BTO’s Texas A&M Postgame Report

bleedingTNorange

1. Another tough L, not because it’s a season ender or anything like that but because it’s seemingly another missed opportunity. You win that one and you’re likely on the 1 seed line and probably the #4 team in the country in new polls, instead you stick on the 2 line most likely and probably drop a spot or 2 in the new poll. Again not a season ender, but with the season winding down the opportunities get fewer and fewer and the fashion in which we took that L just makes it feel that much worse.

2. I’ve mentioned it before, but feels even more glaring the further we get into the season, in large part this team is going to rely on Santi , Aidoo & JJJ. I say that meaning for the most part you know what you’re going to get from ZZ & DK, and they’re going to bring it most nights, but it can’t just be them. 3-13 combined from SV & JJJ just isn’t going to get it done, when JJJ scores 8+ we are 12-1, less than that we are 4-5, there’s similar correlation with Santi as well although not quite as drastic. I get that nobody wants to have to rely on those 2, they can’t be trusted to bring it consistently as 5th year seniors and it’s frustrating, unfortunately it is what it is at this point, to reach our ceiling we have to rely on them showing up.

3. I also know nobody wants to hear this but it’s college basketball, we are at the point in the season where teams seasons are reaching a point of going 1 of 2 ways. A&M was on the bubble and in need of a signature win, at their house on a weekend night game, they came out ready to play and the team clearly wanting it more. Now that’s an issue and we needed to be ready, but it’s also not a total shock to see a hornets nest like that, Auburn who’s coached by so manys favorite coach got similarly whacked by Florida at their place yesterday. Again that’s not an excuse, but it’s also not a total shock, is what it is.

4. Big picture again it’s not a season ender, it’s more so a missed opportunity than anything. We talked about a real chance of a 6 game winning streak before entering the final 4 games, obviously that’s out the window. 1-1 now with 4 winnable games left, really need to win as many of those as possible obviously. Arkansas, Vandy & Missouri don’t have much of anything to play for, win those 3 and then A&M returns to Knoxville for what is now and intriguing rematch, and then on to the final 4 game stretch.

GBO!!!

We usually have one sure fire nba player sometimes two (springer, Keon, Chandler, and now Knecht) on the roster and guess who gets blamed during tournament time when we get bounced…hint usually not vescovi and jjj. I like vescovi and JJJ but this is their last year so if they want to be remembered for more than just a sweet 16 appearance then they need to put it all together during march mardness because Zekai and Knecht can’t do it all for them.

We will be every team's Super Bowl from here on out. We have to bring it every night. The one thing I noticed last night was the body language when things didn't go their way. Head down, slumped shoulders, looking defeated with lots of time left on the clock, this is when our seasoned veterans need to step up and lead, not hide behind DK.

It's becoming abundantly clear what kind of team is going to give us fits. Sound, physical defenses and teams that both shoot well from outside and have guards who can get to the basket. We don't like to be bullied because we're used to doing the bullying. And we don't defend the perimeter well, at all.

I thought Barnes was also waaaay too slow to adjust and try going small, I get that on the surface they’re killing you on the boards and so the thought is size to counter that, but A&M isn’t big. They use speed and toughness to get rebounds and many are of the long rebound variety where quickness helps. At the 15 minute mark down 48-28 we went small and inserted Mashack and played small the rest of the way, even some super small with JJJ at the 5, we outscored A&M 41-37 over those 15 minutes. Don’t be so stubborn in your ways, if it’s not working don’t double down which he did first and went 2 bigs, this was a Mashack game for sure.

I don’t have much else to add about the game that hasn’t been said ad nauseam the past 12-16 hours. I’m mostly just disappointed. This feels like the window. I’m not sure when you’ll see a player like Dalton Knecht play at Tennessee again. I’m not sure when you’ll have the wealth of experience and veteran leadership needed to win championships like we do now.

I thought 14-4 was where we’d land pre-season. I did not think this team with the likely SEC POTY would be sitting at 7-3 and in 4th place right now. Feels like we have had so many missed opportunities the past few years. A realistic chance at a 1-seed and that is basically gone now.

Still a lot of season left, but also not that much if you know what I mean. This team needs to start finding some consistency now. You can’t just expect to flip a switch in March. You have an extremely manageable 4 game stretch coming up. Now is where we need to start building that consistency. Some are trying to sell it as “at least this means we haven’t peaked yet” but there is a part of me that is worried maybe this team won’t peak at all. For every game where the offense looks unstoppable, there is a game with all of the troubling warning signs that cost us the last few years.

It’s just going to be disappointing if this team manages to go another entire season without accomplishing any of our goals. I hope we turn it on soon.

If condolences can be made, at least we have a rematch with both SC and TAM. We will see how the team prepares and responds to these tough losses. This one felt worse than the south Carolina loss with it not being close. This is the month for adjustments. Perhaps these repeated losses to hard-nosed, physical teams will ignite a proper response. That we must adjust sooner and we must get going downhill if the three won't fall.

I don’t have much else to add about the game that hasn’t been said ad nauseam the past 12-16 hours. I’m mostly just disappointed. This feels like the window. I’m not sure when you’ll see a player like Dalton Knecht play at Tennessee again. I’m not sure when you’ll have the wealth of experience and veteran leadership needed to win championships like we do now.

I thought 14-4 was where we’d land pre-season. I did not think this team with the likely SEC POTY would be sitting at 7-3 and in 4th place right now. Feels like we have had so many missed opportunities the past few years. A realistic chance at a 1-seed and that is basically gone now.

Still a lot of season left, but also not that much if you know what I mean. This team needs to start finding some consistency now. You can’t just expect to flip a switch in March. You have an extremely manageable 4 game stretch coming up. Now is where we need to start building that consistency. Some are trying to sell it as “at least this means we haven’t peaked yet” but there is a part of me that is worried maybe this team won’t peak at all. For every game where the offense looks unstoppable, there is a game with all of the troubling warning signs that cost us the last few years.

It’s just going to be disappointing if this team manages to go another entire season without accomplishing any of our goals. I hope we turn it on soon.
We have every bit of a chance at a #1 seed that we had before last night. We weren’t the only ones who suffered a road loss vs a team fighting to get into the NCAAs. Lots of hoops left to be played. We’re fine.

We have every bit of a chance at a #1 seed that we had before last night. We weren’t the only ones who suffered a road loss vs a team fighting to get into the NCAAs. Lots of hoops left to be played. We’re fine.

To get a 1-seed at this point, we would basically have to go 9-0 or 8-1 at the absolute worst. I just can’t see that happening. Haven’t seen enough consistency from the first 23 games to say that this team can run the table.

Exactly right. See...we're not so different after all. I've just gotten to the point of no longer expecting JJJ, Vescovi and Aidoo to be anything other than themselves. March and the remainder of this season is a crap shoot.

To get a 1-seed at this point, we would basically have to go 9-0 or 8-1 at the absolute worst. I just can’t see that happening. Haven’t seen enough consistency from the first 23 games to say that this team can run the table.
It also depends upon what other top teams do. If you think we can’t go 9-0, 8-1, or even 7-2, so be it. There’s also the potential for up to 3 quality wins in the SEC Tournament. Like I said, lots of basketball left to be played.

Like I said last night. I'm more disappointed in their lack of effort last night. Just like the South Carolina game. Most of the team acted like they didn't even want to be playing. From a very veteran led team, that's really concerning. It's also becoming noticeable on the play book against us. Be the more physical and aggressive team, and our guys wilt. Never thought we would be seeing that.

Vescovi and JJJ will determine whether the Vols make a run in either the SEC or NCAA tourney. No show as last night and we lose. If the two of them combine for 20 points we likely win. And tired of hearing how much JJJ contributes even when not scoring. He needs to be more assertive as a player in his last year. C'mon Santi and Josiah---act like it means something and you will not let it slip through your fingers.

It also depends upon what other top teams do. If you think we can’t go 9-0, 8-1, or even 7-2, so be it. There’s also the potential for up to 3 quality wins in the SEC Tournament. Like I said, lots of basketball left to be played.
It certainly depends on what others do. I think Purdue, UConn, and Houston are close to locks. Houston can still drop. Depends on what UNC and Zona do.

However, the committee has shown the conference tournaments don’t matter.

It certainly depends on what others do. I think Purdue, UConn, and Houston are close to locks. Houston can still drop. Depends on what UNC and Zona do.

However, the committee has shown the conference tournaments don’t matter.
I agree with this except for what you said about the conference tournaments. They don’t matter as much as the regular season, but can absolutely come into play when it comes to breaking ties between teams with similar profiles.

I don’t think this team can go 9-0 or 8-1, no. I think 7-2 is very realistic. But that isn’t going to get it done for a 1-seed. The last 3-4 years have been crystal clear that seeding for top teams is basically pre-determined heading into conference tournaments, so I don’t see any scenario where that changes anything even if we won it.

I agree with this except for what you said about the conference tournaments. They don’t matter as much as the regular season, but can absolutely come into play when it comes to breaking ties between teams with similar profiles.
In the last couple of years, they have shown they don’t matter. We did not improve whatsoever when we won the tournament title. They have most of the seeds set Saturday before most of the P5 title games.

I don’t think this team can go 9-0 or 8-1, no. I think 7-2 is very realistic. But that isn’t going to get it done for a 1-seed. The last 3-4 years have been crystal clear that seeding for top teams is basically pre-determined heading into conference tournaments, so I don’t see any scenario where that changes anything even if we won it.
Right now as others have said 3 teams seem pretty much like 1 seed locks, right now Arizona, North Carolina, Marquette, Kansas & Tennessee seem to be the teams competing for that last one as well as likely the 2 seeds. No telling what those other teams will do but have to think at least one of them finishes strong.

Right now as others have said 3 teams seem pretty much like 1 seed locks, right now Arizona, North Carolina, Marquette, Kansas & Tennessee seem to be the teams competing for that last one as well as likely the 2 seeds. No telling what those other teams will do but have to think at least one of them finishes strong.

Yep. Arizona feels like the safest bet. PAC-12 is not great. And they just went on the road and beat two of the better teams in that league this week.

I think Tennessee’s ceiling is most likely a 2.

Vescovi and JJJ will determine whether the Vols make a run in either the SEC or NCAA tourney. No show as last night and we lose. If the two of them combine for 20 points we likely win. And tired of hearing how much JJJ contributes even when not scoring. He needs to be more assertive as a player in his last year. C'mon Santi and Josiah---act like it means something and you will not let it slip through your fingers.
Santi in particular is someone we need to rely upon to reach double figures (10-12) each game. He is averaging fewer minutes per game in his entire career so should be rested but taking 40% fewer shot attempts per game. His shooting % across the board are about the same as they have been historically. Good defender, good rebounder for his size and I'm aware he does alot of other things to benefit the team, but frankly I think his unwillingness to shoot the ball is hurting this team offensively. His constant shot fakes are now becoming a bit of a joke and opponents don't even sell out on those anymore. Heck his backup (Gainey) has taken more shots than him, 167 to 135 attempts for the year despite playing 170 fewer minutes.

JJJ has always been inconsistent offensively so that isn't a surprise. Obviously, a good defender but we need his presence on the glass every game. We have been dominated on boards these last few games and he only got 4 and 3 boards respectively against LSU and A&M.

This game reminded me of the UNC game where all the perimeter players blew by our defenders all night. Even ZZ couldn't stay in front of his man. It seemed like our guys just came off a tourny of 3 games in 4 days.

Reactions: Plateauvol
We will most likely end up a three seed when it’s all said and done. I see no way we beat SC at their place. Same for Alabama. We probably win 2/3 against Auburn, A&M, and Kentucky at home which puts us at 12-6 in league play, 22-9 overall. Barring an early round upset loss in the SEC Tournament, probably good enough for a three seed.

This team simply can't shoot on the road. I can't count the times, only ten fingers, that they have come out on the road clanging the rims, 1-12, 0-15, 2-13 over the last 3 years, just horrendous shooting. They don't need to come out hot, just shoot a reasonable percentage and they are slightly down at the half. Now all we can do is tighten up the seat belt and get ready for a tough end of season ride. This team is totally unpredictable so talk of a high seed or winning out is ridiculous. A lot of big games left to play.

Reactions: LibertyVol
The committee hasn’t placed much on conf championships.

Purdue, UConn, and Houston will most likely be one seeds.

Kansas, UNC, Arizona, Marquette, TN, and Duke are fighting for the last one seed.

The SEC tourney won’t help us with seeding, so TN will have to run the table or at worst drop one game.

Reactions: LibertyVol

It feels like since the 18-19 team we're saying this almost every season, hoping the "switch" comes on. And I the "we haven't peaked" stuff.....yeah not buying it. That's something we tell ourselves to explain away why we got our ass kicked last night. We shouldn't be needing "wake up calls" or anything like that, that kind of stuff is WAY overplayed.

I want to remain optimistic but I'm getting familiar feelings creeping in.

VN Store

Back