Brandon Davis transferring

You consistently don't understand how the scholarship roster works. Let me explain it again.

The players that had an athletic scholarship last year remain on scholarship until they graduate, leave the program or are dismissed. So, yes, until his dismissal, Gooden had a spot. It didn't have to come from anyone.

To add a new player, be it a freshman, a transfer or any other player, someone from last year's 85 has to leave. Here's the progression of how the numbers worked out in real time from the end of the season to the present:

-8 scholarship seniors graduated. Jordan Murphy, Jacquez Jones, Jerrod Means, Malik Gray, Ryan Johnson, Marcus Tatum, Will Ignont, Shannon Reid, Joe Doyle and Terrell Bailey transferred. Jeremy Banks was dismissed last fall and was removed from the squad list submitted to the NCAA before spring practice. That's 19 departures.

So at that point, you're at 66.

- Prior to the spring, they added Cade Mays and Velus Jones as scholarship transfers. Both were on the squad list for spring practice, so now we're at 68.

- Cooper Mays, Harrison Bailey, Jimmy Holiday and Dominic Bailey were early enrolles and were on the squad list for spring practice, so now we're at 72.

- This month, Tim Jordan and Emmitt Gooden were dismissed. Brandon Davis announced his transfer today. So that's back down to 69.

- Tennessee signed 23 in the 2021 recruiting class. As I mentioned, four already enrolled. That means you have 19 more scholarship players, most of whom are enrolled in summer online classes and working out on campus, that you're obligated to have spots for August 1st. That's 88 before Banks, 89 if you're including him.

- Two of the walk-ons that were placed on one-year scholarships last fall were informed at the end of spring semester that they weren't being renewed, which is allowed. I'm not at liberty to say who they are. That's 86 without Banks, 87 with him.

You can list guys that you think are "probable" to leave and open up those last two spots, but I know for a fact two of the guys you listed will be on the team this fall. I know the other two aren't planning on going anywhere. But somewhere on the roster, two guys have to move on to have the ability to add Banks and/or not have to defer a member of the signing class to next year.

Regarding your last bullet above, some posters in a James Banks thread indicated that Kenney Solomon, Kwauze Garland, and Isaiah Montgomery were guaranteed scholarships for multiple years since they were awarded a scholarship in their first year at UT. Is that not the case per your understanding?

@Halph66
@cHiZzLeVOL

Reactions: Halph66
Regarding your last bullet above, some posters in a James Banks thread indicated that Kenney Solomon, Kwauze Garland, and Isaiah Montgomery were guaranteed scholarships for multiple years since they were awarded a scholarship in their first year at UT. Is that not the case per your understanding?

@Halph66
@cHiZzLeVOL

I can't say specifically who is and isn't on scholarship going forward among the walk-ons. They treat that as a state secret to prevent other schools from reaching out and I'll respect that.

From a rules standpoint, if a student-athlete enrolls at your institution without athletics aid and begins classes without athletics aid, any aid that is then awarded is not automatically renewed. In fact, the NCAA considers it surplus and it's specifically seen as for one year (or even semester) only. If that player's scholarship is renewed and is in his first year in the program when he first receives athletics aid, then he counts against the 25 "Initial Counters" for the next year. If he's in his second or later year in the program, he does not become an initial counter at any point. Because of adding the two scholarship transfers, UT doesn't have room to count any additional initial counters in 2020-21, so draw your own conclusions on what that means for the guys you listed.

You consistently don't understand how the scholarship roster works. Let me explain it again.

The players that had an athletic scholarship last year remain on scholarship until they graduate, leave the program or are dismissed. So, yes, until his dismissal, Gooden had a spot. It didn't have to come from anyone.

To add a new player, be it a freshman, a transfer or any other player, someone from last year's 85 has to leave. Here's the progression of how the numbers worked out in real time from the end of the season to the present:

-8 scholarship seniors graduated. Jordan Murphy, Jacquez Jones, Jerrod Means, Malik Gray, Ryan Johnson, Marcus Tatum, Will Ignont, Shannon Reid, Joe Doyle and Terrell Bailey transferred. Jeremy Banks was dismissed last fall and was removed from the squad list submitted to the NCAA before spring practice. That's 19 departures.

So at that point, you're at 66.

- Prior to the spring, they added Cade Mays and Velus Jones as scholarship transfers. Both were on the squad list for spring practice, so now we're at 68.

- Cooper Mays, Harrison Bailey, Jimmy Holiday and Dominic Bailey were early enrolles and were on the squad list for spring practice, so now we're at 72.

- This month, Tim Jordan and Emmitt Gooden were dismissed. Brandon Davis announced his transfer today. So that's back down to 69.

- Tennessee signed 23 in the 2021 recruiting class. As I mentioned, four already enrolled. That means you have 19 more scholarship players, most of whom are enrolled in summer online classes and working out on campus, that you're obligated to have spots for August 1st. That's 88 before Banks, 89 if you're including him.

- Two of the walk-ons that were placed on one-year scholarships last fall were informed at the end of spring semester that they weren't being renewed, which is allowed. I'm not at liberty to say who they are. That's 86 without Banks, 87 with him.

You can list guys that you think are "probable" to leave and open up those last two spots, but I know for a fact two of the guys you listed will be on the team this fall. I know the other two aren't planning on going anywhere. But somewhere on the roster, two guys have to move on to have the ability to add Banks and/or not have to defer a member of the signing class to next year.
Atta boy, DO the math!

Just read in the Basilio website that UT is 5 over the limit. 3 walk-ons were awarded schollies but may have them taken back, thus leaving UT at 2 over the limit.

I don't like the idea of taking back schollies awarded to walk-ons. Sounds like bad business.

Just read in the Basilio website that UT is 5 over the limit. 3 walk-ons were awarded schollies but may have them taken back, thus leaving UT at 2 over the limit.

I don't like the idea of taking back schollies awarded to walk-ons. Sounds like bad business.
I don't really like it either, and correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that they recipient is aware that it is for one year at a time. It gives that player free tuition for a year, so its definitely a benefit to them and their family. I assume it happens all of the time at Power 5 schools.

I don't really like it either, and correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that they recipient is aware that it is for one year at a time. It gives that player free tuition for a year, so its definitely a benefit to them and their family. I assume it happens all of the time at Power 5 schools.
I don’t recall them ever being handed out to freshmen. We hear of an Alex Ellis or Jacob Gilliam or a ST player being given one right before their senior season and it’s a festive PR fest with YouTube videos and crying mama’s. That’s why I don’t buy this one year shizz.

I don’t recall them ever being handed out to freshmen. We hear of an Alex Ellis or Jacob Gilliam or a ST player being given one right before their senior season and it’s a festive PR fest with YouTube videos and crying mama’s. That’s why I don’t buy this one year shizz.
I think it's just that a one year scholarship. Coach finds himself with some openings, what would you do?

Much better PR to give it to a walk on senior who has busted his butt for three/four years as a reward. No blowback on him "losing" the scholarship since he is completing his career. I dont read into that the scholarship has to be renewed. And by that point they have proven themself with grades, performance, team atmosphere, and is a much safer bet than a young kid. Added bonus of graduating another scholarship player too.

I think it's just that a one year scholarship. Coach finds himself with some openings, what would you do?

Much better PR to give it to a walk on senior who has busted his butt for three/four years as a reward. No blowback on him "losing" the scholarship since he is completing his career. I dont read into that the scholarship has to be renewed. And by that point they have proven themself with grades, performance, team atmosphere, and is a much safer bet than a young kid. Added bonus of graduating another scholarship player too.
There were walk on seniors and juniors on the roster last season...how about them if it’s a one-off scholarship?

At this point, players that sit out this year for COVID fears keep their scholarships, but only retain the year of eligibility if they haven't previously redshirted (for any reason). I have no idea if that will change, but there does not seem to be momentum for granting anything beyond the standard redshirt.
thank you

3* project that didn’t pan out. Buried on the depth chart. Had his chance but now moving on. Good luck to him.

When you want to know what success looks like on the road to getting back to where TN wants to be.......this is what is included. An equitable split from someone not competing to start....to make room for someone who can.

Reactions: tennesseeduke
3* project that didn’t pan out. Buried on the depth chart. Had his chance but now moving on. Good luck to him.
His next best offer was Colorado State and then the gap between them and the next group of offers was pretty large. Best of luck to him in his future endeavors. I hope he finds success both on and off the field.

VN Store

Back