Breaking: Pons returning to Tennessee

Doesn’t sound like he intends to go that route, but he was undecided just a few hours ago according to reports. I definitely hope he sticks but I’ll breathe a little easier after the 17th.
I can't fathom his tweet if he was undecided.

Reactions: PulaskiVolFan
I can't fathom his tweet if he was undecided.
Just going on what was reported this afternoon (just before his tweet).

Sounds like he’s made up his mind. My point was, it seemed to be a decision he was struggling with until the end. Hopefully he made his decision and sticks with it. That certainly seems to be the case based on his tweet.

His decision should enhance his draft position next year. Great news for the team.

I think since he actually announced it on his Twitter he's not going to be entering his name here in two weeks. He could have just let the press do its thing announcing him coming back and then entered the draft in two weeks.

Would be so BVS for this to be a fake out. Really want Pons on the wing. The Basketvols will be amazing this year.

I can't remember a Vol team this loaded. Barnes has a tough task ahead of him managing his rotation.

I think VB runs away with the starting PG spot and JJJ solidifies the 2 but is pushed hard by Springer. Pons and Keon at the 3. The 4 and 5 spot are going to be interesting. Does Anosike adjust quickly to SEC speed and does Uros make a big year 2 jump? The rotation there could be really good, too.

Reactions: JelloPuddinPup
I can't remember a Vol team this loaded. Barnes has a tough task ahead of him managing his rotation.

I think VB runs away with the starting PG spot and JJJ solidifies the 2 but is pushed hard by Springer. Pons and Keon at the 3. The 4 and 5 spot are going to be interesting. Does Anosike adjust quickly to SEC speed and does Uros make a big year 2 jump? The rotation there could be really good, too.

This is indeed the deepest a UT basketball team has ever been. Will it be the best? Who knows. The 2018 team was pretty stout, but that was mainly because we had an incredible Top 6. After that we had little depth. This year we'll have more than 6 reliable players. The key is how do they all mesh together and which newcomers pick up Barnes' philosophy the quickest.

It's going to be weird seeing so many key players from last year's team take a backseat, but right now if I had to take a guess on the starting 5 it would be:

-Victor Bailey (PG)
-Josiah Jordan James (SG)
-Keon Johnson (SG)
-John Fulkerson (PF)
-Yves Pons (PF)

Weird to think we'll have guys like Springer, Vescovi, Anosike, and Walker Jr. coming off the bench. So. Much. Talent.

Barnes can go Big or Small this year without losing any talent on the court. Pons has expanded his game and can still crash and clean up around the rim. JMO
Big : Smaller :
Pons. Pons
Fulkerson Fulkerson
Anosike. James
James. Johnson
Johnson. Bailey
Depth is amazing this year!

Reactions: Volfan1000
This is indeed the deepest a UT basketball team has ever been. Will it be the best? Who knows. The 2018 team was pretty stout, but that was mainly because we had an incredible Top 6. After that we had little depth. This year we'll have more than 6 reliable players. The key is how do they all mesh together and which newcomers pick up Barnes' philosophy the quickest.

It's going to be weird seeing so many key players from last year's team take a backseat, but right now if I had to take a guess on the starting 5 it would be:

-Victor Bailey (PG)
-Keon Johnson (SG)
-John Fulkerson (PF)
-Yves Pons (PF)

Weird to think we'll have guys like Springer, Vescovi, Anosike, and Walker Jr. coming off the bench. So. Much. Talent.
Every Bailey reference sticks 1000 pins in Bruin’s brain. 😏

-Victor Bailey (PG)
-Keon Johnson (SG)
-John Fulkerson (PF)
-Yves Pons (PF)

Vescovi, to me, is just way too reckless for CRB to give extensive minutes to if there is another option. I think he will improve a lot in that area, though. In the limited amounts I've seen VB he looks like diet John Wall. Elite speed, good shooter and good distributer. Vescovi could be an excellent #2 PG to give us a spark off the bench.

VN Store

Back