'24 CA ATH Kingston Lopa (Oregon commit)

I need to be schooled here folks…..what is the drawback to 6’5 safety? I mean if he has SEC speed and can hang with the WRs wouldn’t that just make him better.
Too tall.
Get out maneuvered and all that

(Very) respectfully disagree, and here's why: we're going to sign an incredible WR haul, IMO. Some 3-5 of Matthews/Harrell/Wingo/Wesco/Jefferson/Staley/Anderson/Young/other 4-stars. From my amateur viewpoint, Lopa isn't a *better* WR prospect than any of them. But what he IS is a 6'4-6'5 ~200 pound kid who can move well enough to play S/WR, plays aggressive AF, and has the frame to grow into a LB or Edge.

Ask yourself this: even IF Kirby had the type of offensive weapons Heupel has already and is recruiting in this cycle, where would he put a freak like Lopa? I think we know the answer, and IMO if we want to become truly elite we need to put kids like this on defense and let them wreak havoc.
My statement had to do with what position he looked better playing in his highlights. You are correct in our chances to land some highly regarded WRs, but 6'5 physical WRs with speed are a rarity and a match up nightmare. We only have one WR committed right now and he's a bit flaky. This offense has worked best when you have a physical possession type WR, a speedy WR, and a more all- purpose WR. As to your reference of Kirby, I stated in a different thread that we will never consistently beat Kirby or Saban trying to copycat what they do. Soooo....I never really ask myself what those guys would do in regards to UT.

Reactions: BelieveTheHeup93
That's why there are no 6'5" point guards in basketball. They are too slow at that height. Right?

Funny that someone else posted that a 6'5" WR was a matchup nightmare. Seems like a 6'5" DB would be an answer to that nightmare.
You want Micheal Jordan at safety??

That's why there are no 6'5" point guards in basketball. They are too slow at that height. Right?

Funny that someone else posted that a 6'5" WR was a matchup nightmare. Seems like a 6'5" DB would be an answer to that nightmare.
It’s not about straight line speed as much as it is agility and being able to change directions smoothly without losing speed

Sean Taylor

6'3" 220
Taylor had a 40-yard dash time of 4.51, had a 39" vertical, completed 11 bench presses, and scored a 10 on the wonderlic.

Reactions: Cosmo Kramer
Tbats
It’s not about straight line speed as much as it is agility and being able to change directions smoothly without losing speed
So taller players are never agile and are incapable of quick cuts?. I'll agree with height and quickness being negatively correlated in a large population, but it isn't impossible for a tall person who is fast to also be agile.

Reactions: SmokeyDaBear
Tbats

So taller players are never agile and are incapable of quick cuts?. I'll agree with height and quickness being negatively correlated in a large population, but it isn't impossible for a tall person who is fast to also be agile.
This kid actually has really quick feet to be 6'5 so it's not that he wouldn't be able to play DB in this instance. I think he translates better at WR for us for 2 reasons.
1. He looks much more natural and dominant at WR in his highlights.
2. These coaches obviously really want a 6'5 athletic WR in the offense. They went hard after Kyler Kasper but didn't land him. Then when the portal opened, they went all in on Thornton. This kid actually reminds me a lot of Kasper in highlights at WR. He also has the rare quickness for a guy that size, instead of being a long strider which makes him very similar to Thornton.

Sacramento athlete Kingston Lopa had a great time last weekend and would be an option at receiver. He met with both sides last weekend and loved his visit. The Vols made a strong impression on the Polynesian playmaker. Washington and Oregon are working him hard so it will be interesting to see how things play out over the next month. He will visit officially next weekend.
-VQ

Just watched him and I think he has the chance to be great at receiver. I would be ecstatic if we landed him. 6'4+, moves incredibly well, good speed, amazing red zone target with size/route running/amazing high point ability. Has that physicality you would expect from a defensive player which should translate to being a good, competitive blocker too

VN Store

Back