Butch will purge the shame of Dooley

Eddie Vol Halen

Senior Life Champion
When Dooley was watering bamboo and inspecting wash cloths, Butch Jones has come in and purged the fail from Team 118.

Over 30 Vols played in their first collegiate game. Two-thirds were freshman - that's a whole team. What Butch and co have done to this roster is simply amazing.

When Dooley was extolling the virtues of fried chicken, Butch was teaching the science of the pillow and the mouth and making Team 118 stronger, faster, better.

When Dooley said, "Opportunity is Nowhere" and bought an orange dog and a stoolboy, Butch Jones found team leaders like AJ and Worley.

When Dooley turned his back on the state of TN, Butch recruited JRM, Hurd, Malone, Barnett. Von Bell is thinking HMMMMMMMMM....

Last night looked better than anything not named CP in a long time.

Bajakian has got to get the run plays developing faster. Worley was outstanding and a little better timing on the deep ball and we will stretch any team in the nation.

We ain't in the hunt and in the mix yet, but we ain't losing to Vanderbilt, Kentucky, and Mizzou any more. Butch is seeing to that.

Seven wins and someone is getting beat down in a bowl game this year. :rock:

Reactions: 12 people
Butch already has purged the memory of Dooley. You can tell that this now is his team, with his mindset, and playing the way he coaches them to play. We can nitpick all we want, but at least we saw a well prepared (even more amazing when you consider how many freshmen played and contributed) and passionate football team out there tonight.

Reactions: 4 people
Can we wait until we play a real opponent before we declare victory?

Remember, we looked really good on offense and defense the first game last year

If we play as good against Oklahoma and our SEC schedule, I will be the first blowing Jones' trumpet

Reactions: 3 people

If we play as good against Oklahoma and our SEC schedule, I will be the first blowing Jones' trumpet

Exactly, while a win is always nice we don't where we stack up in regards to conference talent. Oklahomo will give us a much better idea how we've progressed and how well we're going to fare against real competition. The future is bright..GBO

A Volnation fan maxim should include a statement: use of or simply mentioning a specific former coaches name is grounds for immediate castration.

I love Jones and his passion for Tennessee but it was Utah State. We used to yawn and win games like this by 40 with the starters playing a half. Now we sweat them out. We are rising as a program but lots more work to do and need to get better play out of OL.

I love Jones and his passion for Tennessee but it was Utah State. We used to yawn and win games like this by 40 with the starters playing a half. Now we sweat them out. We are rising as a program but lots more work to do and need to get better play out of OL.

Who was sweating last night?...might want to check yo blood sugar. :scare:

Reactions: 2 people
As a lifelong Florida State fan, I completely understand Tennessee's predicament. Years of glory followed by, well, disappointing if not infuriating seasons. Flashes of brilliance followed by on-field and off-the-field mistakes that tarnish and taint the legacy.

After being Kiffined, the last thing we needed was to be Droolied. Last year, Coach Jones had to work with the leftover scraps and crushed spirit from the "lost" years.

As I watched the game from high above the Pride of the Southland Band, I saw a team that was energetic, spirited, and ready to play. I saw a Head Coach personally bringing his team back to the sideline. I saw a Coach - a real Coach - that was fighting for his team. I saw a team fighting for Coach Jones, for the Fans, for the University of Tennessee, for the entire VOLNation.

If you watched the FSU game on Saturday, they did not look like national champions. They made mistakes, missed assignments, and were not clicking like they did in the Auburn game. They won, but it was not an overwhelming, "Wow these guys are good" win.

On Sunday, Tennessee showed greatness of character, energy, excitement, and preparedness. They made mistakes, missed assignments, and were not clicking on all cylinders until the 2nd half. They found a way a to win! They defended the shutout until the 4th quarter. This is what we have been missing - finding a way and a will to win.

Every third down, the defense was jumping up and down, calling the crowd to its feet. There was no "I'm tired" look to the team. Fierceness. Pride. Intimidation. Focus. Drive. #OneTennessee is what I saw Sunday night. When we had an injury, I saw our team go to the wounded player and encourage him, help him off the field.

Coach Jones, keep going, sir. #BrickByBrick, the Vols are building a legacy, clearing the cobwebs, and restoring the past glory of Tennessee football.

GO VOLS!

Reactions: 5 people
As a lifelong Florida State fan, I completely understand Tennessee's predicament. Years of glory followed by, well, disappointing if not infuriating seasons. Flashes of brilliance followed by on-field and off-the-field mistakes that tarnish and taint the legacy.

After being Kiffined, the last thing we needed was to be Droolied. Last year, Coach Jones had to work with the leftover scraps and crushed spirit from the "lost" years.

As I watched the game from high above the Pride of the Southland Band, I saw a team that was energetic, spirited, and ready to play. I saw a Head Coach personally bringing his team back to the sideline. I saw a Coach - a real Coach - that was fighting for his team. I saw a team fighting for Coach Jones, for the Fans, for the University of Tennessee, for the entire VOLNation.

If you watched the FSU game on Saturday, they did not look like national champions. They made mistakes, missed assignments, and were not clicking like they did in the Auburn game. They won, but it was not an overwhelming, "Wow these guys are good" win.

On Sunday, Tennessee showed greatness of character, energy, excitement, and preparedness. They made mistakes, missed assignments, and were not clicking on all cylinders until the 2nd half. They found a way a to win! They defended the shutout until the 4th quarter. This is what we have been missing - finding a way and a will to win.

Every third down, the defense was jumping up and down, calling the crowd to its feet. There was no "I'm tired" look to the team. Fierceness. Pride. Intimidation. Focus. Drive. #OneTennessee is what I saw Sunday night. When we had an injury, I saw our team go to the wounded player and encourage him, help him off the field.

Coach Jones, keep going, sir. #BrickByBrick, the Vols are building a legacy, clearing the cobwebs, and restoring the past glory of Tennessee football.

GO VOLS!
So you're a Florida state fan and a Tennessee fan? How does that work?

There's gonna be alot of people wanting to blow on Butch's trumpet after its all said and done.

The mentality is night and day!
JONES Team
Energetic
Encouraging to other Teammates
Team-minded
Mental Toughness when
things go a little wrong
Sprint to their positions when
there is a field position change

DOOLEY Team
Lethargic
Indifferent
Individual-Minded
Throw in the towel when things go wrong
Stroll back to position after a play

Eventually the payoff will be there and it will be a sight to see! ... and then we will be purged of the bad taste and feeling of perpetual losing! :cheer:

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
So you're a Florida state fan and a Tennessee fan? How does that work?

I grew up 5 blocks from FSU. Married to a TN Vol. 1998 was a hard time for me. As long as TN does well and beats FL Gators I am happy. When FSU and UT meet I cheer for both sides. I win either way!

blow his what? :)

VN Store

Back