Brian Darden

Clockwork Orange

I keep seeing his name as a huge, huge bust and being compared to Bryce Brown, as Brian Darden was also the #1 recruiting prospect and played running back.

I really don't remember him playing at all. Can anyone give me some info on him, like when he played... etc?

I keep seeing his name as a huge, huge bust and being compared to Bryce Brown, as Brian Darden was also the #1 recruiting prospect and played running back.

I really don't remember him playing at all. Can anyone give me some info on him, like when he played... etc?

I believe Darden was recruited in '95. One of top RB's in nation and best player from Mississppi that year. Missed the '95 season due to ACT score by one point, enrolled in Jan. '96 and he suffers broken bones in both wrists at two different times. Suspended for '97 Citrus Bowl (Northwestern). I believe he had like 20 yds total for his Career.

In 1997, he had time to be more "mature" and had done well overall and was expected to be a possible starter for that season.

Well, that didn't happen and Jamal stepped in by game 4 after "running back by committee" and the rest is History.

Class of 96 recruiting class. Played defensive back at Jackson State after two injury-filled years at UT.

Darden was a bust. Best i can remember, he was a Highly touted RB from mississippi. I dont remember the exact year he signed but, i believe it was early to mid 90's. That is a name that I have not heard in a long time. I seem to remember him catching a TD pass, in the front corner of the end zone during some mop up duty in his freshman year. Not sure what ever happened to him after that. Pretty sure he wasn't on campus for more than 2 years, Like I said, don't remember much besides that. I think he was #3.

That's an interesting history lesson but not one that makes me worry about Brown.

Isn't that the dude that ran his mouth about how good he was and Al Wilson laid his ass out in practice and maybe said something not so nice to him about it?

Reactions: 1 person
I thought Mark Levine was the guy that started out the 97 season as the main tailback?

He was. Because "Jamal Lewis didn't know his blocks."

Amazing that he was able to learn them so well that he started the remainder of the year.........the very week after we lost to Florida.

I remember this guy, I had high expectations for him and he was a real bust. Nilo Silvan anyone? Darden Was class of 1996.
http://www.geocities.com/Colosseum/Midfield/4656/96vols.html

Man that list brings back memories. Phil could recruit at one time.
It is interesting that many of the highly touted prospects saw very little action during their UT careers.

I guess some simply aren't as good as they were made out to be.
I hope that the big name guys in this years class (Jackson, Brown, Oku etc...) are as good as billed.

Darden didn't live up to hype at all. Injuries had alot to do with it.

Brown will see the field and get is shot early. Much like Lewis. Brown was #1 recruit in the country for a reason. We haven't seen many backs like him come through here. I know he hasn't played a down yet. But I look for him to be a Jamal Lewis or Chuck Webb type back for us.

Remember the last #1 recruit we got. I think it was a guy named Peyton. That went pretty well.

Darden didn't live up to hype at all. Injuries had alot to do with it.

Brown will see the field and get is shot early. Much like Lewis. Brown was #1 recruit in the country for a reason. We haven't seen many backs like him come through here. I know he hasn't played a down yet. But I look for him to be a Jamal Lewis or Chuck Webb type back for us.

Remember the last #1 recruit we got. I think it was a guy named Peyton. That went pretty well.
sounds familiar... let me google that. :)

Peyton wasn't the #1 recruit. IIRC he wasn't even th #1 qb recruit out of Mississippi...a guy named Booty was.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

Peyton wasn't the #1 recruit. IIRC he wasn't even th #1 qb recruit out of Mississippi...a guy named Booty was.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

Peyton wasn't from Mississippi. New Orleans La.

I thought he was the #1 recruit. Booty was from La to. Shrevport I believe.

What happened to the "20 Post" rule?

Germans or not some people don't live on here night and day. When they do post they have to listen to smartass people make smartass remarks.

anybody take a look at those Bios from that geocities link?

I had no clue that the Jets employed a DE by the name of MaShaundra.

Isn't that the dude that ran his mouth about how good he was and Al Wilson laid his ass out in practice and maybe said something not so nice to him about it?
Yes... Al allegedly also looked at the coaches and asked, "And you gave this guy a scholarship?"

I remember asking Brian Darden once, why he changed jersey #s, (he went from # 8 to #2, or #2 to #8, I can't remember) and he said, "Because I can." That's the only conversation I ever had with him.

VN Store

Back