BTO’s Ole Miss Postgame Report

bleedingTNorange

1. You never take a conference win for granted, at home or on the road…we just went to Alabama down 2 of our best players and gave them everything they wanted, this league is tough and these coaches know each other, short handed or not…that doesn’t mean it wasn’t ugly or that there’s not room to improve, but you take any conference win in any fashion that you can get them, tonight included.

2. I’ll go positive first…Santiago Vescovi continues to show himself as quite arguably THE GUY on this team. He doesn’t disappear, he might take an ill advised shot or two, but when other guys are playing hot potato and afraid of the moment he is not. Add in that his on ball defense is dramatically improved and he’s looking more and more like a guy that very well might find himself on an All-SEC team at years end. Gutsy effort from him tonight though, 41mins, 17pts 6rbds 5ast, multiple big plays down the stretch.

3. I’ll go another positive, Zakai Zeigler, he was an absolute pest the last 5 minutes and hit a huge 3 as well…his 3pt% has been disappointing to me but the rest of his game has been impressive, that guy does not back down and he was an absolute nuisance to Ole Miss defensively especially when they lost their PG late.

4. Ok to the bad…Fulk looked like $hit, on both ends, which is really disappointing considering how he looked against Zona. Maybe that’s effects from COVID and I get that, but I wish Barnes would have identified it earlier on and made the move to keep him out sooner, he was bad tonight. Chandler also struggled for a large part of the game but came alive late and made some big plays, he’s got to step it up as he’s struggled a bit of late for us.

5. The defense was elite, once again, yet another opponent below 1ppp which ties the program record at 10 straight opponents in the KenPom era…will also boost our overall efficiency number defensively and keep us #2 nationally. On nights like tonight when shots aren’t falling that defense will keep you in a game, it travels on the road and that is a great luxury to have, but it doesn’t mean that everything is fine.

6. The offense was just as equally opposite bad and the defense was good, we continue to shoot really poor from the outside and that just doesn’t make a ton of sense, we’ve got better shooters than the numbers suggest, and of late turnovers haven’t helped those matters at all. The minutes played was a good sign that Barnes is indeed seeing Powell > Bailey, but we’ve got to start shooting better from 3, simple as that, 29% from deep isn’t going to cut it.

7. We won a conference game, we move to 1-1, I preached weeks ago that our start to SEC play was rough…2-3 was expectation and anything better would be gravy, we move to 1-1 and had a real chance at 2-0 even being short handed. There are things to work on for sure and Saturday against LSU won’t be easy at all, Barnes has struggled there and they just beat Kentucky, will be a rowdy crowd and a tough test…LSU is the #1 defensive team in the country and we are #2, theoretically this game could be even uglier than tonight’s, hang on.

GBO!!!

1. You never take a conference win for granted, at home or on the road…we just went to Alabama down 2 of our best players and gave them everything they wanted, this league is tough and these coaches know each other, short handed or not…that doesn’t mean it wasn’t ugly or that there’s not room to improve, but you take any conference win in any fashion that you can get them, tonight included.

2. I’ll go positive first…Santiago Vescovi continues to show himself as quite arguably THE GUY on this team. He doesn’t disappear, he might take an ill advised shot or two, but when other guys are playing hot potato and afraid of the moment he is not. Add in that his on ball defense is dramatically improved and he’s looking more and more like a guy that very well might find himself on an All-SEC team at years end. Gutsy effort from him tonight though, 41mins, 17pts 6rbds 5ast, multiple big plays down the stretch.

3. I’ll go another positive, Zakai Zeigler, he was an absolute pest the last 5 minutes and hit a huge 3 as well…his 3pt% has been disappointing to me but the rest of his game has been impressive, that guy does not back down and he was an absolute nuisance to Ole Miss defensively especially when they lost their PG late.

4. Ok to the bad…Fulk looked like $hit, on both ends, which is really disappointing considering how he looked against Zona. Maybe that’s effects from COVID and I get that, but I wish Barnes would have identified it earlier on and made the move to keep him out sooner, he was bad tonight. Chandler also struggled for a large part of the game but came alive late and made some big plays, he’s got to step it up as he’s struggled a bit of late for us.

5. The defense was elite, once again, yet another opponent below 1ppp which ties the program record at 10 straight opponents in the KenPom era…will also boost our overall efficiency number defensively and keep us #2 nationally. On nights like tonight when shots aren’t falling that defense will keep you in a game, it travels on the road and that is a great luxury to have, but it doesn’t mean that everything is fine.

6. The offense was just as equally opposite bad and the defense was good, we continue to shoot really poor from the outside and that just doesn’t make a ton of sense, we’ve got better shooters than the numbers suggest, and of late turnovers haven’t helped those matters at all. The minutes played was a good sign that Barnes is indeed seeing Powell > Bailey, but we’ve got to start shooting better from 3, simple as that, 29% from deep isn’t going to cut it.

7. We won a conference game, we move to 1-1, I preached weeks ago that our start to SEC play was rough…2-3 was expectation and anything better would be gravy, we move to 1-1 and had a real chance at 2-0 even being short handed. There are things to work on for sure and Saturday against LSU won’t be easy at all, Barnes has struggled there and they just beat Kentucky, will be a rowdy crowd and a tough test…LSU is the #1 defensive team in the country and we are #2, theoretically this game could be even uglier than tonight’s, hang on.

GBO!!!

I commend you for your bravery in (quite effectively) summarizing that game

Fulkerson looked pale and weak like he should still be in bed and drink more water. Chandler looked really rusty and had some very questionable decisions that felt like they all led to transition 3s by Ole Miss.

Vescovi played amazing this game.

Surprisingly, I was actually okay with Plavsic this game and thought he again had a tough rebound or two.

We really need to improve our 3 PT shooting. I think our offensive philosophy would be great if we could actually shoot.

Edit: I should say I give Chandler and Fulk a mulligan for being sick and off so long.

Last edited:
KC is not being developed offensively. Seems like his decision making isn’t improving and is becoming more indecisive. I’m not just referencing tonight either. Maybe we win a lot of games playing good defense but we won’t be truly great unless we get at least good offense and especially from a talent like KC, even as a freshman.

Defense was elite yet again, I think you could start off every post in a post-game report with that exact sentence. I don't think much else needs to be said about that other than we're just really, really good defensively....

......but, we are just a bad offensive team. I have serious concerns this team is exactly like last year. We see the potential with our weapons, we preach patience and that things will get better, but then they never do. I seriously hope I am wrong though. I so, so want to be wrong.

Powell needs to let loose. He needs to stop turning down shots for the extra pass. Chandler also HAS to be better. I'm starting to entertain the idea he could be back next year if he doesn't improve. He has played one good game this year against a Power 5 team. He was exceptional against Colorado on the road, and he has disappeared since then. We desperately need him to be the first-round pick all the mocks say he should be.

I hate constantly sounding so negative, but it's BECAUSE I see how good this team could be. I want these pieces to click. I don't want to see a redux of 2020-2021. I so hope I can be told to eat crow here soon, but for now this team is just average until their offense proves otherwise.

KC is not being developed offensively. Seems like his decision making isn’t improving and is becoming more indecisive. I’m not just referencing tonight either. Maybe we win a lot of games playing good defense but we won’t be truly great unless we get at least good offense and especially from a talent like KC, even as a freshman.
I think we need to see how Chandler plays against LSU or the next team. He’s only looked hesitant in like the last two games to me.

And I think we need to give guys longer than like 2 days past quarantine/isolation before we blame them for being weak from COVID, though I’m just hoping Zona Fulkerson is back by the tournament. It’s like every time he starts taking over something freaky happens.

I don’t disagree…he’s got to be better, in all honesty how much did his hot start from 3 maybe disguise some things? First 4 games 8/12 for 67%, last 9 games 8/35 for 23%.

Defense was elite yet again, I think you could start off every post in a post-game report with that exact sentence. I don't think much else needs to be said about that other than we're just really, really good defensively....

......but, we are just a bad offensive team. I have serious concerns this team is exactly like last year. We see the potential with our weapons, we preach patience and that things will get better, but then they never do. I seriously hope I am wrong though. I so, so want to be wrong.

Powell needs to let loose. He needs to stop turning down shots for the extra pass. Chandler also HAS to be better. I'm starting to entertain the idea he could be back next year if he doesn't improve. He has played one good game this year against a Power 5 team. He was exceptional against Colorado on the road, and he has disappeared since then. We desperately need him to be the first-round pick all the mocks say he should be.

I hate constantly sounding so negative, but it's BECAUSE I see how good this team could be. I want these pieces to click. I don't want to see a redux of 2020-2021. I so hope I can be told to eat crow here soon, but for now this team is just average until their offense proves otherwise.
Last years team didn’t have a Top 2 defense, I’m not saying this team is going places, but I don’t think calling them average or saying they’re like last years team in necessarily accurate.

Last years team didn’t have a Top 2 defense, I’m not saying this team is going places, but I don’t think calling them average or saying they’re like last years team in necessarily accurate.

We weren’t Top 2, but last year still was a great defense. Im not saying it’s a carbon copy, but the similarities are there. Two teams that get after it defensively and keep you in games, and two teams that struggle to find an offensive identity.

It’s still early obviously, so the jury is still out but it’s not a unfair comparison, IMO.

Chandler needs to go back to his strength, which in my opinion is going to the rim and dishing when it isn't there. Allow the outside shot to come back by gaining confidence in putting points on the board closer to the rim.

Last 2 games he has started shooting outside first and when that hasn't fallen he has just abandoned scoring the ball altogether. He is a definite talent and we need him to be a scorer.

We weren’t Top 2, but last year still was a great defense. Im not saying it’s a carbon copy, but the similarities are there. Two teams that get after it defensively and keep you in games, and two teams that struggle to find an offensive identity.

It’s still early obviously, so the jury is still out but it’s not a unfair comparison, IMO.
Last years offense ranked around 100th and defense around 20th…if you want to compare them because both were better defensively than offensively then ok I guess, but I think the defense is on another level this year and the offense to this point is better as well.

Last years offense ranked around 100th and defense around 20th…if you want to compare them because both were better defensively than offensively then ok I guess, but I think the defense is on another level this year and the offense to this point is better as well.

I have been extremely high on this team’s defense. I have said it time and time and time again, because I know if I criticize the offense (fairly) I’ll be called unfair and crazy.

I have zero qualms with how the defense has played. It’s been incredible. I’m not trying to even make statistical KenPom comparisons to last year. 20th still is really good.

I’m simply making the point thay if the offense doesn’t figure it out, they will be the downfall of this team like last year. That’s it. And, I feel like it’s fair to have concerns about this offense, man.

I have been extremely high on this team’s defense. I have said it time and time and time again, because I know if I criticize the offense (fairly) I’ll be called unfair and crazy.

I have zero qualms with how the defense has played. It’s been incredible. I’m not trying to even make statistical KenPom comparisons to last year. 20th still is really good.

I’m simply making the point thay if the offense doesn’t figure it out, they will be the downfall of this team like last year. That’s it. And, I feel like it’s fair to have concerns about this offense, man.
I agree the offense is the weak link right now and needs to improve, I have said as much as well…was just stating that this years defense is much better than last years, which was already good.

The offense doesn’t have to be great, just a bit better and more efficient and we’d be fine, which is aggravating because you’d have thought we’d shoot much better this year.

I don’t disagree…he’s got to be better, in all honesty how much did his hot start from 3 maybe disguise some things? First 4 games 8/12 for 67%, last 9 games 8/35 for 23%.
Not sure. Even if he has gone a bit cold from 3 I’m ok w taking open ones. Definitely don’t want guys to lack confidence and aggressiveness. I’m actually not sure what problem Barnes had w his shot at the end of regulation. Given that Ole Miss had like 4 guys already in position and Chandler made a great move to get an open 3 w only a few seconds left I thought that was a good look.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
Bama was a game we gave away and Ole Miss gave us one back. Defense was great but will only take us so far. Offensively, in the half court set we are not good. We need to run early and often off defensive rebounds and stops.

Not sure. Even if he has gone a bit cold from 3 I’m ok w taking open ones. Definitely don’t want guys to lack confidence and aggressiveness. I’m actually not sure what problem Barnes had w his shot at the end of regulation. Given that Ole Miss had like 4 guys already in position and Chandler made a great move to get an open 3 w only a few seconds left I thought that was a good look.
OM had a guy trailing iirc, think it was more about getting into the lane for either a look, dump off or wide open kick out. Chandler’s 3 wasn’t bad, just think he thought they probably could’ve gotten a “better” look, which Zeigler was wide open in the corner next to him.

OM had a guy trailing iirc, think it was more about getting into the lane for either a look, dump off or wide open kick out. Chandler’s 3 wasn’t bad, just think he thought they probably could’ve gotten a “better” look, which Zeigler was wide open in the corner next to him.
What’s better than an open 3? That might actually illustrate my point. This indecisiveness/second-guessing is a confidence/offense killer. We need to be aggressive

What’s better than an open 3? That might actually illustrate my point. This indecisiveness/second-guessing is a confidence/offense killer. We need to be aggressive

Yep. This team needs to be fearless. Can't second-guess themselves. If we can do that, I think the offense will come. Attack, attack, attack. Especially Powell.

VN Store

Back