BTO’s Vanderbilt Postgame Report

It was @ the other end of the court but I didn’t understand the technical on Vescovi. The refs can call a foul on any given play as the game is more physical than I realized from watching on tv or further up in nosebleeds. But they were slapping Vescovi’s arm(s) all night and reaching in. Plus they were talking smack to him all game.
The game has been allowed to become way to physical, there guards were allowed to push off on offense also to gain separation same at Kentucky but worse we got mauled up there. I don’t like where we have come to.

Outside of a trailing 3 or off an offensive rebound that ends up in Nkamhoua's hands at the top of the key, he probably should be red lighted from 3's. Most of ZZ's shots are within the flow of the offense (if you can even say our offense has a flow); he's just struggling.
CRB has commented on a couple of press conferences that ZZZ may be the team’s best shooter. Hopefully that plays out over the course of conference play since we’re struggling for points

Fulky is best coming off the bench now. Hopefully, that will motivate him. Losing JJJ, I thought the guys fought and stepped up well. Very thankful for the win and you never know from game to game. I miss Pons’s rebounding.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
Fulky is best coming off the bench now. Hopefully, that will motivate him. Losing JJJ, I thought the guys fought and stepped up well. Very thankful for the win and you never know from game to game. I miss Pons’s rebounding.
You miss Pon’s blocks as rebounding wasn’t his strength

Good summation but silly to compare Ziggy to Grant and Admiral. Yea, Ziggy is tough-minded--but what we really got from
Grant and Admiral, in a tactical, practical sense, was clutch scoring--baskets when we needed baskets. They were go-to guys.
The Vols have zero go-to guys now. Chandler with the ball or Vescovi free at the 3-line is about the best we can do.

It's kind of dumb to play Bailey for 2 minutes, as Barnes as been doing recently. His best asset is his streak shooting, and nobody is going to start
making baskets before they even get warmed up. What's the point. Either play him long enough to allow him to get into the game or don't play him at all.

Plavsic with a nice game but such a performance is going to be more exception rather than rule, IMO, depending on opponent.

Vols will simply have to grind this year. We're just not talented offensively. Chandler is, Vescovi is dependable--and after that it's a group of serviceable players. Maybe we can be better if our 3-point shooting improves--but no sign of that yet.

It's too bad we couldn't keep Springer and Johnson for another years--but the siren call of pro money seduced them as it does so many. Springer has been sent to the G league, not surprisingly, and Johnson is getting a couple of minutes a game. The dirty little secret about "one and dones" is that most of them go to the NBA and ride the pine--for years. Johnson's got a chance to get serious minutes in another year or two...maybe.

Reactions: Lurker
I thought Powell played pretty well today as well. Took care of the ball and made some nice plays/passes in addition to a few 3’s.

This team obviously has a lot of room for potential still, but I think the schedule could help us gain some confidence in the second half.

While I wouldn’t call the team young, I do think people forget we have 2 freshman PG’s running the show. Obviously they’re very talented, but as they continue to grow I think the offense will turn a corner.

Impressed with how the coaching staff has brought Uros around. I really had not given him much chance to play. Seems they have finally got him to put back those offensive rebounds now instead of looking for someone to pass back out to. Playing better D. 13 pts / 7 rbs would be a good contribution for him every night. Really helps our inside game that is lacking right now.

Offensively I think they wanted to really try and push the ball but we looked sloppy. Despite not having a reliable post presence, we still seem to be more efficient slowing it down, which is a bit of a problem. They've got to get better in transition and pushing tempo.
Yep, yep, yep, yep, yep

It was perfectly understandable as the player to retaliate in any given conflict is almost always rung up with a technical first. It doesn't make it right, but more often than not officials see the person who responds before they see the person who instigates. It's why you have to keep a cool head when you're punked in critical situations because the instigator is looking to get you in trouble.

Generally I agree with this, however, if you have 4 fouls on you already, you should think twice about instigating. Especially since replay gives every angle of the act.

CRB has commented on a couple of press conferences that ZZZ may be the team’s best shooter. Hopefully that plays out over the course of conference play since we’re struggling for points

If he's the team's best shooter, he certainly is in a season-long funk. I hope he can figure it out, as we definitely need him down the stretch.

I’m not trying to be a negative Nancy

Plav responding by being thrown into the fire was encouraging

His offensive rebound and score at the end was crucial. And him finishing that pass from Fulkerson (at least, I think it was a pass) was really nice.

But he made a ton of mistakes, especially in the first half, that cost us points.

The foul at the end of the half was obvious. But he constantly is slow to rotate or out of position on defense. The worst thing he does is overprusue for a block, which he never gets, cause he is too slow to react, and then is out of position for the rebound.

But the best thing for him will be getting more reps. So hopefully he makes steady improvement there.

BTO, I think that was your best summation yet--and probably the best game summary of any kind I've ever read! Just a great mixture of stats, observations, informed opinions (but never presented as "facts"), and plenty of honest "I don't know for sure, but..." considerations.

It takes integrity to write something so balanced, when you (and your readers) are so passionate about the subject.

You are appreciated, and your work admired. If I could read only two posts each week, BTO's Postgame Report would easily be my choice.

He doenst need motivation. He literally cant play the way he used to anymore. Years of serious injuries and a double bout with covid that obviously hit him hard, has taken its toll. For all of last year, and a majority of this season, he has been extremely winded after just a few trips up and down the court. He can't stay on his feet. He can't explode off the floor to score around the rim. He's trying. I'd venture to say that he cares more about this program and its success more than anyone on the team so I don't think he needs motivation. He needs a looooong period of rest and strength building to get anywhere close to what he was two years ago. So, for now you're just going to bet little 3 minute bursts for him where he comes in, plays some defense, draws some fouls and tries to rebound and that's all you can really hope for. Trust me, a guy that loves this school and this game as much as him, doesn't need motivation.

BTO, I think that was your best summation yet--and probably the best game summary of any kind I've ever read! Just a great mixture of stats, observations, informed opinions (but never presented as "facts"), and plenty of honest "I don't know for sure, but..." considerations.

It takes integrity to write something so balanced, when you (and your readers) are so passionate about the subject.

You are appreciated, and your work admired. If I could read only two posts each week, BTO's Postgame Report would easily be my choice.
Found BTO's burner account...lol 😆

Yup, I said exactly that…no reason to be playing Bailey 2-3mpg, unless there’s just extreme foul trouble…and agreed, Mashack would be odd man out if I’m cutting to 9
I will give Barnes credit. He has given a lot of players the opportunity to earn playing time. Some like Plavsic and Zeigler, have taken advantage and are now able to contribute to the team. Fulky has let his illness or inability to play at the level he played two years ago has hurt the team. Unless he players much better than he has recently, he will see his playing time decrease a bunch. I really like him when he is playing his best game, but we have only see that about once or twice this year and can not continue to happen. I has high for BHH and believe he will improve more before the end of the year. The off season work will help him a lot and we still have to remember, he is really a high school Senior basketball in the SEC. I Mashack can also improver over the off season. I like his attitude and he appears to have goods skills.

Last edited:
To be fair, BHH didn't get many (any?) opportunities in the paint. He got position a handful of times early and they just didn't get him the ball. Dane Bradshaw even made mention of it at one point in the broadcast about BHH having position but Tennessee not getting him a look.
I agree. AND I thought just by his body language he showed a little more intensity. He's still "grabbing" (to use CRB word) at the ball on defense and that's simply a high school move that will NEVER work at this level. He seems to be more serious though.

I will give Barnes credit. He has given a lot of players the opportunity to earn playing time. Some like Plavsic and Zeigler, have taken advantage and are now able to contribute to the team. Fulky has let his illness or inability to play at the level he played two years ago has hurt the team. Unless he players much better than he has recently, he will see his playing time decrease a bunch. I really like him when he is playing his best game, but we have only see that about once or twice this year and can not continue to happen. I has high for BHH and believe he will improve more before the end of the year. The off season work will help him a lot and we still have to remember, he is really a high school Senior basketball in the SEC. I Mashack can also improver over the off season. I like how attitude and appears to have goods skills.
Good assessment. I too like Mashack's work however I immediately saw the play on the sideline when he committed the turnover. You could see him trying to blame somebody, but coaching staff was right on top of that as they should be. I'm sure that's a very natural response but Barnes will have none of that. Hopefully he learned the lesson.

Reactions: VOLINVONORE
Everyone talks about how great Chandler is. I will take Zeigler any day over Chandler ! Chandler plays out of control about 90% of the time. And the Lord only knows where his passes will end up. If he thinks he will go pro after his first year , he had better talk to some pro recruit professionals long and hard first .

Hundley-Hatfield is nowhere near ready for the big minutes. He has to learn his game is inside. He has to get tougher and quit coming in launching 25 footers. That isn’t going to earn him playing time It’s time for him to play inside and rebound and play good defense. The points will come but not by trying to play small forward.

VN Store

Back