Bruin-question about fully financed schools.

NighthawkVol

Recently (don’t remember which thread), you listed the schools that are fully financed for baseball. I believe there were 14. Would you mind listing those again?

Also, how are there public schools on that list? I thought that the reason Vanderbilt could fully finance and Tennessee can’t is because Tennessee is public. Can you explain?

If a college coach is worth anything, he and the staff should be able to structure the %'s to get to a full 27 on scholarship. I think 8 still have to be fully free of any aid.

As long as it is uniform, I have no problem with it. But, if you allow certain types of schools to give more than others (for example, private vs public), then it makes for an uneven playing field.

Like I said, I hope school find ways to give 35 guys a full ride. If a school can't afford it, tough. They can ask to form a division 2.

Like I said, I hope school find ways to give 35 guys a full ride. If a school can't afford it, tough. They can ask to form a division 2.

I have always wondered why NCAA baseball and softball scholly numbers are so low.

Especially with Title IX, you’d think they would be begging to give away softball rides to offset football. (Not saying I agree with the tit for tat, but it is what it is.)

I have always wondered why NCAA baseball and softball scholly numbers are so low.

Especially with Title IX, you’d think they would be begging to give away softball rides to offset football. (Not saying I agree with the tit for tat, but it is what it is.)
Not disagreeing with you at all, just sophmorically found the phrasing of your last sentence funny, especially in regards to Title IX.

Recently (don’t remember which thread), you listed the schools that are fully financed for baseball. I believe there were 14. Would you mind listing those again?

Also, how are there public schools on that list? I thought that the reason Vanderbilt could fully finance and Tennessee can’t is because Tennessee is public. Can you explain?

Bruin can expound but I think it boils down to the full-aid has to simply be offered across the board to all students; not just athletes. As long as schools are financially able and willing then anyone can offer this. UT with an endowment of $1.4B and 30k students “cant” do it while Vandy with an $8B endowment and 13k students can.

Reactions: NighthawkVol
Bruin can expound but I think it boils down to the full-aid has to simply be offered across the board to all students; not just athletes. As long as schools are financially able and willing then anyone can offer this. UT with an endowment of $1.4B and 30k students “cant” do it while Vandy with an $8B endowment and 13k students can.

So you're saying that Vandy is well-endowed and UT is not well-endowed.
:(

Tat is the lucky one here IMHO....

Reactions: txbo
Vanderbilt has a scholarship fund, I don’t know the exact name of it, but it provides full financial aid for any student they accept that qualifies based on financial need. Since Vanderbilt is so expensive many middle class families qualify therefore Corbin can use that money for players who qualify without dipping into his 11.7. That 11.7 money can be used for the Rockers & Lieters who don’t qualify.

Since Vandy accepts such a small number of freshmen compared to a public school, this works for them in the spring sports, not just baseball.

My son played college summer ball with several VU players early in Corbins tenure. None were starters but all were on full scholarship somehow.

Vanderbilt has a scholarship fund, I don’t know the exact name of it, but it provides full financial aid for any student they accept that qualifies based on financial need. Since Vanderbilt is so expensive many middle class families qualify therefore Corbin can use that money for players who qualify without dipping into his 11.7. That 11.7 money can be used for the Rockers & Lieters who don’t qualify.

Since Vandy accepts such a small number of freshmen compared to a public school, this works for them in the spring sports, not just baseball.

My son played college summer ball with several VU players early in Corbins tenure. None were starters but all were on full scholarship somehow.
They’d have to be fairly “poor” (I don’t mean that to be derogatory) to be in full scholarship I would assume? The way I understand it, Opportunity Vanderbilt says “you should be able to afford $10k based on your financial situation, therefore you’re on the hook for that and we make up the difference between the $70k cost of attendance and $10k you can pay”.

Reactions: CunningLinguist
They’d have to be fairly “poor” (I don’t mean that to be derogatory) to be in full scholarship I would assume? The way I understand it, Opportunity Vanderbilt says “you should be able to afford $10k based on your financial situation, therefore you’re on the hook for that and we make up the difference between the $70k cost of attendance and $10k you can pay”.
Not sure I’d agree with that totally. As you can see here there are award ABOVE the COA for some students and I’d bet my paycheck who gets those awards

Attachments

• 948114D8-6347-4E7E-9CC5-045CE0B5DFAF.jpeg
    948114D8-6347-4E7E-9CC5-045CE0B5DFAF.jpeg
    479.8 KB · Views: 24
Not sure I’d agree with that totally. As you can see here there are award ABOVE the COA for some students and I’d bet my paycheck who gets those awards
I was guessing on the $70k piece. That top line, last column of $80k being awarded, surely the total COA would be equal to or above that? Vandy isn’t paying people to come to school are they? And even those award numbers would apply to what I said by “poor”; an annual household income of $40k is pretty meager.

I was guessing on the $70k piece. That top line, last column of $80k being awarded, surely the total COA would be equal to or above that? Vandy isn’t paying people to come to school are they? And even those award numbers would apply to what I said by “poor”; an annual household income of $40k is pretty meager.

The COA can vary amongst students depending on where they live but according to a recent article football recognized COA at vandy at just under 65k

The COA can vary amongst students depending on where they live but according to a recent article football recognized COA at vandy at just under 65k

So, Bruin, let me see if I'm understanding this correctly. Assuming the COA is $65K/year, and my income as a parent(s) is approx. $100K per year, then my son would qualify for a median award from Opportunity Vanderbilt of about $58K (might be more, might be less, but that is listed as the median award). I would then be on the hook for the additional $7K/year. Now, if he's lucky enough to be put on scholarship (assuming that all 27 players on scholarship have to have at least .25 of a scholarship, I believe that is the rule) and the minimum .25 scholarship is worth $16,250 (COA x .25), then my son would have basically a full scholarship. If he's one of the 7 walk-ons on the team, then I'd still owe for the $7K (minus the HOPE scholarship, if he's from TN, or any other academic scholarship monies that might be available to him).

That could add up to many more full scholarship than 11.7 allows for sure, if I'm understanding it correctly.

So, Bruin, let me see if I'm understanding this correctly. Assuming the COA is $65K/year, and my income as a parent(s) is approx. $100K per year, then my son would qualify for a median award from Opportunity Vanderbilt of about $58K (might be more, might be less, but that is listed as the median award). I would then be on the hook for the additional $7K/year. Now, if he's lucky enough to be put on scholarship (assuming that all 27 players on scholarship have to have at least .25 of a scholarship, I believe that is the rule) and the minimum .25 scholarship is worth $16,250 (COA x .25), then my son would have basically a full scholarship. If he's one of the 7 walk-ons on the team, then I'd still owe for the $7K (minus the HOPE scholarship, if he's from TN, or any other academic scholarship monies that might be available to him).

That could add up to many more full scholarship than 11.7 allows for sure, if I'm understanding it correctly.

The ncaa recently started allowing schools to combine athletic $(11.7) with financial so yes that’s possible: however I have been told Vandy doesn’t combine the two. Frankly they don’t have to as the need based aid is so damn good

Reactions: cthvolsfan
Vandy is so loaded, it's nuts. I interviewed for a faculty position there before starting at UT, and one of the benefits they offered is to pay the equivalent of 70% of Vanderbilt's tuition costs for children of faculty to attend ANY accredited college (not that many of them cost more than Vandy). Never heard of anything like that.

Vandy is so loaded, it's nuts. I interviewed for a faculty position there before starting at UT, and one of the benefits they offered is to pay the equivalent of 70% of Vanderbilt's tuition costs for children of faculty to attend ANY accredited college (not that many of them cost more than Vandy). Never heard of anything like that.

If you work in the hospital or are any employee, (I am not sure about *any* college), but you get >50% discount for your kids to attend Vandy. Any position. The damn janitor meets the threshold.

VN Store

Back