Brisket

My advice is next time do a whole brisket. The flat is great, but so is the point....choosing the brisket matters a lot. The closer the point and flat are in thickness, the more evenly it will cook. Also, it should have some bend to it when you hold it on one end and wiggle it. If it's stiff, walk away. Not worth the $70 or whatever it is.

And while we're asking for advice, why does the point of my brisket fall apart when I slice it? I'm almost positive I'm cutting it right. I've followed instructions in youtube videos. It's almost like my brisket is too juicy to have structure. It tastes amazing but the presentation is not so great.
Turn it 180 degrees. If that ain’t doing it you’re smoking it too long. Got any pics?

I put the point on top. I like butcher paper, retains the better bark. When the point hits like 190-195, cube it up and toss it in a pan with some sauce, honey, and more rub, then return it to the grill. When the flat temp stops increasing (somewhere around 200-205), take it off and let it rest in a well insulated place. Cook the burnt ends until they brown to your liking while the flat rests. You won't really need to rest them.

@n_huffhines : I think it's just the fat content of the point that often makes it difficult to neatly slice. Just another reason to go burnt ends.

When you do this method and cube the point, do you make the cut to separate the point and the flat before you start cooking it or when it reaches 190 degrees? Seems like the flat would lose all it's juiciness if you wait until 190 degrees to cut it in 2.

When you do this method and cube the point, do you make the cut to separate the point and the flat before you start cooking it or when it reaches 190 degrees? Seems like the flat would lose all it's juiciness if you wait until 190 degrees to cut it in 2.
I like to separate the two before, that way the meat is more uniform in thickness

Reactions: n_huffhines
What is your method? What was the internal temp you pulled it out at? Did you let it rest a long time? I do it for at least 90 minutes in a cooler.

I'm not saying this is the way to cook it, but I have done it this way and it's sort of a cheat to make sure you don't mess it up (but it's also not the best way to do it)....you can leave the fat on the bottom and trim it after the fact, so it sort of serves as insulation (but that means you lose about 1/3 of the bark) and another cheat is to put it in a large turkey oven bag with apple cider vinegar in it (do this about 1/3 of the way through the cook and then pull it out of there for the last hour or two so you have good bark).

My method for brisket or butt? I haven't done brisket - just heard about the difficulties and that's why I asked why it's so difficult.

I've done plenty of butts and never had a problem other than the stall being frustrating.

My method for brisket or butt? I haven't done brisket - just heard about the difficulties and that's why I asked why it's so difficult.

I've done plenty of butts and never had a problem other than the stall being frustrating.

I was asking about brisket.

I've got my butts dialed in. They are pretty easy but like you say, the stall sucks. I put it in a disposable pan with foil on indirect heat and crank that **** up. It'll get up to like 190 internal, but it's a fake 190. Pull off the foil and poke a few holes on the sides of the pan so it's not sitting in an inch of juice, and it drops to 170. You end up with a nice bark by the time it gets to 203. Turns out amazing every time.

So, I'm gonna smoke a brisket. Here's my general plan and concerns:

This is my first time smoking a brisket.
Mustard, kosher salt, cracked pepper, and garlic powder rub.
The brisket is 5 inches longer than my smoker, 19 vs 14 inches.
So I figger I'll separate the point from the flat and put each on its own shelf in the smoker.
So on which shelf does which go?
Stop the wood chips and wrap at 170-175 degrees. Foil or paper?
Remove from smoker at 205 degrees.
Put in a cooler for hour and a half.
Eat it!!!

Comments and suggestions appreciated.
This is late, but ditto on above reply. I put my point on top as well. Ditto on doing the candy cubes as well. Cooler resting is optional. Some will say you have to. But if I did it right for 10 hours, I ain't waiting another 2 or 3. I never have rested mine in a cooler. If you hit 205, it's pull apart tender straight off the rack. But, I do let sit for 10-15 minutes before slicing. I've used foil, as well as maybe parchment paper as a butcher paper substitute. THe paper wraps do finish the bark a little better. Another take is pulled brisket instead of sliced. I've had pulled brisket at Sonny's that was spot on , and the best thing they serveed.

Reactions: Danl

Not overly diffcult. Just hit temp regardless of smoke time. You can run it at 350ish for 4-6 hours, or 225 for 10.5 hours. Just wrap when it stalls. For me has always been 165-175. Wrap it and take to 205 and you're done.

Reactions: volinbham

Next time you do a butt, finish your rub off with a slightly moderate dusting of ground nutmeg before dropping in smoker. Delish.

Reactions: volinbham
My briskets on the green egg always are the truth. Don't overthink or get all cute with the rub. Get a butcher cut 10-12 lbs. Take off the fat you can see won't benefit the cook. I just use a dry rub and olive oil. I go fat side down. Cook about 220 and don't mess with it during the cook! After 10 or so hours I check the internal temp, pull it wrap in foil for 30 or so minutes with some beef broth placed in a cooler. Cut from the flat usually against the grain. Money. Simple is the way.

My briskets on the green egg always are the truth. Don't overthink or get all cute with the rub. Get a butcher cut 10-12 lbs. Take off the fat you can see won't benefit the cook. I just use a dry rub and olive oil. I go fat side down. Cook about 220 and don't mess with it during the cook! After 10 or so hours I check the internal temp, pull it wrap in foil for 30 or so minutes with some beef broth placed in a cooler. Cut from the flat usually against the grain. Money. Simple is the way.
BGE's are fantastic.

Reactions: bignewt
I've never much liked most brisket I've eaten - not enough taste. I would assume that is due to the spice rub being not what I like or not being there at all. I'm from Texas, so I have a different taste I'm used to. I have an electric smoker and a Weber bullet. I'm eventually going to try to smoke something... right now, my project is making my own wings... since most wings at restaurants around here taste like butt.

Gonna do a small one tomorrow with my buddies rib recipe. I have ribs and a Boston butt for backup in case it's not good 🤣

Reactions: UT_Dutchman
I've never much liked most brisket I've eaten - not enough taste. I would assume that is due to the spice rub being not what I like or not being there at all. I'm from Texas, so I have a different taste I'm used to. I have an electric smoker and a Weber bullet. I'm eventually going to try to smoke something... right now, my project is making my own wings... since most wings at restaurants around here taste like butt.
Dry your wings on a rack in the fridge overnight and dust with arrowroot powder and rub of choice. When they cook, the oil from the skin will crisp the powder similar to frying.

Dry your wings on a rack in the fridge overnight and dust with arrowroot powder and rub of choice. When they cook, the oil from the skin will crisp the powder similar to frying.
Interesting. I have always used baking powder and I've been pleased with the crispiness. Can you compare the two?

Wings ain’t any good without breading IMHO, which is the main reason I don’t like many wings around here. I found a good recipe and they tasted great.

Attachments

• D589385C-0B3B-48FB-AF0C-863EBA3D93E5.jpeg
    D589385C-0B3B-48FB-AF0C-863EBA3D93E5.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 6

VN Store

Back