BTO’s Texas A&M Postgame Report

For all the discussion on here concerning who should be the “main” pg, I still don’t see where it matters very much with the style of motion offense we run. SV is fine bringing the ball up the court on oub situations when someone jogs along with him to provide a pick if needed. Johnson and Springer have coughed the ball up also in pressure defense situations but I don’t view any of the 3 as weak. Comparing them to a Junior Bone isn’t fair as after 3 years in the system CRB might would have all 3 guys close to Bone’s skill level breaking pressure, but I doubt we get to find out. We have much bigger issues than pg if we want to reach our potential. JJJ and Pons being wildly inconsistent with their scoring seems to be mostly ignored on here and is a huge problem in the tournament when we face teams equally as talented. JJJ just putting up 2-3 shots in a game can’t happen just like Pons only grabbing 2-3 rebounds.

The good news is we’re not close to our ceiling yet

Regarding AnosIke, today’s matchup was perfectly suited for him but he only got 6 minutes. I think that may say alot for his playing time the rest of the year, unless Fulky or Pons get in foul trouble. Same for Olivier.....he only got 3. We will be playing more small ball the rest of the year.
We really need to develop our depth, primarily for CoVID events.

Reactions: volfaninpa
For all the discussion on here concerning who should be the “main” pg, I still don’t see where it matters very much with the style of motion offense we run. SV is fine bringing the ball up the court on oub situations when someone jogs along with him to provide a pick if needed. Johnson and Springer have coughed the ball up also in pressure defense situations but I don’t view any of the 3 as weak. Comparing them to a Junior Bone isn’t fair as after 3 years in the system CRB might would have all 3 guys close to Bone’s skill level breaking pressure, but I doubt we get to find out. We have much bigger issues than pg if we want to reach our potential. JJJ and Pons being wildly inconsistent with their scoring seems to be mostly ignored on here and is a huge problem in the tournament when we face teams equally as talented. JJJ just putting up 2-3 shots in a game can’t happen just like Pons only grabbing 2-3 rebounds.

The good news is we’re not close to our ceiling yet
Agree. Let the game dictate. The best offensive lineup I’ve seen all year was tonight with SV,VBj,Springer, JJJ and Fulk. With that lineup JJJ could bring the ball up and SV-Springer would move down a spot in assignments on O.

Reactions: Vol4life2
For all the discussion on here concerning who should be the “main” pg, I still don’t see where it matters very much with the style of motion offense we run.

As discussed before that’s an easy answer. Which player can get us into the motion offense you mention the quickest

the longer the defense has to play in the half-court set the more they wear down

the longer they have to play in the half court set the more options we have with getting the bAll inside out like Barnes wants to play

the longer the have to play defense in the half court the more effective we are.

If we have a PG that has the respect of being Able to blow past that initial pressure teams will stop trying to play that pressure style that slows down the pace.

If it take 12-15 seconds for us to get into the half court offense that’s a big win for the defense. we haven’t seen much of that lately and that’s because Barnes has done a great jobs of mixing it up with the PG by committee and then yes it doesn’t make that much difference who is who

Reactions: The Dog
As discussed before that’s an easy answer. Which player can get us into the motion offense you mention the quickest

the longer the defense has to play in the half-court set the more they wear down

the longer they have to play in the half court set the more options we have with getting the bAll inside out like Barnes wants to play

the longer the have to play defense in the half court the more effective we are.

If we have a PG that has the respect of being Able to blow past that initial pressure teams will stop trying to play that pressure style that slows down the pace.

If it take 12-15 seconds for us to get into the half court offense that’s a big win for the defense. we haven’t seen much of that lately and that’s because Barnes has done a great jobs of mixing it up with the PG by committee and then yes it doesn’t make that much difference who is who
The guy that can blow past most defenders and get in the paint to become a triple threat is Springer and how he will make the most money in the NBA, as a point guard. I like the PG by committee, even a little point forward action, with JJJ. But, I think it's time to hand the keys over to Springer and let him drive this team to the promised land. Plus, I wanna see Walker get 10 minutes in one game, so I can see what game he has, better offense than ON and Anosike, imo

Reactions: cardvolfan
He had 0 rebounds
In what, 4 minutes? He needs more PT as I feel we are going to need him for depththe rest of this season. Just my opinion but Anosike doesn’t bring much to the table when he comes into the game other than a big body. Slows us down offensively. I wouldn’t play him unless the other team has a big bruising 5 man.

BTO do you only do writeups of the games we play well? Where’s the Alabama write up? My stomach is still upset from that one.

Reactions: vols 30
Very few things to complain about from this game. Our defense continues to be elite, and as long as that stays consistent we’ll have the chance to win any game and make a deep tourney run.

If these first 4 SEC games are any indication, it seems that there is a common theme in how teams choose to play us. The pace has been very deliberate with fewer possessions.

I think our biggest issue on offense is very fixable. We have 8 guys that I feel have great offensive talent, but really only one of them ever shows up each game and kind of takes ownership and leadership. Against Arkansas it was JJJ, yesterday it was Santi.

If we could find a way to consistently have two guys show up each game and be scoring threats then I think we’ll be really tough to beat.

VN Store

Back