BTO’s Vanderbilt Postgame Report

bleedingTNorange

1. Was nice to see the Vols back out there, the circumstances around the season suck as games can get cancelled just hours before tip off and no guarantees on how many games will be played, regardless of opponent I’m enjoying every time these guys get to take the court. I really wish they’d get to experience a full TBA, and that 21k would get to experience this team live, but that’s just not the case. Anyways, 20 point conference wins aren’t all that common, we seemingly controlled this game after we knocked some early rust off it would appear, nice to get another W.

2. We held Vanderbilt to their worst ORTG of the season by far as they posted a 0.88, that’s right at our season average defensively. Offensively we posted a 1.17 which is above our season average, and right where we’d love to be on a nightly basis. The offensive rebounding opportunities allowed to Vandy were a negative, especially considering we saw Texas A&M hurt us there as well, our defense is so elite that if we can limit to 2nd chance opportunities it becomes that much better. Shoutout to the team defense on Pippen too, still no player to crack 20 points, he goes 5-12 shooting and adds 6 turnovers while fouling him out, definitely made his night miserable.

3. A little continuation on the rebounding, Fulky did nice with 8, that’s probably right where we need him at nightly if not more. 7 for Springer and 4 for Vescovi are also solid, however James with 1 and Pons with 5 isn’t going to get it done, especially James. I think Rick is warming up to the smaller lineups, and that is our best move on both ends of the court, but that will require guys like Pons and James rebounding the ball well or Barnes simply will not do it.

4. On the small ball, it’s our best lineups, I don’t think that’s a secret....we are better offensively and defensively in it. We have 7 guys you can play 25+ minutes confidently in and all fit this style, it also matches up against what a lot of teams are doing nationally and what you’ll likely see from a smaller school in the NCAAT, I’ll be interested to see how much Barnes goes to it in close games upcoming. Obviously means Pons getting minutes at the 5 and James almost entirely getting his minutes at the 4, Keon also probably with some minutes at the 4.

5. Can we win the next 3 before a showdown with Kansas in TBA, oh again how I wish we could have that place packed! Florida looks a bit Jekyll and Hyde, analytics show us about 4.5 point favorites but I’m guessing the line is closer to 8, they’re guard dominated so definitely a test to see about our small ball lineup while also working inside to Fulky. Then it’s a rematch against Missouri and a meeting with Mississippi State both in Knoxville, win those 3 and should be a lot of hype around Kansas coming to town.

GBO!!!!

1. Was nice to see the Vols back out there, the circumstances around the season suck as games can get cancelled just hours before tip off and no guarantees on how many games will be played, regardless of opponent I’m enjoying every time these guys get to take the court. I really wish they’d get to experience a full TBA, and that 21k would get to experience this team live, but that’s just not the case. Anyways, 20 point conference wins aren’t all that common, we seemingly controlled this game after we knocked some early rust off it would appear, nice to get another W.

2. We held Vanderbilt to their worst ORTG of the season by far as they posted a 0.88, that’s right at our season average defensively. Offensively we posted a 1.17 which is above our season average, and right where we’d love to be on a nightly basis. The offensive rebounding opportunities allowed to Vandy were a negative, especially considering we saw Texas A&M hurt us there as well, our defense is so elite that if we can limit to 2nd chance opportunities it becomes that much better. Shoutout to the team defense on Pippen too, still no player to crack 20 points, he goes 5-12 shooting and adds 6 turnovers while fouling him out, definitely made his night miserable.

3. A little continuation on the rebounding, Fulky did nice with 8, that’s probably right where we need him at nightly if not more. 7 for Springer and 4 for Vescovi are also solid, however James with 1 and Pons with 5 isn’t going to get it done, especially James. I think Rick is warming up to the smaller lineups, and that is our best move on both ends of the court, but that will require guys like Pons and James rebounding the ball well or Barnes simply will not do it.

4. On the small ball, it’s our best lineups, I don’t think that’s a secret....we are better offensively and defensively in it. We have 7 guys you can play 25+ minutes confidently in and all fit this style, it also matches up against what a lot of teams are doing nationally and what you’ll likely see from a smaller school in the NCAAT, I’ll be interested to see how much Barnes goes to it in close games upcoming. Obviously means Pons getting minutes at the 5 and James almost entirely getting his minutes at the 4, Keon also probably with some minutes at the 4.

5. Can we win the next 3 before a showdown with Kansas in TBA, oh again how I wish we could have that place packed! Florida looks a bit Jekyll and Hyde, analytics show us about 4.5 point favorites but I’m guessing the line is closer to 8, they’re guard dominated so definitely a test to see about our small ball lineup while also working inside to Fulky. Then it’s a rematch against Missouri and a meeting with Mississippi State both in Knoxville, win those 3 and should be a lot of hype around Kansas coming to town.

GBO!!!!
Vandy's play by play guys were sending out complements galore about the offense and defense played by the BasketVols.

Funny how we had these people arguing on here that we would have a 10+ man rotation which was laughable. We are basicly down to 7 now.

Reactions: walkenvol
Yeah, it was like they thought he was going to completely change his system.
I for one was hoping we’d go constant full court defense considering our potential preseason depth but also recognized it would be contrary to anything we’d seen in the past. I also expected Anosike to provide 18-20 solid minutes a game which isn’t happening. Interesting how the season is unfolding compared to our expectations

Reactions: cardvolfan
I said it in another thread, but Pippen is going to be one of those players all other teams love to hate. Similar to Marshall Henderson at Ole Miss a while back.

He just exudes the punk player style.

I don't think Keon cares for Pippen, or Vandy in general. One more reason to like Keon.

GBO!!!!

Your usual good write up. I was starting to wonder if you were doing it.

Thanks BTO. I too am most grateful every time the Vols are able to play. I think we'll see more and more of the small lineup as we go. Rick knows what he's doing and will utilize it when he can. Fun having athletes on the floor too.

Yeah, it was like they thought he was going to completely change his system.

I am one of those who thinks that having a small rotation hurts us during tourney time due to fatigue. Now, with this shorter season, it should not be a problem.

Not too many new takeaways for me. The issues we have are the same as the lat few games, but they’re all very fixable. Just need to get a bit more consistent from the perimeter.

It’s also becoming clear that Anosike doesn’t provide much outside of 5 fouls. I expected him to be better than this right now. If Pons isn’t on the court, our team struggles and Pons can’t play all 40. Will be interesting to see what Barnes does as a fix.

Not too many new takeaways for me. The issues we have are the same as the lat few games, but they’re all very fixable. Just need to get a bit more consistent from the perimeter.

It’s also becoming clear that Anosike doesn’t provide much outside of 5 fouls. I expected him to be better than this right now. If Pons isn’t on the court, our team struggles and Pons can’t play all 40. Will be interesting to see what Barnes does as a fix.
Recruit, recruit, and recruit!

Reactions: Vols All Day
Pons just doesn't seem to want to shoot anymore. He passed up several shots close to the basket and I believe turned it over a couple times trying to pass when caught in the paint. Don't understand this.

Reactions: walkenvol

Small ball

There is a noticable drop off after the first 7. Part of it is because the first 7 are so solid and all are playing to such a high level. There is a drop off with the next one or two and then it falls off a cliff. Walker might help but who knows. I will say that the two freshmen are different players than they were the first week and have fully bought in --- to the overall benefit of our team. Rather than bought in - probably should say they have captured the essense of what Barnes wants to accomplish on offense. Crazy unselfish 5 stars. The ball movement was incredible - a complete contrast to week 1 when it was sticky in their hands - so entertaining to watch andddddddddd they can guard anyone from the 1 to the 4 effectively - so it gives Barnes a ton of options.

While complimenting the top 7, can't leave out the guys getting little playing time. They are super into the games and always cheering on and pulling for their teammates. We have a great TEAM. Fun to watch.

You can, but it’s rare and we don’t have any scholarships available. Didn’t Vescovi get added mid season?

Yeah, but we’re well past the point where that could happen. He committed in December last year and was enrolled by the start of the new year.

VN Store

Back