Butch Jones

2017 lost to KY by 1 possession and lost to Florida on last play of the game. John Kelly would run the **** over Pruitts no DL coach having team.

In 2017, you left out the 41-0 beatdown from UGA in Neyland, the severe beatdown from Bama, the Half Hundred that Mizzou laid on us in another beatdown, the loss in Neyland to USCe and Muschamp when we scored 9 points, and the loss to Vandy when we gave up 42 points.

But, we did pull one out in 2017 against the UMass Minutemen when their last second pass into our end zone fell barely incomplete.

The 2017 team was the most dysfunctional Vols team I’ve seen without question, and was made up entirely of Butch recruits in his 5th year.

In 2017, you left out the 41-0 beatdown from UGA in Neyland, the severe beatdown from Bama, the Half Hundred that Mizzou laid on us in another beatdown, the loss in Neyland to USCe and Muschamp when we scored 9 points, and the loss to Vandy when we gave up 42 points.

But, we did pull one out in 2017 against the UMass Minutemen when their last second pass into our end zone fell barely incomplete.

The 2017 team was the most dysfunctional Vols team I’ve seen without question, and was made up entirely of Butch recruits in his 5th year.

Guessing you skipped this year then.

Reactions: GetYouSomeofThat
Jones wasn’t 0-8 in the SEC? What? He totally was in 2017. What are you playing at?
He was fired when he was 0-6 in the SEC. So many were relieved that not only that he got fired but theu were terrified he would win out and possibly survive.
However many got their wish and we got Pruitt..

Zero doubt in my mind that this team would be much much better if Jones amd staff were still here.

Reactions: swampfoxfan
2017 lost to KY by 1 possession and lost to Florida on last play of the game. John Kelly would run the **** over Pruitts no DL coach having team.
That OL was so bad Trey Smith was moving sides based on where we were running it and the offense was like 119th in the country. We also barely beat UMass and lost to Vanderbilt.

He was fired when he was 0-6 in the SEC. So many were relieved that not only that he got fired but theu were terrified he would win out and possibly survive.

Zero doubt in my mind that this team would be much much better if Jones amd staff were still here.
Jones was spiraling downward rapidly and the recruiting class was falling apart

Say what you want, but I just watched UT highlights from 2013-2017 on YouTube, and my takeaway was that any one of Butch’s Vol teams would beat this current team by 4 TDs

My other takeaway was that Dobbs might be one of the best QBs we’ve had since Manning. I should’ve appreciated him more.

Thoughts?

I appreciated Dobbs. Too bad he didn't get a fifth year. As to retaining Butch? By now, we would all be sporting orange and white sweatshirts that say "Individuals", and Guinness book of world records who be making entries on how many times he said that in an interview.

Plus, a few of his detractor's heads would have exploded. From a safety standpoint, perhaps that worked out for the best. Tennessee doesn't suck at firing; They just suck at replacing.

If he was the NFL rookie of the year in the pros, he should have been the best RB in the SEC(or close to it) during his last year in college, if utilized properly.

If he played for Bama the whole time he would have been. He was lucky to get the yards he got with our awful OL during the CBJ era. He was also sharing time with Hurd and Dobbs, both ran a ton. Kamara was just wrong-place-wrong-time and unfortunate that he had to play on THOSE Tennessee teams, possibly the worst of all time.

This following was in an article on 247 today. Amazing what they say about Jones taking next to nothing for his job at Alabama. They neglect to point out that he was still being paid by UT. Typical reporting.......;)

"It’s why Jeremy Pruitt, Jim McElwain and Will Muschamp (twice) have landed SEC coaching gigs after coaching for Saban. It’s also why a strength coach (Scott Cochran) is now an on-field assistant at Georgia, and a one-time head coach such as Tennessee’s Butch Jones worked for next-to-nothing as an analyst for two years."

Wrong. Just wrong. Ainge actually had playmakers and the 04 and 07 defenses were very good. After Witten/ Stallworth/ and the FUTURE went to the pros, Clausen had a terrible supporting cast. Clausen lost ONE, SEC road game in 4 years.

The defense in 2007 was probably the worst in UT history up to that point.

Reactions: Border Vol
SMH, 14-1, that’s all you need to know...

He can thank Travis Stephens and his defense for that record. It certainly wasn’t Clausen running for 200+ yards against Florida, and it wasn’t him holding Miami to only 6 points.

During Clausen’s era, no defense ever gave up 59 points like the Vols did against UF in 2007.

Say what you want, but I just watched UT highlights from 2013-2017 on YouTube, and my takeaway was that any one of Butch’s Vol teams would beat this current team by 4 TDs

My other takeaway was that Dobbs might be one of the best QBs we’ve had since Manning. I should’ve appreciated him more.

Thoughts?

Agree about Dobbs. Jury still out on Jones vs Pruitt. This season argues strongly for Jones, but Pruitt did do better than Jones in his first two seasons overall, this year was affected by COVID, particularly the OOC schedule switching to all SEC, and Pruitt (may?) have another year to right the ship.

He can thank Travis Stephens and his defense for that record. It certainly wasn’t Clausen running for 200+ yards against Florida, and it wasn’t him holding Miami to only 6 points.

During Clausen’s era, no defense ever gave up 59 points like the Vols did against UF in 2007.
Let this sink in
34-10, 14-1 SEC East Division champ

tell me when Dobbs gets to that level.

Thoughts?

Why does anyone care about an ex-coach that hasn't worked here in 3 years? Jones coached here at least one year too long and this same fan base hailed his firing when it happened.

Be careful what you ask for.

Well for starters they didn’t give up 59. Foster had a fumble returned for a TD and Fulmers dumb ass punted to Brandon James again.

Well for starters they didn’t give up 59. Foster had a fumble returned for a TD and Fulmers dumb ass punted to Brandon James again.

Ok, but they gave up over 500 yards to both Florida and Bama that year. Compare that to the defenses Clausen always had. The defense in 2006 was also inconsistent. Look how terrible they were against Arkansas that year.

Ok, but they gave up over 500 yards to both Florida and Bama that year. Compare that to the defenses Clausen always had. The defense in 2006 was also inconsistent. Look how terrible they were against Arkansas that year.

The 06 defense dominated Cal and looked to be on pace to be pretty good until Harrell and Inky suffered season ending injuries. They held the eventual NC Gators to their lowest point total of the year They did struggle against a good Arkansas offense on the road. Part of that was due to it being Cromptons first road start and the offense struggled.

Thoughts?

He brought in elite talent for sure. He just failed to coach/utilize them. In one season we had 2 5* starters transfer. Preston Williams never saw the ball for some reason. Neither did Kamara. And with a ton of nfl talent (rb, wr, DE, two nfl bound corners, etc) he couldn’t beat teams like Vandy and South Carolina.

I think his biggest flaw was poor evaluation of coaches

Reactions: swampfoxfan

You really need to stop smoking crack.

Reactions: SDV

VN Store

Back