BTO’s Presbyterian Postgame Report

bleedingTNorange

1. That is how you beat these sub 250 teams, never let them feel they are in it, keep your foot on the gas and allow some end of rotation guys to get more minutes than they typically would while saving the legs of some of your bigger minute guys. 26mins for Chandler led the way and we saw a host of guys get more minutes than they usually do, exactly what you hope for going into a game like that.

2. Let’s go team first, another very nice offensive showing and outside of Villanova a bit more of what we’ve started to expect from this squad. A lot of Rim 2’s and 3pt attempts, not much in the mid range which shows a shift in offensive philosophy towards the more modern game. Stole this from Will Warren, but Tennessee ranks #9th nationally in rim&3 rate change from last year, and many of those schools on the list had coaching changes, further evidence of the dramatic shift in offense so far this year. Another team note, through 6 games we are 3rd nationally in assists per game at 20.2apg and only 11.7topg, for a team to have nearly a 2:1 assist to turnover is elite.

3. Individually, another amazing performance from Chandler, Vescovi was Vescovi, Powell continues to show out and is deserving of more minutes. Bailey hit some shots which was nice to see but even when he’s hitting shots Powell likely is hitting just as many and is also doing other things, Bailey contributed 0rbd 1st 1to, Powell 3rbd 3ast 0to, to this point Bailey has been better on defense but Barnes complimented Powell postgame for continuing to improve his defense, he continues that and have to think his minutes continue to grow.

4. Need to see what the deal with JJJ, Barnes said surgery hasn’t been discussed so I’m guessing they expect him back semi-soon, how he fits in when he returns will be interesting as will the rotation. Do they go smaller (my preference) and cut out some post minutes, or go bigger and lose some minutes at the guard spots. He’s a great defender and communicator, if he can somewhat find his offense again he’s a big piece to add, hopefully we see him again soon.

5. We don’t really know what to make of this team still, or I don’t at least…5-1 is probably what most expected at this point, the loss to Nova looked bad, the win against UNC looked great, TTU wasn’t a great showing, but Presbyterian was elite on both ends…sooo? We are about to find out some things though, at Colorado and neutral game against Texas Tech back to back are both tough tests, we likely will be favored in both, but not by much…probably 3-4 against Colorado and 1-2 against TTU, 1-1 would seemingly be the expectation but a good chance to go 2-0 and start building some momentum.

6. I’ve seen enough of Aidoo that I’m fully on board with giving him whatever minutes you think you should be giving Plavsic…he’s almost certainly your starting 5 next year and his ceiling is so much higher than Plav’s it isn’t funny. Both will probably mess up on defense but Aidoo will at least block a shot or two, play aggressive, and probably get an easy dunk or two a game…not a knock on Plav, I love the kid and if you’ve followed my posts you know I’ve been a big fan of his before we even landed him, but time to move on.

GBO!!!!

Last edited:
Aidoo looked to me (in the few minutes I got to watch) like he was playing in his head too much. Fighting against his natural tendencies to help/hunt for block vs. staying with his man in rotation. A lot of young athletic bigs struggle with that. Now, that's NOT a knock on him. I like that he was out there for some extended minutes AND that he was mildly impactful while thinking so hard. Definitely looking forward to his development and potential!

POW! el went 5 of 5 from 3-point land!
I hope we see that kind of performance against SEC competition.

Reactions: walkenvol
We need the light to come on for HH and Aidoo. If we keep pounding sand with Plavi, we simply wont maximize whats likely to be Chandler and HH lone season in Knoxville. They will certainly learn on the job and make mistakes, but both give us more than Plavi. Lets roll with those 2 now.

Last edited:
Aidoo looked to me (in the few minutes I got to watch) like he was playing in his head too much. Fighting against his natural tendencies to help/hunt for block vs. staying with his man in rotation. A lot of young athletic bigs struggle with that. Now, that's NOT a knock on him. I like that he was out there for some extended minutes AND that he was mildly impactful while thinking so hard. Definitely looking forward to his development and potential!
He just has not had enough practice time due to being physically unable to practice for 6 weeks because of sickness.
He will get there ... it is going to be Jan or Feb before we begin to see consistent play.
You can see the flashes occasionally.
Going to be an exceptional, athletic and dominant center.

We need the light to come on for HH and Aidoo. If we keep pounding sand with Plavi, we simply wont maximize whats likely to be Chandler and HH in Knoxville. They will certainly learn on the job and make mistakes, but both give us more than Plavi. Lets roll with those 2 now.
I understand what you are saying! However, I do see a place for Uros.
It looks to me that the upside is greater for BHH and Aidoo vs Uros.
However, the sample size is too small on Aidoo (10 total minutes), in comparison, Mashack has almost 3 times the number of minutes (28 total minutes) ... that should tell you he is just not physically ready (bb playing shape), YET! Rick will play him more ... when Jonas is READY for more minutes.
Let's see how foul prone some players are ... (in terms of minutes per game)
BHH 1 per 17.17 (17 mpg)
Vescovi 1 per 9.33 (28 mpg)
ON 1 per 8.87 (25 mpg)
Uros 1 per 5.16 (10 mpg)

Aidoo 0 in 10 minutes

He just has not had enough practice time due to being physically unable to practice for 6 weeks because of sickness.
He will get there ... it is going to be Jan or Feb before we begin to see consistent play.
You can see the flashes occasionally.
Going to be an exceptional, athletic and dominant center.
Aidoo can shoot the 3-ball as well!

I understand what you are saying! However, I do see a place for Uros.
It looks to me that the upside is greater for BHH and Aidoo vs Uros.
However, the sample size is too small on Aidoo (10 total minutes), in comparison, Mashack has almost 3 times the number of minutes (28 total minutes) ... that should tell you he is just not physically ready (bb playing shape), YET! Rick will play him more ... when Jonas is READY for more minutes.
Let's see how foul prone some players are ... (in terms of minutes per game)
BHH 1 per 17.17 (17 mpg)
Vescovi 1 per 9.33 (28 mpg)
ON 1 per 8.87 (25 mpg)
Uros 1 per 5.16 (10 mpg)

Aidoo 0 in 10 minutes
Point well taken, but I think HH needs the minutes, if not the start, instead of Plavi. Give Plavi and Aidoo the backup minutes. we cant play 5 on 4 against better competition.

1. That is how you beat these sub 250 teams, never let them feel they are in it, keep your foot on the gas and allow some end of rotation guys to get more minutes than they typically would while saving the legs of some of your bigger minute guys. 26mins for Chandler led the way and we saw a host of guys get more minutes than they usually do, exactly what you hope for going into a game like that.

2. Let’s go team first, another very nice offensive showing and outside of Villanova a bit more of what we’ve started to expect from this squad. A lot of Rim 2’s and 3pt attempts, not much in the mid range which shows a shift in offensive philosophy towards the more modern game. Stole this from Will Warren, but Tennessee ranks #9th nationally in rim&3 rate change from last year, and many of those schools on the list had coaching changes, further evidence of the dramatic shift in offense so far this year. Another team note, through 6 games we are 3rd nationally in assists per game at 20.2apg and only 11.7topg, for a team to have nearly a 2:1 assist to turnover is elite.

3. Individually, another amazing performance from Chandler, Vescovi was Vescovi, Powell continues to show out and is deserving of more minutes. Bailey hit some shots which was nice to see but even when he’s hitting shots Powell likely is hitting just as many and is also doing other things, Bailey contributed 0rbd 1st 1to, Powell 3rbd 3ast 0to, to this point Bailey has been better on defense but Barnes complimented Powell postgame for continuing to improve his defense, he continues that and have to think his minutes continue to grow.

4. Need to see what the deal with JJJ, Barnes said surgery hasn’t been discussed so I’m guessing they expect him back semi-soon, how he fits in when he returns will be interesting as will the rotation. Do they go smaller (my preference) and cut out some post minutes, or go bigger and lose some minutes at the guard spots. He’s a great defender and communicator, if he can somewhat find his offense again he’s a big piece to add, hopefully we see him again soon.

5. We don’t really know what to make of this team still, or I don’t at least…5-1 is probably what most expected at this point, the loss to Nova looked bad, the win against UNC looked great, TTU wasn’t a great showing, but Presbyterian was elite on both ends…sooo? We are about to find out some things though, at Colorado and neutral game against Texas Tech back to back are both tough tests, we likely will be favored in both, but not by much…probably 3-4 against Colorado and 1-2 against TTU, 1-1 would seemingly be the expectation but a good chance to go 2-0 and start building some momentum.

6. I’ve seen enough of Aidoo that I’m fully on board with giving him whatever minutes you think you should be giving Plavsic…he’s almost certainly your starting 5 next year and his ceiling is so much higher than Plav’s it isn’t funny. Both will probably mess up on defense but Aidoo will at least block a shot or two, play aggressive, and probably get an easy dunk or two a game…not a knock on Plav, I love the kid and if you’ve followed my posts you know I’ve been a big fan of his before we even landed him, but time to move on.

GBO!!!!

I think we might see a four guard lineup at times this season if JJJ comes back, he could slide to the center position and Tennessee could run the opposition to death.

Solid writeup.

They won’t get better simply by giving them minutes. They need to have good habits to be given more minutes. If they are doing things incorrectly, it’s best to get them off of the court instead of leaving them in the game ingraining the bad habits.

We need the light to come on for HH and Aidoo. If we keep pounding sand with Plavi, we simply wont maximize whats likely to be Chandler and HH lone season in Knoxville. They will certainly learn on the job and make mistakes, but both give us more than Plavi. Lets roll with those 2 now.
BHH is not likely to be one and done

I hope so. He’s 6’10, nearly 250 pounds and a beast. Great hands, balance, athletic ability. Honestly, at face value I’m disappointed we haven’t seen more of him and less of Uros.

I am with you on that. I know UP brings it the best he can but his offensive game is so limited. I guess CRB is just rewarding him because of how well he practices maybe? His only move is the baby hook in the paint.

I am with you on that. I know UP brings it the best he can but his offensive game is so limited. I guess CRB is just rewarding him because of how well he practices maybe? His only move is the baby hook in the paint.
Little baby hook, yes. Otherwise, nil. Sometimes my expectations are probably too high.

Number of players Barnes is 'regularly' putting on the floor per game: 10 players have played in 5 of the 6 games (Powell was sick 1 game, Fulkerson was held out 1 game, and Mashack who is making a bid for playing time with JJJ out has only missed 1 game)
Mashack is 11th in total minutes played.
Note: JJJ has only appeared in 3 games.

Who is averaging 30+ minutes per game: NOBODY! Here is the top 6, in mpg ... Vescovi 28, Chandler 27, JJJ 25, Fulky 24, ON 23 Powell 19 (Top 6 - because JJJ is a statistical anomaly).
For my persnickety friends, who argue about the 6th man ..... BHH and Bailey both have 17 mpg and are trying to unseat Powell (19) as measured by minutes.

Against Presbyterian
Bailey started and played 18 minutes
Powell was the 7th man on the floor and played 21 minutes (most minutes by a non-starter).

How many players are in double digits (in mpg): 10 ... it could go down to 9 if and when JJJ returns to the floor (maybe).

It's not a new pattern. We should recognize it by now. Guys don't get in the game until they've shown something they can do in practice (usually defensively, then on the boards, and finally, putting in points).

Then, they get in the game and (cue 50 post-game interviews with Barnes) "he isn't doing in the game what he shows us in practice."

That goes on for a month--or a season--and then the light comes on and we get to finally see what the coaches and teammates have been seeing for a long time in practice.

Is it a pattern because of the kind of coaching they get, or because of the types of personalities Barnes recruits. My bet is on the latter.

It's not a new pattern. We should recognize it by now. Guys don't get in the game until they've shown something they can do in practice (usually defensively, then on the boards, and finally, putting in points).

Then, they get in the game and (cue 50 post-game interviews with Barnes) "he isn't doing in the game what he shows us in practice."

That goes on for a month--or a season--and then the light comes on and we get to finally see what the coaches and teammates have been seeing for a long time in practice.

Is it a pattern because of the kind of coaching they get, or because of the types of personalities Barnes recruits. My bet is on the latter.

It's probably a pattern with a lot of teams and coaches. Just human nature to take one step at a time.

Reactions: walkenvol

VN Store

Back