BTO’s Florida A&M postgame report

bleedingTNorange

1. That’s an awful team we played, really hard to take much from it or judge a whole lot, we did what we should and won the game going away and were able to get a lot of our younger guys some valuable minutes, exactly what you were hoping for heading into this game.

2. Again can’t take a whole lot from this game, but Fulk and Pons both looked good once again which was nice to see, both guys were aggressive and combined to go 11-19 from the field, 29 points on 19 shots, can’t complain about that.

3. Florida A&M is horrible offensively, but we are also very good defensively and showed that once again tonight...we have our struggles offensively but if we can continue to bring the focus and defensive effort each night then we are going to win our fair share of ball games...this team is a better defensive squad than last years team, not sure many thought that was very likely preseason.

4. Vols gets 10 days off before they welcome Memphis to TBA, it’s gonna be a sold out arena and a rocking atmosphere. Vols have a chance to extend their nation leading home winning streak and in the process pick up another nice win. Vols are sitting at 7-1 and if they can beat Memphis all of a sudden you start looking ahead and a better OOC showing than any of us realistically expected starts to become very likely.

GBO!!!

Just a dumb scheduling decision

We would have been better off playing Maryville college and I am being serious

Reactions: TrumpedUpVol
Overall, a sloppy game that was hard to watch at times, imo.

I like the fact that these guys play hard, especially on the defensive end. However, some of the long scoring droughts and stretches of empty possessions are going to become much more noticeable as the quality of team we face increases.

Hopefully, we take advantage of the next 10 days and look a lot better on the 14th.

Reactions: LibertyVol
Wouldn’t have minded a slightly better team, but also get not wanting a potential L coming off the tourney.

Agreed but i know playing a non D1 team isn’t all bad when it comes to the metrics. That’s why I mentioned playing Maryville college being better

Turnovers have to get under control. This game it was mostly JJJ and ON. I don't know if that's good or bad. But Turner and Bowden were not the culprits this time, that's a silver lining. Maybe not silver more Mercury?

Agreed but i know playing a non D1 team isn’t all bad when it comes to the metrics. That’s why I mentioned playing Maryville college being better
MC my alma mater. Don’t see them thrown around too much in this forum so I figured I’d draw a little attention to it. Randy Lambert was an awesome coach, MC was a GREAT D3 school. He retired last season after his 39th year. A few weeks ago, I attended the 110-55 drubbing they received from MTSU in Murfreesboro. Go Scots! But Go Vols!

Reactions: BruinVol
MC my alma mater. Don’t see them thrown around too much in this forum so I figured I’d draw a little attention to it. Randy Lambert was an awesome coach, MC was a GREAT D3 school. He retired last season after his 39th year. A few weeks ago, I attended the 110-55 drubbing they received from MTSU in Murfreesboro. Go Scots! But Go Vols!

Yea that was rough at MTSU

Reactions: Johnnyreb#VFL
I know the opponent was terrible, but it looked like for the second game in a row, Tennessee made a concerted effort to get the ball down low (good to see).

Reactions: RollerVol
1. That’s an awful team we played, really hard to take much from it or judge a whole lot, we did what we should and won the game going away and were able to get a lot of our younger guys some valuable minutes, exactly what you were hoping for heading into this game.

2. Again can’t take a whole lot from this game, but Fulk and Pons both looked good once again which was nice to see, both guys were aggressive and combined to go 11-19 from the field, 29 points on 19 shots, can’t complain about that.

3. Florida A&M is horrible offensively, but we are also very good defensively and showed that once again tonight...we have our struggles offensively but if we can continue to bring the focus and defensive effort each night then we are going to win our fair share of ball games...this team is a better defensive squad than last years team, not sure many thought that was very likely preseason.

4. Vols gets 10 days off before they welcome Memphis to TBA, it’s gonna be a sold out arena and a rocking atmosphere. Vols have a chance to extend their nation leading home winning streak and in the process pick up another nice win. Vols are sitting at 7-1 and if they can beat Memphis all of a sudden you start looking ahead and a better OOC showing than any of us realistically expected starts to become very likely.

GBO!!!

We need another guard that can handle the ball to take pressure off Turner...Hopefully the kid committed to us can be eligible in January and play a few minutes at the point

This team seems more selfish imo. I don't see the crisp ball movement that leads to good shots and layups. The turnovers from both poor passing and poor decisions is night and day worse than last year. Poor shooting, got to make the open shot. However tough to look good against Alabama State even though It was a blow out.

Hard game to watch. Poor announcers tried to talk about everything but the game just to keep the audience interested. My biggest concern is Bowden and Turner offensive woes. They are both missing a lot of " open" looks from beyond the arc

We need another guard that can handle the ball to take pressure off Turner...Hopefully the kid committed to us can be eligible in January and play a few minutes at the point

guess we better start a "FREE PLAV" rally also...we need both...:D

GO BIG ORANGE!

Reactions: Special Ed
This team seems more selfish imo. I don't see the crisp ball movement that leads to good shots and layups. The turnovers from both poor passing and poor decisions is night and day worse than last year. Poor shooting, got to make the open shot. However tough to look good against Alabama State even though It was a blow out.
Very hard to look good against the team we didn’t play

I liked the announcer saying the Vols are better than FSU and should have won that game.

I liked the announcer saying the Vols are better than FSU and should have won that game.
That was a game where one could say we beat ourselves and not be far off. Gave them 10 unearned points in the first 4 minutes and spent the rest of the game trying to overcome it.

Reactions: TrumpedUpVol

Don’t confuse inexperience with selfishness. This team just hasn’t played together enough to have the flow to the ball movement as last years team nor will it. This team shouldn’t be judged against last year anyways

Did anyone else hear the heckler from the crowd yelling at the big for A&M on the free throw line telling him to eat a salad? My daughter and I couldn’t stop laughing after we heard that. On a more serious note, I am glad LT did not play much in the 2nd half giving JJJ more minutes at PG. Once JJJ gets comfortable on offense, sky is the limit for him.

Turnovers have to get under control. This game it was mostly JJJ and ON. I don't know if that's good or bad. But Turner and Bowden were not the culprits this time, that's a silver lining. Maybe not silver more Mercury?
Yeah, turnovers have been consistent this year......not good. Last night they didn't pressure our wings and we still had too many. Olivier's came trying to put the ball on the floor in too much traffic. Some of these turnovers should be correctable, but definitely need to keep it down.

Our four freshmen have great hands.....all of them. They're combined basketball IQ is really impressive, too.

You're the first person I've seen say anything like this; to me it's almost the opposite, nobody wants the ball to score. I've seen too many players, especially Bowden and JJJ drive the lane and then pass out when they should go to the hoop.

VN Store

Back