Breaking news: We'll be good again.... eventually

Tennessee football will eventually be on top again. This is coming from someone that was only 2 when we won our last natty. I've only seen failure. But this fanbase is too big and passionate to be losing this long. IDK if this is the coach to do it, but we will see Tennessee on top again before we leave this earth. YES, I'm still drunk from ST Patties day. Go VOLS.
Two weeks probation for this lapse in judgement. Feel free to self impose.

Tennessee football will eventually be on top again. This is coming from someone that was only 2 when we won our last natty. I've only seen failure. But this fanbase is too big and passionate to be losing this long. IDK if this is the coach to do it, but we will see Tennessee on top again before we leave this earth. YES, I'm still drunk from ST Patties day. Go VOLS.
Drunk or not...an accurate assessment

Minnesota Gophers last National Championship 1960
Minnesota Vikings first season 1961

Tennessee Volunteers last National Championship 1998
Houston Oilers officially become the Tennessee Titans and moved into Nissan Stadium in 1999

Two once proud college football programs were never the same.
Coincidence?
Anyone else have the twilight zone series theme start playing in their heads while reading this post?

Still, I've watched UT football for going on 57 years now. I've seen us in pretty much every situation and hire/fire several coaches. In all that time, I've seen one natty...one. Hell, I've only seen SEVEN SEC championships in my lifetime! It's been 23 years since UT last won one. I think our last SEC title is older than a good number of posters on this board.

When I see some of these folks talking about UT returning to the top in the conference, I have to ask just what position do they think UT has occupied historically? Silver lining I suppose would be that since UT winning championships is as rare as hen's teeth, it makes them all the sweeter. Am I jaded? Suppose so, but when you've lived it for so long, you kinda see it for what it is and don't allow your expectations to run wild with this program.

I met an old Alabama fan recently in Lowe’s. He has a Bama cap on and I had a Vol cap on. He was probably 80 years old but really sharp. He wasn’t obnoxious and neither was I. We had a great discussion. He said he really wanted the Vols to be good again because it’s so much more fun that way. He knew a lot about Bama/Vols history. I have a family member who was a long time coach at UA and he certainly remembered him. So we had common ground. But the most interesting thing he said was how ridiculous it is to get so discouraged by being down a few years. He remembered that Bama was in the same boat we are in in the 90’s and some Bama fans were wondering if they’d ever be back. I’ve followed the Vols for 55 years myself. We will be back. It’s a matter of history. But if it soothes the victim pain within you keep believing we won’t. I guess it’s up to the individual. Of course there’s some who say it’s far worse this time ...yada yada...bright side... we have a strong basketball/baseball/ etc program and I’m excited about the golf team! 😃😃

Reactions: BlackCreekVol
Minnesota Gophers last National Championship 1960
Minnesota Vikings first season 1961

Tennessee Volunteers last National Championship 1998
Houston Oilers officially become the Tennessee Titans and moved into Nissan Stadium in 1999

Two once proud college football programs were never the same.
Coincidence?

Parity in the NFL my friend. Pruitt and company tried to even it out on the college level. Just weren't able to do so!

Wait, I'm confused, is this year "our year" or next year?

Or is it just "soon"?
you know the drill. It’s a five year rebuild, but if we aren’t beating the evil axis powers by year 3, we are firing the staff and starting over. This, my bearded friend, is the Tennessee way.

you know the drill. It’s a five year rebuild, but if we aren’t beating the evil axis powers by year 3, we are firing the staff and starting over. This, my bearded friend, is the Tennessee way.
Anyone thinking UT is gonna light it up this year is still trying to force that square peg into the round hole. We are facing yet another roster transformation.

At least 5 and perhaps more when the NCAA makes an example out of one of their favorite whipping boys.

Reactions: BigOrangeTrain
I agree with his post and I expect to see it in my lifetime. By the way, I am 82.

I expect to see it soon, too. But opinions aren't "breaking news." It's like discussion board click bait. Just post your opinions in existing threads, is what I'm saying. And save the breaking news headlines for when something real is happening and you're letting us know.

Anyone thinking UT is gonna light it up this year is still trying to force that square peg into the round hole. We are facing yet another roster transformation.

At least 5 and perhaps more when the NCAA makes an example out of one of their favorite whipping boys.

Good post. I think some VN fans think JH is gonna take this offense from anemic to high flying this season. Those fans are likely gonna be vastly disappointed.

I expect to see it soon, too. But opinions aren't "breaking news." It's like discussion board click bait. Just post your opinions in existing threads, is what I'm saying. And save the breaking news headlines for when something real is happening and you're letting us know.
Just replying to the post, which is appropriate.

Sobered up yet? 🤣

Good post. I think some VN fans think JH is gonna take this offense from anemic to high flying this season. Those fans are likely gonna be vastly disappointed.
Most fans I know have no expectations whatsoever. I myself don’t even care anymore when they lose. It’s as common as breathing now.

I hate to tell you this and I love your optimism but Tennessee football is done. Everybody is paying players now except us because we turned ourselves in. The NCAA has been letting things slide since Saban came to Alabama.

Reactions: iluvsmesumdooley

I don't see how Tennessee could be described as an NCAA whipping boy. We have never had a postseason ban in either football or basketball. That might be about to change, but at least as of this moment, that puts us in exclusive company in the SEC. Alabama, Auburn, Georgia, Kentucky, and Florida can't make such a claim.

tenor.gif

I hate to tell you this and I love your optimism but Tennessee football is done. Everybody is paying players now except us because we turned ourselves in. The NCAA has been letting things slide since Saban came to Alabama.
Mark Emmert is Nicky’s cutie pie.

I met an old Alabama fan recently in Lowe’s. He has a Bama cap on and I had a Vol cap on. He was probably 80 years old but really sharp. He wasn’t obnoxious and neither was I. We had a great discussion. He said he really wanted the Vols to be good again because it’s so much more fun that way. He knew a lot about Bama/Vols history. I have a family member who was a long time coach at UA and he certainly remembered him. So we had common ground. But the most interesting thing he said was how ridiculous it is to get so discouraged by being down a few years. He remembered that Bama was in the same boat we are in in the 90’s and some Bama fans were wondering if they’d ever be back. I’ve followed the Vols for 55 years myself. We will be back. It’s a matter of history. But if it soothes the victim pain within you keep believing we won’t. I guess it’s up to the individual. Of course there’s some who say it’s far worse this time ...yada yada...bright side... we have a strong basketball/baseball/ etc program and I’m excited about the golf team! 😃😃
Same boat??? Lol!!!! Bammers will NEVER know the suffering we have endured. They have never been close to sinking as low as us over the stretch we have sucked. Bama in the 90s still won two SEC titles and a natty.

That’s why I think we need to leave the conference. If you don’t play dirty, you’re screwed.

Reactions: Flipdaddy
Same boat??? Lol!!!! Bammers will NEVER know the suffering we have endured. They have never been close to sinking as low as us over the stretch we have sucked. Bama in the 90s still won two SEC titles and a natty.
And you say this as A Vol Fan??? 😂😂😂 Woe is me much??? It’s ok dooley....everything will be ok. Just quoting what he said....I bet it seemed pretty hopeless for him (which is utterly ridiculous over football) going through all that stuff in the 90’s too.

Don't think so, but here's to it.

VN Store

Back