Brian Maurer Taking First Snaps Under Center

Mauer was recruited by Helton not Chaney and probably not Weike.

Oklahoma's offensive lines during thier great running game period was during the time of unlimited scholarships. Oklahoma would recruit the big farm boys. Feed them & strenghten them. Always had a great group behind the next. With limited scholarships, you cant stockpile players to the same extent.

NEBRASKA!!
I remember Nebraska as the Road Grader U. Like in 97 vs Tennessee. Okla too; but Nebraska had them big home boys on roids bigtime. For a long time.

Reactions: 82_VOL_83
As to the staff knowing or not knowing... I think they are thorough enough to see a guy doesn't take snaps under center. I expect it's easier to learn to take snaps under center than 3-5' back. Likely decided "yeah, all the positive things considered, this is a little negative to have to deal with".

I can't! I moved to Kansas City, MO. I wish I could go. I will be watching it online somewhere.
You really seriously think Maurer is gonna take the job, tho?

Congrats! I heard KC was a sneaky fun city.
Yeah same here, I'll have to come here and feed into an online link someone posts.

Yeah, I legit think Maurer is our guy. No doubts. He dials in more as more pressure is applied. JG is a veteran and hard worker. Kid knows how to practice the right way, so Maurer will not match him practice as a true freshman....but the game..🤙

You'll see.

If he starts by mid season it’ll be because JG is injured and done for the year.......and we’ll be effed.
Your making your bait too obvious KB. Lol we all know that freshmen are balling out all over college football. Look at Clemson. You don’t have to be hurt to be replaced.

don't disagree with that. but just like that scenario, it wasn't the plan to have him start. it wasn't the plan even when JQ went down. he and helton and stuart all split reps iirc. until ultimatley peyton won out...i think helton got hurt too? long time ago....

anyway...you're right....but i still don't assume that this year is anything more than a RS development year for BM.
Yes, Helton got hurt at Miss. State. I lived in the area at the time and went to the game. Peyton came in and that was the beginning of the Manning era. Worst homer officiated game I've ever seen. Everytime we did something good they called holding and we also had a couple of ground caused fumbles that were ruled fumbles. They threw it to the tight end in the end zone right near the end to beat us. The play before our safety got hit hard after the whistle. No call on that one. Should have been a 15 yard personal foul.

Perhaps, but Oklahoma didn't seem to have trouble getting linemen during their triple option era, and it wasn't run in the NFL then either. Someone should look into how many linemen from OK made it to the big league from those days. Someone besides me that is.

The NFL has changed so much since then any data you pull wouldn’t be relevant to today’s players and game. GA Tech is the only P5 program running a triple option and their recruiting reflects it. Compare their recruiting rankings and offensive players drafted to Stanford since they started running the triple option. Reason I use Stanford is they are both P5 schools with high academic restrictions in 2 of the top 4 recruiting states.

Reactions: DiderotsGhost
Odd thing for him to say.
It was rare but he definitely did take snaps from under center. Below is a link to his Sr season film. 1:07 mark and 5:25 mark. (Far as I got) but both under center.
Spoiler- he had zero issues being snapped the ball up close.
Brian Maurer, Tennessee, Pro-Style Quarterback
Sounds like somebody is pulling a Pearl. Or, a simple misunderstanding.

VN Store

Back