Bye Bye Cuonzo

If Cheek dropped dead right now Bruce still wouldn't be considered. Sorry.

Unfortunately you are probably right because we always seem to have incredibly STUPID people making the decisions at UT.

We the fan base ought to boycott basketball until either Pearl or another proven winner is hired. This s--t we've been watching with Cuonzo the Clown is for the birds !!!

Reactions: 1 person
Thanks! And your a C-hole! I won't be rooting against them. I just won't watch or give a damn. It worked in the case of Dooley and I hope it works here. Cuonzo can kick rocks!

You sound like you are very bitter. It would probably be a good idea to find a hobby outside of UT athletics so that you don't seem so miserable about life. At the end of the day it's just a game.

It'd be hard not to take a team with Lofton and CJ Watson on it. Don't forget Lofton bailed him out of losing to a 15 seed as with a ton of other games.

So you think that team had more talent than the present team? Same team you mentioned had not really done much under Peterson but when Bruce started coaching them everything turned around. The Man made UT basketball a force to be reckoned with!!!

Well I guess that all depends on how closely you follow college basketball. You act like Hart is the one who hired him. Butch Jones looks like a homerun hire and he wasn't even high on our list. ..he will hire a good coach.

You are making several assumptions. One, Butch hasn't proven anything. He may or may not turn out to be a good coach. Two, remember Butch was a last second desperation hire after he couldn't secure others on his list, so if Butch does succeed it won't be because Hart saw something no one else did. Three, you are assuming Hart will make the hire. Jimmy Cheek is more involved than any would like to believe. He will never approve of a big time hire. It will have to be a low budget up and comer.

That went to the final 4 last year and is currently undefeated and ranked in the top 10.

I know what they did. They did it because they have a hell of a coach on the sidelines, that we've passed on too many times, not because they have an insane amount of talent. Baker is a damn walk on who received ZERO basketball offers. Look at the programs recruiting our guys and the programs recruiting theirs. If it's a pure talent argument then one of two things happened, we missed badly on the majority of our roster or almost every major program in the country missed badly on their roster.

I think everyone realizes that Hamilton was trying to shop in the bargain bin for coaches. I like Coach Martin as a man and I don't think he's horrible as a coach but the way the SEC is in basketball losing to Wichita State is really going to hurt if we happen to be on the bubble at the end of the year. There is a lot of basketball left--this isn't football so he has to be evaluated differently. If we don't make the Tournament I think you have to strongly consider making a change. This team still has a chance but we'll see how it goes. Pearl is never coming back---but I can guarantee there are a lot of basketball coaches around the country that could take the resources we have and be as successful if not better than Pearl. Martin has underachieved---I mean another guy we passed on was Dana Altman. Look what he's doing at Oregon.

He'd do a better job than Cuonzo the Clown!!!

I think that even though the consensus here is that Coach Martin doesn't have what it takes to meet expectations at this university, myself included, it's going a little far to be saying things like "Cuonzo the Clown". I mean, do you think he doesn't want to win? You think he's not a great coach on purpose? Come on man. Sure, he's not a great coach and most of us could see this developing after season 1, but it's not like he wants to fail, so tone it down a little.:salute:

I know what they did. They did it because they have a hell of a coach on the sidelines, that we've passed on too many times, not because they have an insane amount of talent. Baker is a damn walk on who received ZERO basketball offers. Look at the programs recruiting our guys and the programs recruiting theirs. If it's a pure talent argument then one of two things happened, we missed badly on the majority of our roster or almost every major program in the country missed badly on their roster.

Baker had two D1 offers, Arkansas-LR and one of the Dakotas. He didn't play AAU ball. WSU was smart and got him. He is now on the NBA radar.

WSU does not have an insane amount of talent, but you watched the same game I did. Six steals and six blocks for WSU - and there were probably more blocks.

As to the other post; how in the world does a loss to wSU hurt your NCAA chances? Unless you are just talking about a lost opportunity.

As to the other post; how in the world does a loss to wSU hurt your NCAA chances? Unless you are just talking about a lost opportunity.

That's just it man there is no other opportunity. You really think CM has the ability to win in Rupp? I would be shocked. Beating UF got us nowhere last year. We already have a couple of bad losses. Utep on a neutral court? Come on man! Smh.

Personally think all Tennessee Vol sports should be boycotted until Cheek resigns. Please do this donors. He is a jerk of the highest order and has no business running our beloved university.

Reactions: 5 people
Pearl > Martin ( not even close )

Anyone > Cheek ( again not close, I bet I could find a homeless man that could run the university better. )

This is a pretty sorry outfit Cuonzo's got running here. I don't think he's gonna make it.

Baker had two D1 offers, Arkansas-LR and one of the Dakotas. He didn't play AAU ball. WSU was smart and got him. He is now on the NBA radar.

WSU does not have an insane amount of talent, but you watched the same game I did. Six steals and six blocks for WSU - and there were probably more blocks.

I heard Kesling say that about Baker (probably should know not to trust him). I was traveling today and only able to listen to the game on the radio.

I'm not at all questioning WSU's team, I believe they're a great team and love watching them play. My point/argument is that Marshall has taken raw, undervalued, albeit not great, talent and DEVELOPED them into a great team. Going purely off talent on paper, we should be the better team. However, we're not and therein lies the problem. Take the same teams we saw today and reverse the coaching staffs and who wins? If it's WSU with CCM at the helm, then fair enough. But I don't think that would be the case.

Last edited:
I think everyone realizes that Hamilton was trying to shop in the bargain bin for coaches. I like Coach Martin as a man and I don't think he's horrible as a coach but the way the SEC is in basketball losing to Wichita State is really going to hurt if we happen to be on the bubble at the end of the year. There is a lot of basketball left--this isn't football so he has to be evaluated differently. If we don't make the Tournament I think you have to strongly consider making a change. This team still has a chance but we'll see how it goes. Pearl is never coming back---but I can guarantee there are a lot of basketball coaches around the country that could take the resources we have and be as successful if not better than Pearl. Martin has underachieved---I mean another guy we passed on was Dana Altman. Look what he's doing at Oregon.

I wish it were so simple. Altman - the same guy who took the Arkansas job and then backed out the next day, and that was at a program that had a National Championship. Trust me, hiring a basketball coach at UT is not simple.

Sorry double post. Phone issues.

Good luck trying to convince these people of that. They think UT basketball didn't exist until Pearl came.

We had jerry green and kicked him to the curb after 4 straight NCAA tourneys and one sweet 16. Getting rid of successful basketball coaches( jerry green, Bruce pearl),and replacing them with total disappointments( buzz Peterson, cuonzo Martin) has become a trend in Knoxville.

It's frustrating right now to be a vol fan! I long for the days when we made the dance every year and played in a bowl every year! I don't like being mediocre.

We had jerry green and kicked him to the curb after 4 straight NCAA tourneys and one sweet 16. Getting rid of successful basketball coaches( jerry green, Bruce pearl),and replacing them with total disappointments( buzz Peterson, cuonzo Martin) has become a trend in Knoxville.

Those two scenarios were completely different. It's not like we fired Pearl because he was a jackass.

VN Store

Back