Broken NIL Promises

Teezy

Josh Pate was speaking about several coaches around the country speaking on teams that are making promises and, knowingly manipulating contracts, to manipulate kids coming to their schools. So the kid signs the contract, comes to school and doesn’t get paid. Obviously this is an absolute nightmare situation to any school recorded doing this in the recruiting world. He used Jordan Addison as an example at USC. But he also said several schools are doing this. From what I’ve seen it doesn’t seem to be the case at TN. Are there any rumors or smoke this could be happening here? Also, just to clarify I don’t mind non guaranteed contracts as long as the kid knows exactly what he’s getting into.

Reactions: Volanta
good-lord-oh-my-god.gif

Josh Pate was speaking about several coaches around the country speaking on teams that are making promises and, knowingly manipulating contracts, to manipulate kids coming to their schools. So the kid signs the contract, comes to school and doesn’t get paid. Obviously this is an absolute nightmare situation to any school recorded doing this in the recruiting world. He used Jordan Addison as an example at USC. But he also said several schools are doing this. From what I’ve seen it doesn’t seem to be the case at TN. Are there any rumors or smoke this could be happening here? Also, just to clarify I don’t mind non guaranteed contracts as long as the kid knows exactly what he’s getting into.

"Coaches speaking about it" sounds a hell of a lot like sour grapes to me.

It will resolve itself quickly. The kids, parents, and representatives will get better at wording the NIL contracts to protect themselves. It will hurt the schools more than it hurts the athletes.

I'm glad to hear this news. Wait, don't put me before a firing squad just yet. It's my belief that our coaching staff are all straight up and bluntly honest with our recruit targets. It's my belief that our staff recruits the parents just as much as the sons they try to get here. It's my belief our staff stress, emphasize, practically demand recruits be as much if not more focused on personal and financial life after football; that this very audibly resonates with their parents and families. It's my belief that our staff demonstrate they aren't just flapping their lips and wagging their tongues when they stress these things. As a consequence, combined with our starting to win again, the UT is going to crush recruiting competition. As this NIL thing unfolds, and other schools engage in dishonesty, recruits are going to flock to the University of Truth, bypassing the other Universities of Alibis and Lies. So the posted NIL news is something I'm glad to hear about.
smiley-face-soldier.gif

I'm glad to hear this news. Wait, don't put me before a firing squad just yet. It's my belief that our coaching staff are all straight up and bluntly honest with our recruit targets. It's my belief that our staff recruits the parents just as much as the sons they try to get here. It's my belief our staff stress, emphasize, practically demand recruits be as much if not more focused on personal and financial life after football; that this very audibly resonates with their parents and families. It's my belief that our staff demonstrate they aren't just flapping their lips and wagging their tongues when they stress these things. As a consequence, combined with our starting to win again, the UT is going to crush recruiting competition. As this NIL thing unfolds, and other schools engage in dishonesty, recruits are going to flock to the University of Truth, bypassing the other Universities of Alibis and Lies. So the posted NIL news is something I'm glad to hear about.
smiley-face-soldier.gif
Haha I love the way you went about that answer. Yes, it does seem like we have been straight forward about all of this. But I am super curious to who the other schools are 🤔

So he's saying the coaches are seeing the NIL contracts?
Not sure exactly what he’s saying, but if a recruit or transfer did get screwed, I’d assume they wouldn’t be so quiet about it.

Edit: Also, some of the examples he was using sounded more towards transfers as well. Due to them transferring and being stuck there.

I normally would think that NIL will eventually swing into some balance and borders, but I now happen to think the NCAA knows their days are number when super conferences finish aligning and are just saying **** it at this point.

Baseless claims attributed to nameless coaches referencing non-specific situations. He's doing a lot of talking without saying anything.

Most of these ADs have significant legal department backing. The suggestion that schools, which really aren't even allowed in the NIL process, are knowingly manipulating contracts is more than a bit ridiculous. He needs to come with way more proof before I believe any of this.

From what I have heard, the stories you hear about a kid getting millions in an NIL deal is a bunch of bull. That most of these kids are not getting near the money that is being reported.

Someone went into detail explaining how the NIL deal for Quinn Ewers (to name a kid) isn't close to what is being reported.

I'm sorry that I can not explain it the way it was explained to me. I will only say that after hearing the details and how it truly works, it made a lot of sense.

The question is how many of these kids understand what's going on and how many don't for them to become angry at some point.

Last edited:
We are a 7-6 team. It is my belief that we must increase our win totals quickly otherwise this recruiting boom we are experiencing could really slow down and NIL would become less meaningful.

From what I have heard, the stories you hear about a kid getting millions in an NIL deal is a bunch of bull. That most of these kids are not getting near the money that is being reported.
The question is how many of these kids understand what's going on and how many don't for them to become angry at some point.
The one thing we shouldn't do is assume the lads (and their parents) are stupid.

Josh Pate doesn't quite do that, not quite. We shouldn't, either.

Reactions: GetYouSomeofThat
It will resolve itself quickly. The kids, parents, and representatives will get better at wording the NIL contracts to protect themselves. It will hurt the schools more than it hurts the athletes.
Exactly might even start asking for their money before they Steph foot on campus. Wouldn't even be surprised if these 5⭐ guys start asking for money just to visit.

Reactions: Orange Swagger
It is going to become an all out bidding war for these athletes..... I don't like it.

Do you like it in the free job market? I bet you do.

We've been watching these kids give up their bodies for decades while the NCAA got fat and happy over it while the athletes got nothing.

They deserve every single penny they can earn.

I'm going to guess the "broken promises" are in many cases misunderstandings regarding contract terms. Maybe in some situations the collectives are letting the players and their families operate on those mistaken understandings, thinking they can smooth it over after the fact. I could see that. Bit of ego and arrogance to that kind of thinking. But what I struggle to see are situations where collectives would be so stupid as to intentionally bait-and-switch players; you could only do that for so long before becoming untrustworthy in coaching and recruiting circles.

Reactions: GetYouSomeofThat
Josh is actually quite fair and measured in what he is saying if anyone cares to listen. He didn't point fingers at any particular school, he just said it's going to be a problem when some of these kids who thought they were getting guaranteed money find out that some of its conditional. Wouldn't surprise me at all, alot of these recruits and their parents are unsophisticated.

I'm curious how the state of Tennessee views these contracts. Could a nil agreement be acquired via a Freedom of information act request?

Reactions: Orange Swagger
T
Do you like it in the free job market? I bet you do.

We've been watching these kids give up their bodies for decades while the NCAA got fat and happy over it while the athletes got nothing.

They deserve every single penny they can earn.
The NCAA, coaches, the conferences, and the TV networks.

VN Store

Back