Butch underestimated the scrutiny level here.

I told you all from the beginning Lyle didn't "Get It". I hate it for our program--players and fans deserve better.

You all that didn't want to see the truth need to just eat your crow and we can move on. Time to stop defending Lyle and move on. Yes I understand he won't be fired this year and will be back for 2017. Yes I will still be a fan and watch games.

PS:

I think it has gotten better (than Dooley years) and can get even better (I want it to). I just don't believe that is possible with Lyle at the healm.

Can we stop with all the "Lyle" BS. You sound like a scorned, bitter woman.

Reactions: 7 people
We fired Tennessee's favorite son that had won a national champion(at Pitt) and won a few SEC championships in Majors and a Ex Vol that had won over 150 games and a national champion and a few SEC championship.

He's a dumbass, if he thinks he's above that.

We didnt fire Majors, you people are absolute asinine!

Reactions: 2 people
He gets lit up for the cliches, but let's face it, that's only because he underachieved this year. Nick Saban is a cliche machine. Do Bammers complain about it? Irritating coach speak, players getting in trouble, conflicts with boosters...those are things that are only held against a coach if he is losing or underachieving.

I do agree, however, that some of his public statements this year and the general tenor of his comments indicate he has a level of satisfaction with the results this year that is unwarranted. He was very sanguine after the App St game and after that early string of inept offensive performances. He's 2-2 against Vandy - he should be absolutely enraged and embarrassed about that. I'm not sure his level of frustration regarding missing out on playing in the SECCG and/or a Sugar Bowl is as high as it should be. I'm not sure he truly realizes the window of opportunity he missed out on in 2016.

This is the first year at Tennessee that he underachieved. Given how they played, I think he should be pretty upset about it, but I'm not sure he is.

When Butchy is fired sometime in the future, it should be a prerequisite that the next person offered the job monitors the Volnation Football Forum for a week. That should give the new coach a clear indication of our tolerance level. :dance2:

Yeah, because the few that post on VN represent the other 102,000 plus that fill Neyland every Saturday.

He gets lit up for the cliches, but let's face it, that's only because he underachieved this year. Nick Saban is a cliche machine. Do Bammers complain about it? Irritating coach speak, players getting in trouble, conflicts with boosters...those are things that are only held against a coach if he is losing or underachieving.

I do agree, however, that some of his public statements this year and the general tenor of his comments indicate he has a level of satisfaction with the results this year that is unwarranted. He was very sanguine after the App St game and after that early string of inept offensive performances. He's 2-2 against Vandy - he should be absolutely enraged and embarrassed about that. I'm not sure his level of frustration regarding missing out on playing in the SECCG and/or a Sugar Bowl is as high as it should be. I'm not sure he truly realizes the window of opportunity he missed out on in 2016.

This is the first year at Tennessee that he underachieved. Given how they played, I think he should be pretty upset about it, but I'm not sure he is.

The fact that he walked out of a post game interview without giving a complete interview should be a sign that the loss was big to him and that winning is important. No need to continue being unprofessional after that.

Go Vols!

His gimmicks has runs its course... the booing will crank up next season when things go south.. the bloom is off the rose

Reactions: 1 person
There's not a coach anywhere that would walk away instead of being fired. Too much money in it for getting fired. You wouldn't walk away, I wouldn't walk away, not sure why some think these coaches should. They are entitled to what their contract says they are entitled to get.

$4MM can make you rationalize past a lot of things!

Butch has done his best work when underestimated...hope this holds true, because I don't think we're going to be ranked higher than 3rd in SEC E pre-season...though, as we know doesn't mean much any way, since the past 5 years or so, predicted winner of East hasn't won it.

To be fair, so did Dooley...

Actually I think all coaches are beginning to clearly see that the SEC is not where they should go as a HC if they value their career and health. Take a good look at what has happened the last two years. All three schools that have changed coaches in the last two years ended up with "assistants" from within the SEC. They were not able to pull any top name coach from anywhere else.

The fact that he walked out of a post game interview without giving a complete interview should be a sign that the loss was big to him and that winning is important. No need to continue being unprofessional after that.

Go Vols!

This is just a lie. He stayed until no more questions where asked.

I think he underestimated the STUPIDITY of some in the fan base.

I agree. I think he only thought fans would by his shtick for a couple years and not dumb enough to look past losses to Vandy and USC. He thought there wouldn't be a fan of his left after this season. Boy was he wrong, there are still quite a few falling for it. He underestimated the stupidity if some for sure

He acts like everyone should be happy with the job he's doing.

Been acting pretty childish about it the last month or so IMO.

He damn well knew what everyone was saying and where the expectations were coming into the season and he knows his team choked those expectations away.

Instead of living up to his catchy little slogan of owning it, he has spent the last month doing anything he can to spin the narrative and not own the failure of this season.

Talking about injuries even though he says he isn't using them as an excuse. He has lashed out at the fans with his little sideline outburst. He has tried to spin the narrative by patting himself on the back for being 1-0 and 14-3 over the past 17 while pointing out how far everyone has come under his guidance and chastised people for minimizing his accomplishments. He came up with a life championship.

His "press conference" last week and letting his players take the brunt of the hard questions to go along with his disappearing act this week has been about the last straw for me.

Reactions: 5 people
In Cincinnati.. College football takes a back seat to pro sports.. Not the case in Knoxville.. Game over

:loco:

You neg a vols are laughable.

Funny.. you got fans that want more, expect more outta a coach that makes 4.1 million, wants to hear that he admits he messed up, wants to hear the coach be human, instead of a walking cliche machine. Wants a team that has the most talent, returning talent than anybody in the east, to be where they should be in the conference championship game. And people are mad about it.. well so am i, who are you to call me a negavol, im sorry if you accept mediocrity, maybe your the negavol cause dont you expect more.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 people
Speak for yourself Skippy. Maybe the Legion of Miserables on here elected you but "most" are not in your corner - just a loud minority - kinda like whiney Dems.

We're On The Rise. Kiffin and Dooley are gone and the past several years have improved.

Move on and don't feel obligated to let yourself feel so self important going forward.

It may not be most.
However, what online or radio polls I've heard since Vandy have been that way.
Of course, those have been right after the emotional loss to Vandy. So, who knows.
I only want him gone if we have a proven winner on the hook as an improvement.
That can't happen until we get a new AD.

Funny.. you got fans that want more, expect more outta a coach that makes 4.1 million, wants to hear that he admits he messed up, wants to hear the coach be human, instead of a walking cliche machine. Wants a team that has the most talent, returning talent than anybody in the east, to be where they should be in the conference championship game. And people are mad about it.. well so am i, who are you to call me a negavol, im sorry if you accept mediocrity, maybe your the negavol cause dont you expect more.

This guy gets it.

Reactions: 3 people

VN Store

Back