at the mercy of his sources and they were so big misses he called as ours...
You are never at the mercy of your sources but you are at the mercy of yourself.

Reactions: igotworms
Then your coaches are over valued. Not worth millions if they are not miracle workers.
Who said coaches are miracle workers? also coaches are so overpaid because of the revenue that a successful football team creates, it's one of those "you have to spend money to make money" scenarios, and don't bother responding because this is the last time I'm going to engage you because you seem like a Troll

50% of doctors who graduate from medical school are in the bottom half of their class. Even more unacceptable.

So you're not saying someone who finishes 51st percentile at John Hopins is better than some who finshied top 10 in some third world medical scholl?

Who honestly cares about where the boys come from? If they’re a good player Idc where they lived. If that happens to be in Tennessee great but if it means we win I couldn’t care less
I don't care either and maybe you missed the progression of this conversation.

I contend that ANY UT coach will need to have success within the first 3 years if they are to survive. If they don't then they'll lose fan support but more importantly credibility with recruits. This problem is worse at UT because the Vols are so dependent on out of state talent. While other schools like UGA and UF can depend on a certain level of home state loyalty to sustain recruiting, UT can't.

If a coach at UT and actually some other schools does not have early success then their promise of future glory grows stale in favor of some other new coach who can make the same argument.... without 3 years of poor results.

I'm not trying to get under anyone's skin. I'm just saying that it's asinine to say that adding Wright to this current class will give us a better class than the 2010 or 2014 one. Now there's a possibility that some of the guys in this class would exceed expectations or at least meet them, but saying this class is the best one we've had since Fulmer was the coach before a single player even steps on the field is ridiculous
thats an excellent stance to hold. hold this class to a metric you know they can't meet yet, and compare them to the best players from classes in the past. absolutely outstanding reasoning. all the while ignoring at least 50% of the classes from 2010/14 that never played or really contributed.

why not hold them all to the same standard? like recruiting rankings, since that is the apples to apples comparison we have.

I'm not trying to get under anyone's skin. I'm just saying that it's asinine to say that adding Wright to this current class will give us a better class than the 2010 or 2014 one. Now there's a possibility that some of the guys in this class would exceed expectations or at least meet them, but saying this class is the best one we've had since Fulmer was the coach before a single player even steps on the field is ridiculous
It was the part where you said some kid was not coming to UT in definitive terms that I object to. You may not believe they are. There may be a very low probability. But you are in no position to declare with certainty what will happen in the future with a kid's choice unless you are that kid or someone very, very close. There's no reason to make such a statement other than to rub people raw who hold out hope.

I think this class has talent. If they add Wright then they've answered a foundational need by bringing in some talented OL's. A dominant OL can make up for weaknesses in other places. A weak OL... will magnify weaknesses in other places. That said, even making a comparison with a past class has inherent limitations. Competition is going to be different. The game has continued to evolve. We have no idea who will get injured or what some of the players from those classes might have been if injuries, grades, or bad decisions hadn't cut them short.

According to 247, in the five classes that resulted in Clemson's dominant NC run this year... UT recruited at roughly the same level. In '18, Clemson was #7 while UT was #21. But in the previous four years (CU/UT): 16/17, 11/14, 9/4, and 16/7. You could argue that in the 3 or 4 years that mattered most UT actually recruited a tad better according to 247.

If Pruitt finds the right players including some guys that don't have 4/5* and develops them... UT will stand a better chance of competing at a high level.

It was the part where you said some kid was not coming to UT in definitive terms that I object to. You may not believe they are. There may be a very low probability. But you are in no position to declare with certainty what will happen in the future with a kid's choice unless you are that kid or someone very, very close. There's no reason to make such a statement other than to rub people raw who hold out hope.

I think this class has talent. If they add Wright then they've answered a foundational need by bringing in some talented OL's. A dominant OL can make up for weaknesses in other places. A weak OL... will magnify weaknesses in other places. That said, even making a comparison with a past class has inherent limitations. Competition is going to be different. The game has continued to evolve. We have no idea who will get injured or what some of the players from those classes might have been if injuries, grades, or bad decisions hadn't cut them short.

According to 247, in the five classes that resulted in Clemson's dominant NC run this year... UT recruited at roughly the same level. In '18, Clemson was #7 while UT was #21. But in the previous four years (CU/UT): 16/17, 11/14, 9/4, and 16/7. You could argue that in the 3 or 4 years that mattered most UT actually recruited a tad better according to 247.

If Pruitt finds the right players including some guys that don't have 4/5* and develops them... UT will stand a better chance of competing at a high level.
The smart coach realizes that the recruiting services are worthless.

Reactions: OrangenSC
Reminds me of this Lou Holtz quote

We finished second in the country at Notre Dame, everybody called me an idiot. A guy finishes last in medical school, they call him doctor.
Reminds me of some dumb Bama fan's quote when they finished 2nd one year...

Saban did not like what he saw all season and cleaned house in the off season. Just look at the analyst he is bringing to fill off field roles like Mike Stoops and possibly Major Applewhite along with all the new staff members. But my point it does not matter who was the DC as CU's offense had more talent then our D and we were exposed. No different in 2014 when OSU and Meyer did the same. Even UGA and OU had better talent in the matchup of their O vs our D. The difference in those games there was a greater gap on the reverse side. CU they had the advantage on both sides of the ball.

We finished second in the country at Notre Dame, everybody called me an idiot. A guy finishes last in medical school, they call him doctor.
And I bet there was not a dry paper in front of them on the desk after he said it. The thing about Holtz it always bothered me is but he was fired and chased off on a rail at Arkansas for making racist comments about his own players, but the media completely forgot about that once he got to Notre Dame and he suddenly became their Golden Boy quote machine.

Our average per player is currently higher...quality over quantity with this staff..our class is good
Our class is good, very good imo. In some spots it’s great (OL for instance). Question is, is it good enough to make up the ground we need to make up to be competitive with UGA, Bama and Florida. On paper, the answer is no. Let’s hope the coaches are as good a developing talent as we all think/hope they are and that the whole is greater than the sum of the parts.

Reactions: StanfordVol

I'll take the student who finished bottom of the class at Harvard Medical School every single time over students who finished top of the class at Central University of the Caribbean.

Our class is good, very good imo. In some spots it’s great (OL for instance). Question is, is it good enough to make up the ground we need to make up to be competitive with UGA, Bama and Florida. On paper, the answer is no. Let’s hope the coaches are as good a developing talent as we all think/hope they are and that the whole is greater than the sum of the parts.
where were we behind the most? OL and DL.

OL we definitely made out better. DL brought in bodies we didn't have, so slight step up for us, but probably not when looking at the competition.

we have too many issues to fix in one class. even if we ended with To oto o and Pickens we would still be behind everyone else. its crazy to think that 1/2 more guys would make THAT much of a difference. unless they are that good, and we don't know that about anyone.

Reactions: KBVol and JacketVol
Reminds me of some dumb Bama fan's quote when they finished 2nd one year...

Saban did not like what he saw all season and cleaned house in the off season. Just look at the analyst he is bringing to fill off field roles like Mike Stoops and possibly Major Applewhite along with all the new staff members. But my point it does not matter who was the DC as CU's offense had more talent then our D and we were exposed. No different in 2014 when OSU and Meyer did the same. Even UGA and OU had better talent in the matchup of their O vs our D. The difference in those games there was a greater gap on the reverse side. CU they had the advantage on both sides of the ball.
You'd think he could find a place where there are some Bama fans where they can cry in each other's beer instead of bothering other people with their misery.

Reactions: PoweredByTheT

VN Store

Back