BTO’s Vanderbilt Postgame Report

bleedingTNorange

1. It wasn't the easiest game, and probably closer than most expected, but you will gladly take a double digit win on the road against a conference rival. Kudos to Vandy, they came out fired up and ready to play and hit some tough shots early on against good defense. Eventually they cooled off and Tennessee ultimately took control and pulled away, the second half looking much more like most expected.

2. I’ve gave props to Dalton Knecht a few times but mostly haven’t wanted to be a broken record and shout him out each game out, but it doesn’t feel right not to acknowledge what he’s doing and the current tear he’s on. He’s the only player in the SEC over the last 19 years to have 160+ points in a 5 game stretch, he’s on an absolute tear right now, I’m not really sure what the most recent comparison is for a Vol, I can’t think of any. I just really hope everyone is appreciating him and what he’s doing, I’m not sure when/if ever we’ll see another scorer as gifted as he is and doing what he’s doing.

3. Great to see Jordan Gainey have another good game, and that the Alabama game wasn’t a fluke. Him finding his stroke and confidence would be huge, having a 15-20mpg scorer coming in off the bench would be a massive weapon for this offense that continues to take shape and improve seemingly throughout the year. Kudos to the kid and the staff, so many fans were doubting him and wanting him benched but Gainey has seemingly stayed locked in and ready for when his number is called.

4. Not sure what’s going on with JJJ but hoping he finds his early season form, he doesn’t have to be a star but he also can’t be a complete non factor. Vescovi has seemingly found his role and finding some shots from 3, same for Zeigler & Aidoo, JJJ re-finding his game and his role would help take this offense to another level. I think most nights we will be fine, but to reach our ceiling and be at our best it feels like him being a 9-10ppg guy is somewhat crucial.

5. That was a game that there wasn’t a whole lot to gain but a ton to lose as far as resume stuff goes, get the W, stay healthy and get home. Sitting at 15-4(5-1), consensus Top 5 ranking, sitting on the 2 seed line knocking on the door for a 1 seed, Tennessee has put themselves into a great spot as January creeps closer to the end. We talked to start the SEC schedule that 7-2 was the goal to start league play and they sit at 5-1 with 3 to play, South Carolina at home this week is a game we should win but won’t be surprised to see SC show up ready to play and hungry, they will be looking to prove something. Of course Saturday we go to Rupp and that will be among the seasons toughest tests, get the win on Tuesday and it feels more like Saturdays game is house money, don’t wanna drop the midweek game and then have to head to Rupp either.

GBO!!!

1. It wasn't the easiest game, and probably closer than most expected, but you will gladly take a double digit win on the road against a conference rival. Kudos to Vandy, they came out fired up and ready to play and hit some tough shots early on against good defense. Eventually they cooled off and Tennessee ultimately took control and pulled away, the second half looking much more like most expected.

2. I’ve gave props to Dalton Knecht a few times but mostly haven’t wanted to be a broken record and shout him out each game out, but it doesn’t feel right not to acknowledge what he’s doing and the current tear he’s on. He’s the only player in the SEC over the last 19 years to have 160+ points in a 5 game stretch, he’s on an absolute tear right now, I’m not really sure what the most recent comparison is for a Vol, I can’t think of any. I just really hope everyone is appreciating him and what he’s doing, I’m not sure when/if ever we’ll see another scorer as gifted as he is and doing what he’s doing.

3. Great to see Jordan Gainey have another good game, and that the Alabama game wasn’t a fluke. Him finding his stroke and confidence would be huge, having a 15-20mpg scorer coming in off the bench would be a massive weapon for this offense that continues to take shape and improve seemingly throughout the year. Kudos to the kid and the staff, so many fans were doubting him and wanting him benched but Gainey has seemingly stayed locked in and ready for when his number is called.

4. Not sure what’s going on with JJJ but hoping he finds his early season form, he doesn’t have to be a star but he also can’t be a complete non factor. Vescovi has seemingly found his role and finding some shots from 3, same for Zeigler & Aidoo, JJJ re-finding his game and his role would help take this offense to another level. I think most nights we will be fine, but to reach our ceiling and be at our best it feels like him being a 9-10ppg guy is somewhat crucial.

5. That was a game that there wasn’t a whole lot to gain but a ton to lose as far as resume stuff goes, get the W, stay healthy and get home. Sitting at 15-4(5-1), consensus Top 5 ranking, sitting on the 2 seed line knocking on the door for a 1 seed, Tennessee has put themselves into a great spot as January creeps closer to the end. We talked to start the SEC schedule that 7-2 was the goal to start league play and they sit at 5-1 with 3 to play, South Carolina at home this week is a game we should win but won’t be surprised to see SC show up ready to play and hungry, they will be looking to prove something. Of course Saturday we go to Rupp and that will be among the seasons toughest tests, get the win on Tuesday and it feels more like Saturdays game is house money, don’t wanna drop the midweek game and then have to head to Rupp either.

GBO!!!
Thanks, BTO!

GBO!!!
My guy Mashack wasn’t his usual impact self, so we didn’t get as much as usual out of that 4 spot between he and JJJ, but still won by 13.

Awaka has all but disappeared. He just can’t seem to play without fouling. But the good news is, Estrella is stepping up.

Not only is Gainey starting to hit 3s, but he’s using a quick first step to get to the basket and draw contact. This is the version of Gainey we were hoping for. He’ll be needed down the stretch to give ZZ some rest.

This team looks good, but there’s still a lot of room for improvement. And that’s a good thing.

My guy Mashack wasn’t his usual impact self, so we didn’t get as much as usual out of that 4 spot between he and JJJ, but still won by 13.

Awaka has all but disappeared. He just can’t seem to play without fouling. But the good news is, Estrella is stepping up.

Not only is Gainey starting to hit 3s, but he’s using a quick first step to get to the basket and draw contact. This is the version of Gainey we were hoping for. He’ll be needed down the stretch to give ZZ some rest.

This team looks good, but there’s still a lot of room for improvement. And that’s a good thing.
Great summary and did not mention the horrible officiating. Then when they did call a foul team was off on free throws and kept Vandy close until Knecht caught fire.
They seem to struggle to score until K starts scoring in bunches . Then seems others start to find their spots and make shots.
SC plays hard like Vandy and has a few better athletes ,however, I believe a solid game will result in double digit win.

Reactions: NighthawkVol
I've noticed this a few times the last few years, and I have zero data to back this up so call me out if need be, but teams that we clearly out-talent and out-depth can take a lead on us into the half and I just don't care.

I literally cooked burgers on the grill for a party (per my wife's instructions, otherwise I would have been watching) and at literally no point was I concerned. Part of that is the fact an away game at vandy isn't like an away game anywhere else. But most of it is the fact that their 5-7 players can play as hard as they want to the maximum amount of their abilities, and we're still going to beat them. Not 100% of the time, weird things happen. It's college basketball. But you can be a lesser team and have a hot 20 minutes. Having a hot 40 minutes against a team that *clearly* outclasses you is much, much harder

Knecht is exactly what Tennessee has needed since Grant left for the the pros-he is a player that can go win a game for you when it’s required. Deadly from three, killer on pull up jumpers, and unstoppable around the goal. And his defensive is notably improved-lead the team in blocks!

GBO!!!

Maybe JJJ would be better coming off the bench while Mashack gets a few more minutes of playing time and Mashack is looking for his shot a little more on the offensive end than JJJ at this point of the season.

Maybe JJJ would be better coming off the bench while Mashack gets a few more minutes of playing time and Mashack is looking for his shot a little more on the offensive end than JJJ at this point of the season.
I think they like staggering Mashack with Vescovi and Ziegler. Most teams don’t have enough guard talent to make having all three of those guys out there not redundant.

This is so true! We need JJJ to contribute something on the offensive end. Through mid-December James was arguably our most consistent player and was playing the best basketball of his career. Start of conference play and he has fallen apart. These last two games it seems that it is starting to affect the rest of his game, which is unusual for his career. Just baffling. If I was an opposing coach until he starts making shots you may not even want to guard him closely and just clog up the lane to eliminate Knecht from driving.

Hope he sees a big hoop this week and can get back to 8-10 ppg. The group still has upside if guys play close to their potential. It is understandable and preferable to defer to Knecht, Aidoo and Zeigler offensively this year, but JJJ, Vescovi, Gainey, Awaka and Mashack are going to make the difference about how good we can be. I trust Mashack whether he scores much or not. Vescovi and Gainey are showing good signs these last 2 games. If JJJ got back to playing as well as he was in Nov/Dec we can beat anyone. Plus, we could rest and take pressure off Knecht although to this point it seems that he thrives on the challenge of being "that guy" every night. What he is doing is historical.

GBO!!!
BTO, would you consider writing a thread post on how different players have improved on defense, and where we might still need improvement defensively to be Final Four ready?

Any fan can appreciate when defense successfully creates a turnover or shot clock violation. And some plays we can instinctively see that a player was in or out of position. But there are still many times that Barnes is "instructing vociferously" after a defensive mistake that I'm clueless about.

I agree that we may never see another Dalton Knecht at Tennessee. But in this portal era, there could be others who come to Barnes to ratchet up their defensive game for the pros. It won't happen every season, if for no other reason than they still have to fit the culture here.

But having a fanbase who appreciates quality defensive play would certainly sweeten the pot for making this a destination.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
This is so true! We need JJJ to contribute something on the offensive end. Through mid-December James was arguably our most consistent player and was playing the best basketball of his career. Start of conference play and he has fallen apart. These last two games it seems that it is starting to affect the rest of his game, which is unusual for his career. Just baffling. If I was an opposing coach until he starts making shots you may not even want to guard him closely and just clog up the lane to eliminate Knecht from driving.

Hope he sees a big hoop this week and can get back to 8-10 ppg. The group still has upside if guys play close to their potential. It is understandable and preferable to defer to Knecht, Aidoo and Zeigler offensively this year, but JJJ, Vescovi, Gainey, Awaka and Mashack are going to make the difference about how good we can be. I trust Mashack whether he scores much or not. Vescovi and Gainey are showing good signs these last 2 games. If JJJ got back to playing as well as he was in Nov/Dec we can beat anyone. Plus, we could rest and take pressure off Knecht although to this point it seems that he thrives on the challenge of being "that guy" every night. What he is doing is historical.
I think JJJ is contributing far more than fans would know. I hear similar statements from Barnes.

Unless you've played the game a long time, you may not appreciate on how many levels of depth and detail the game of basketball rewards smarter play. I remember in my 40s playing 4x a week with a broken right hand. Some of my favorite basketball memories came out of that time! When you know you aren't going to be shooting much, you suddenly discover dozens of "little things" you can do to improve your team's performance. Not having to put points on the board actually felt like an impediment had been removed, and a new level of play, challenge, and enjoyment opened up for me.

JJJ has a very high court IQ. I wouldn't be surprised if this new role has allowed him to make more use of that basketball IQ. But eventually he will have to return to presenting defenses with another scoring threat. Balance/flexibility from at least 8 players are almost always requirements for making it through the tournament gauntlet.

Last edited:

GBO!!!

BTO

Your thoughts on Awaka’s playing time recently? Only 11 minutes combined vs Alabama and Vandy

GBO!!!
I got a kick out of this lol… pretty much sums it up.

Attachments

• IMG_4039.jpeg
    IMG_4039.jpeg
    50.3 KB · Views: 30
The officiating was disgraceful, particularly the refusal of the crew to call walks on the Vandy guards, the extra step was obvious but not called,

In a conference with the riches the SEC possesses, the basketball officiating remains embarrassing and downright inept, the basketball refs should be given limits on blown calls, with the best compensation in the NCAA ranks, with a standard that you get too many wrong, you are gone,

When 5 arena security members have to escort 3 blind mice off the floor at halftime (as happened Saturday evening in Nashville), you begin to see the magnitude of the problem.

Another good writeup by BTO

Knecht is the best since King and I have watched both. Houston was very good also.

Warning : stay away from the game thread during the game. It has become the
basketball version of the FF. Every other post is a complaint about the refs, often
after replays show the refs are right many times. Gets old. I used to enjoy reading
the comments, but it has now gotten out of control.

JJJ O and D rebounding , stellar defense is crucial in every game

Another good writeup by BTO

Knecht is the best since King and I have watched both. Houston was very good also.

Warning : stay away from the game thread during the game. It has become the
basketball version of the FF. Every other post is a complaint about the refs, often
after replays show the refs are right many times. Gets old. I used to enjoy reading
the comments, but it has now gotten out of control.
Yeah, they go on and on. The second half was actually well officiated save for a real short stretch when we had two guys get hacked hard going to the basket with no call. Vescovi was one and can't remember the other. I can't say the same about the first half but it wasn't the reason we were losing.

BTO

Your thoughts on Awaka’s playing time recently? Only 11 minutes combined vs Alabama and Vandy
He can’t stop fouling, he’s fouling at a much higher rate than any other rotational player on our team. It’s getting teams into the bonus quicker than they should be and hurting our defense overall as a result.

Reactions: berryvol
He can’t stop fouling, he’s fouling at a much higher rate than any other rotational player on our team. It’s getting teams into the bonus quicker than they should be and hurting our defense overall as a result.
Would be an interesting analysis to determine the reasons for this as he may be fouling at a higher rate than Uros did. Watched Freak’s recording last night and tried to notice more specifics since I knew the outcome.

Awaka’s first foul yesterday was questionable as he was sliding down the lane with his arms vertical and the Vandy guard jumped into Awaka’s chest and bounced off a bit. Nothing I’d consider poor technique or over aggression? The second was going for a rebound out of his zone and he made contact with the Vandy freshman from New York who I noticed was flopping some when rebounding (did the same to draw Vescovi’s first foul).

VN Store

Back