Bruce Pearl Post Game Radio interview

I will always respect what Bruce did here and turning us into a contender and being relevant, but a coach who seems to get forgotten is Jerry Greene. In 4 seasons he got us to the NCAA tournament every year including a sweet 16 appearance in 2000. When he took the coaching job in 1997 we hadn’t been to the Big Dance since 1989. We tied for the SEC regular season title in the 99-2000 year.

I will always respect what Bruce did here and turning us into a contender and being relevant, but a coach who seems to get forgotten is Jerry Greene. In 4 seasons he got us to the NCAA tournament every year including a sweet 16 appearance in 2000. When he took the coaching job in 1997 we hadn’t been to the Big Dance since 1989. We tied for the SEC regular season title in the 99-2000 year.
That’s when I was in school. My freshman year was Green’s first year and I loved going to the games. They used to give out those 6th man orange t-shirts back then and I kept mine until it literally fell apart just a few years ago. I still remember the buzzer beater over Miami OH who had Wally Szczerbiak at the time. That was an awesome game and helped kick off a fun run under Green. Like you said, we hadn’t been relevant in a while so even though there were issues with Green I very much appreciate what he did here.

Respect that view. I know there are a lot of Bruce haters on here and I think get that, too. I am not one of them. I’m a Bruce fan. I forgave him a long time ago. I believe he is a great basketball coach. As is Barnes, of course.
I too think Bruce is a great basketball coach and hated the way things turned out.
My point is he doesn't get the benefit of calls because of his antics...
People want Barnes to get a tech, get tossed out and sometimes he seems to sit on his hands...but it's a thin line.
You don't want to be "that guy" !

Reactions: Voldog1998
I too think Bruce is a great basketball coach and hated the way things turned out.
My point is he doesn't get the benefit of calls because of his antics...
People want Barnes to get a tech, get tossed out and sometimes he seems to sit on his hands...but it's a thin line.
You don't want to be "that guy" !
Hope the anti-Pearl bias is strong and continues when we come calling. Something tells me it won't. He's not flying off the cuff just because he's pissed. He is, but IMO, he's trying to set the stage and exert influence over the crew we draw for our game, and I'd bet it works. One thing is for sure, if Auburn shoots anything close to what they did vs Bama, we're in for a long night.

Yep. Probably the most overlooked and underrated coach in the history of the school, at least major sports. He inherited an absolute mess and immediately turned it around.

Watch what will happen at the Auburn UT game. Auburn will commit 40 fouls but only 20 will be called. UT will commit 20 fouls and 28 will be called. Pearl likes to yell and scream but he is trying to get the edge in the next game.

Reactions: Kinger

VN Store

Back