Bristol Gameday recommendations?

LOL. No thanks. Ive seen Something About Mary! Theres actually 4 of us coming, just none of us wanting to bother with loading up all thats needed for good tailgating

For some reason when I originally read your comment I thought it said someone wanted to share a ride.

Oh well

5 minute ABS.:)

I'll have to try it, it's hard to beat Central, Commissary , BBQ shop.

Its really good, I ate there about a year ago. I remember an article at one point rating it number one in 2014

For places to eat in Johnson city you can go to Cootie Browns, Mainstreet pizza, Scratch pizza, Hokiesmokie, and Mid city for the local spots. Beer wise: Yee-Haw brewery is really awesome in which they have about 8 beers on draft.

Reactions: 1 person
Its really good, I ate there about a year ago. I remember an article at one point rating it number one in 2014

For places to eat in Johnson city you can go to Cootie Browns, Mainstreet pizza, Scratch pizza, Hokiesmokie, and Mid city for the local spots. Beer wise: Yee-Haw brewery is really awesome in which they have about 8 beers on draft.

Firehouse BBQ is not bad in downtown JC, but not as good as Ridgewood.

There's a brewery that's walking distance from the track, maybe a 1/2 mile walk, with camping. It's called Holston Brewery. Good spot. Therevare numerous spots to eat and drink downtown Bristol and Johnson City. A word of caution: Bristol police don't play around, and you'd be better off parking on the TN side of State Street in Bristol if you head downtown. The Virgina police are considered more aggressive.

Flying in Friday night and heading straight for Firehouse BBQ. I know others love Ridgewood, but I'm a Firehouse fan through and through. I buy pints of the sauce when I go home at Christmas and then bring it back to South Carolina with me and freeze it.

Also hoping to find time to get to The Farmer's Daughter in Chuckey before we leave. Best fried chicken and cornbread EVER.

Flying in Friday night and heading straight for Firehouse BBQ. I know others love Ridgewood, but I'm a Firehouse fan through and through. I buy pints of the sauce when I go home at Christmas and then bring it back to South Carolina with me and freeze it.

Also hoping to find time to get to The Farmer's Daughter in Chuckey before we leave. Best fried chicken and cornbread EVER.

You want good fried chicken, Nick's Restaurant in Kingsport. No frills, but the chicken is amazing.

We are staying in Johnson City so it depending on traffic, we will probably try something there. Thanks for the ideas. Keep em coming..

If you're looking for something unusual, Frierburgs (not sure about the spelling) is a good German style restaraunt located in downtown JC. Personally I highly recommend it myself :)

If you're going to be drinking, keep in mind there will be vendors around the speedway grounds and on Earhart's campground right in front of the main entrance, so please don't risk driving. As if it's not already a horrible idea, 200k people is going to require patience regardless of your commute strategy. Also, as mentioned before, the Holston River Brewery is walking distance if you like craft beer, half mile up from the Stadium on Volunteer Parkway. A bit further is Mad Greek with excellent pizza and Greek cuisine. You've also got Boomershine's Pizza nearby the stadium on 394. All these places serve beer and all are good spots to eat and walk. But again, keep in mind, there will be vendors-a-plenty with food of all types.

If you've got a hot DD (the driving kind), some fine breweries have established around the area. In Bristol, you have the Bristol Brewery in downtown Bristol, who are all about their excellent craft beer, but they vendor their food. There's also Studio Brewery that has good stuff and a decent menu. If you want a harder proof drink and good food, 620 is solid Asian and sushi. Cootie Browns is also downtown and has an awesome menu selection. Machievelli's has excellent Italian. If you want French and coastal cuisine, Basq is boss. Eatz is also terrific and has killer BBQ Ribs and southern menu, but I'm not sure they serve alcohol.

Several have already mentioned restaurants in Johnson City. If you're going to be downtown there, I can't recommend Freiberg's German cuisine enough. The Label is similar cuisine to 620 in Bristol (same owner) and right across the street from the Yeehaw Brewery. Tupelo Honey resides in the old train station, also right there and also excellent. All these places serve good beer, especially Yeehaw. If anyone gets a craving for Indian food, Sahib rocks!

Oh, and yes, Ridgewood in Bluff City is just mind-blowing ridiculous pulled pork BBQ. Their sauce is legendary. But that place is going to be especially hard to get into. Probably still worth the long wait if you dare to brave it. lol...

For folks that are coming in a few days early, festivities are scheduled for downtown Bristol on State Street both Thursday and Friday evening for fans. Should be vendors around, but as said, there are plenty of restaurants on State Street and surrounding streets. I recommend Blackbird Bakery for all sweet tooth fixes. That place has amazing pastries.

Not to leave out Kingsport, but I'm sure someone here could do it better justice, as I'm not as familiar. I will mention The Chop House, as it is one of my favorite restaurants.

Below is a guide with maps for anything else anyone might inquire about. Have a great time in the TriCities.

Everything you need to know for the Battle at Bristol | WATE 6 On Your Side

Last edited:
Ridgewood BBQ is excellent, but it is not pulled pork. It is sliced BBQ. They smoke whole hams and slice it. You won't be disappointed.

Reactions: 2 people
Ridgewood BBQ is excellent, but it is not pulled pork. It is sliced BBQ. They smoke whole hams and slice it. You won't be disappointed.
Thanks for clarifying. You're right, technically it's sliced, but I suppose my mind always thinks of pulled pork when I'm wolfing that stuff down on a sandwich, as it's all just piled up in there, drowned in that glorious sauce. I fail to analyze how it specifically looks beyond how it tastes.

You should go up to the King College campus.
They have a reputation for a bevy of coeds sporting very loose morals.
You should easily score. Happy hunting.

VN Store

Back