Bye week observations and random thoughts

OrangeByBirth

Old time Vol
The bye week was at a great time.
There is a solid opportunity to finish with 5 (and 6) wins in a row. ONE AT A TIME
Misery looked beatable. The NCAA is not helping their motivation,
It was nice to see Tennessee in the top half of the SEC E standings.
Oklahoma must employ the same officials that 'bama uses in the SEC ... Baylor got hosed.
Talk of UT vs Mich in the Gator Bowl is scary. UT has never lost to Michigan and I would hate to see that end.
The PAC may be better than the Big12. That surprises me.
Is Tua fragile or unlucky?
Joe Barrow and LSU are for real.
The playoff question for today and probably the rest of the season is, "Who is #4?"
Where would UT be ranked without the 1st 2 losses? MIND BOGGLING.

Something must be done about the continuous "targeting" fouls/calls/reviews/etc. Every game seemed to feature several of those delays. I still think the easy solution is to eliminate the high tech helmets in favor of old leather helmets.

GO BIG ORANGE!

The bye week did come just in time for us. We were definitely in need of a rest. Agree on officiating in the Baylor game. When it's that bad, I can't help but wonder if some college games are fixed. I think I would put Oregon ahead of Oklahoma for the fourth spot in the playoffs. LSU's offense looks unstoppable. If they lose, I think it will be their defense that let's them down. Our O-line will have to play very well if we're going to beat Missouri.

It's extremely boring from a bitching perspective. The football team is playing at 100% of their abilities, coach has proved he can hold his own on game day, basketball team is playing better than anticipated and also look well coached, the Lady Vols are chugging on all cylinders and the coach is looks like she has control of the situation. Close this website there is nothing to discuss, order a bigger TV sit back and get ready!

Not sure about the efficacy of leather helmets. But one idea I heard a while back might have some merit. Remove the face masks. Won't be much helmet to helmet when your face is at risk of being the first point of contact.

Reactions: sameolvol
We needed time to heal.
Mizzou will be a tough out. I'm expecting a defensive battle. I like our chances on the 50/50 balls.
I've thought for years that certain schools get the green light. Just listen to a game being announced the bias is so obvious that my 95 year old Mamma can tell. Live wrestling at its best. Before you say that's silly and no way games could be tilted just remember they never did figure out who was on the grassy knoll.
Tua is a great QB and seems to be a great person (wish we had him) I think he has had a string of bad luck.
LSU better find a D or they will not win a Championship.
Targeting is a difficult issue to figure out. One thing that has puzzled me since the rule changes is the ball carrier a lot of times lowers his head to punish a tackler but I've never seen it called.
Right now I would put Alabama 4.

Reactions: Chippo
Not sure about the efficacy of leather helmets. But one idea I heard a while back might have some merit. Remove the face masks. Won't be much helmet to helmet when your face is at risk of being the first point of contact.
The crown of a helmet hit to a face could be fatal I'm not sure that's what we want. I still think there need to be rule changes/adjustments

There is a solid opportunity to finish with 5 (and 6) wins in a row. ONE AT A TIME
Oklahoma must employ the same officials that 'bama uses in the SEC ... Baylor got hosed.
Talk of UT vs Mich in the Gator Bowl is scary. UT has never lost to Michigan and I would hate to see that end.
The playoff question for today and probably the rest of the season is, "Who is #4?"

Something must be done about the continuous "targeting" fouls/calls/reviews/etc. Every game seemed to feature several of those delays. I still think the easy solution is to eliminate the high tech helmets in favor of old leather helmets.

GO BIG ORANGE!

I have a couple of those old helmets, if you want to test drive them through a couple scrimmages.

I’ll preface with my coaching experience has been at youth and middle school levels. We teach heads up tackling, unfortunately not all do. If one of ours lowers their head at the pint of contact they are relegated to doing up downs as a reminder to keep their heads up. I also give them examples of what can happen if you don’t. If they are taught this consistently from a young age it becomes muscle memory and is all they know. Again, unfortunately we play teams that are supposed to teach this as well but do not and it’s never fun to see a kid concussed.

Reactions: Vfl2407
The bye week did come just in time for us. We were definitely in need of a rest. Agree on officiating in the Baylor game. When it's that bad, I can't help but wonder if some college games are fixed. I think I would put Oregon ahead of Oklahoma for the fourth spot in the playoffs. LSU's offense looks unstoppable. If they lose, I think it will be their defense that let's them down. Our O-line will have to play very well if we're going to beat Missouri.
Official may not affect end results of games but many times affect how games trend. Ala vs. Tenn is a prime example this year.

Official may not affect end results of games but many times affect how games trend. Ala vs. Tenn is a prime example this year.
Absolutely. Some people mistakenly just look at the number of penalties called against each team and,if they're about even, they think there is no bias. It's when the penalties are called and what effect they have on the outcome that counts. The bogus roughing penalty would be a prime example. It's like Pruitt said about us getting no penalties all the way down the field but when we get inside the ten, the flags start flying. Officials can definitely steer a game in the direction they want it to go and with as much money as there is at stake, it would be foolish to think it can't happen.

Targeting
The simplest solution would just be to go back to the old spearing rule. Due to modern player safety concerns, and the optics that would present, reverting back to the old spearing rule just won't happen though.

2. It's either time to start calling it on offensive players or make it a non call if the offensive player lowers his head first.
There have been too many instances where the defender is actually defenseless from the crown of the ball carriers helmet because the ball carrier lowered his head first.
More targeting calls would actually be awful if they actually started calling offensive players more....
Again because of the optics, there is no chance of modifying the rules to explicitly absolve a tackler.

3. Don't call targeting on the field anymore and review all roughing calls for targeting.

As I understand it roughing and targeting are separate calls. There have been instances where a targeting call was overturned, letting the defense get away with what should have been at least a roughing penalty.

Isn't the wording of the rules that you have to have overwhelming evidence to overturn a call on the field?
That would explain why Bituli's B.S. targeting penalty stood against AL, because there certainly wasn't any angle of helmet to helmet contact in the replay angles we saw. Not being able to prove there was targeting also kinda screwed us as we had no clear angle of Bituli's helmet hitting the shoulder pads only; hence the ruling on the field stood.

They would actually review more plays for targeting under the scenario described. I believe the amount of targeting penalties actually enforced would drop by about a 3rd or more if the burden of review was to prove it did happen rather than it didn't.

IMG_3498.jpg

GO BIG ORANGE!
I agree - the helmets have been weaponized...Back in the day, our helmets were lightly padded...and the game was played with your shoulder pads.

LSU better find a D or they will not win a Championship.

Unless a half dozen guys drop out of the sky I don't expect to see much improvement from the defense this year. The defensive line although there is depth, is mostly average with no ability to put pressure on the QB. LBs are horrible, basically all suck at this point. The secondary is good but no depth.

I would say LSU's defense needs to just get a few stops here and there most its going to be on the offense.

Reactions: OldVolMan
There are an alarming amount of tix. available for the Vandy game; several thousand, but I'll be there.

I sure hope Alabama doesn't luck into that #4 spot.

They do not deserve it.

They are not a championship caliber team.

But they are ref and media darlings who get the benefit of the doubt.

What scenarios need to play out to see them end up #5 or worse?

Reactions: DiderotsGhost
Missouri is going to be a tough game. Their defense is legit and they are a different team at home.
UT can't run the ball. Dead last in yards per carry and rushing TDs.
Jim Chaney was a great addition. Getting it done with a QB rotation and 50/50 balls.
The fourth playoff team is Georgia if they beat LSU. Winner of Utah/Oregon if they don't.
If UT wins out, I will forget about the first two games.
The Iron Bowl just got very interesting with Tua going down.
LSU is for real. Great story. Joe Brady and Joe Burrow made it possible. I hope LSU has a QB to replace Burrow.
Daniel Bituli is going to be missed. Tackling machine. We don't lose those first two games if he had played.
Nigel Warrior has had a great season. Started slow, but has put together a solid year.
Tracy Rocker is a good coach. DL was a huge question mark to start the season. Been solid all year. Son is a stud pitcher BTW.
Jauan Jennings is a dog. Memorable catches in wins against GA, FLA, and a stellar senior year. Props.
Marquez Callaway is in the same category as JJ. Class act. So many clutch catches. I can't recall a single drop. One of the best ever at UT.
JG deserves better. I have been a critic, but there is no doubt he gives his all for UT. His toughness is undeniable.
Georgia gave up their first rushing TD yesterday. And it was a QB keeper. Amazing.

Reactions: ptcarter
I sure hope Alabama doesn't luck into that #4 spot.

They do not deserve it.

They are not a championship caliber team.

But they are ref and media darlings who get the benefit of the doubt.

What scenarios need to play out to see them end up #5 or worse?
Bama is a long shot with Tua gone. If Georgia beats LSU, PAC10 produces a one-loss team, Oklahoma wins out, or Penn State wins out, Bama is out. I'm not sure Bama can beat Auburn in the Iron Bowl either.

GO BIG ORANGE!
Who is going to be healthy for the Missouri game?
I felt like we were in a roll, only downside in the biweek.
I had to work the OK/Baylor game, what happened?
Florida does have a deeper D than us, but they certainly seemed to have limited Missouri. I hear Bryant didn’t play well. Was that forced?
I don’t want to get caught thinking about win 7 at all with only five wins on the table. Hope our freak plays harder in this game than any other game.
Tua is unlucky, but I am wondering about Bama’s OL?
I think LSU sucks. Kidding.
Georgia got #4, not sure they deserve it with the loss to SC.
We simply were not the team we are today when we played those two teams, so don’t drive yourself mad thinking about it. This losses were probably as necessary as the butt kicking by Florida.

Bama is a long shot with Tua gone. If Georgia beats LSU, PAC10 produces a one-loss team, Oklahoma wins out, or Penn State wins out, Bama is out. I'm not sure Bama can beat Auburn in the Iron Bowl either.
The best solution is for Auburn to beat them and end any possibility of them sneaking in.

Reactions: kcvols1 and wmcovol

VN Store

Back