Brady Hoke joining TN staff-confirmed

Excellent hire!

Sad we're losing Stripling as a D-line coach, but happy he's moving into another role. Hoke should be a great replacement. Hoke coached D-line several years before he became a Head Coach. He was a great recruiter. He was also a very good head coach at Ball State and San Diego State. Hoke improved the defense significantly as HC of Michigan during his first couple of years.

Hoke's real failure at Michigan was a lack of offensive identity and a lack of development and recruiting on the offensive side of the ball. I'd compare him to Muschamp at Florida in this regard. Hoke can coach; just never was good at the offensive side of the equation as Head Coach.

Reactions: 12 people
Butch took over a team in the dumps and has it in bowls every year in the sec - the toughest conference. If you don't micro-analyze every little thing most people would say he's doing a good job.

If you just over look those micro loses to less talented teams, he's doing a hell of a job.

That and PR isn't his strong suit either

Reactions: 3 people
Hate to say it....nothing Butch does excites me. Even this, which I truly believe is an upgrade, makes me question Hokes thinking. I cannot imagine anyone worthwhile coming to work for CBJ. Admittedly that's about as Nega as it gets, and Butch Jones caused it.

Just goes to show you that the predictions of him being fired next year and true reality is worlds apart.

Reactions: 12 people
Here's my 2 cents.....

Good position coach. Has name recognition. He was way in over his head at Michigan. Only had 2 really good years as head coach (his last at Ball State and first one at Michigan) Has recruited well in the past but will he put in the hours needed to recruit effectively in the future? Can a guy that lived the caviar lifestyle go back to doing the grunt work on the recruiting trail?

So if our defense looks bad next season, who is everyone going to blame? Hoke because he's new? Or Shoop? Lol

Good hire. Now we will not have to go far when we fire our mediocre coach and replace him with another one just like him. Tennessee will never "Rise to the Top" until the Admin decides to go and hire/pay a great coach. No hope there, the Admin cannot even make the obvious hire for AD. Too much politics and not enough common sense in Knoxville.

Reactions: 3 people
Here's my 2 cents.....

Good position coach. Has name recognition. He was way in over his head at Michigan. Only had 2 really good years as head coach (his last at Ball State and first one at Michigan) Has recruited well in the past but will he put in the hours needed to recruit effectively in the future? Can a guy that lived the caviar lifestyle go back to doing the grunt work on the recruiting trail?

You forget his job is to coach football, the grind on the recruiting trail has got to be better than the grind regular people put up with.

Release the Beast!

We have the talent on DL so this SHOULD be a good hire. Whether you like Butch or not, he's made some good moves, theoretically.

Reactions: 2 people
Already know the first words Hoke will say in his press conference will be, "Butch and I have been friends for years..." lol

I like this part:

"Hoke is widely viewed as an outstanding recruiter and developer of top-level defensive talent, particularly along the front. Several of Hoke’s former signees were the nucleus of the Jim Harbaugh-coached Michigan squad that spent the 2016 season ranked in the top 10 almost wire-to-wire."

Reactions: 6 people
Seems like a good hire, hopefully he can coach positions better than being a HC or DC. We'll see I guess

Hate to say it....nothing Butch does excites me. Even this, which I truly believe is an upgrade, makes me question Hokes thinking. I cannot imagine anyone worthwhile coming to work for CBJ. Admittedly that's about as Nega as it gets, and Butch Jones caused it.

Dang...take a deep breath.

Reactions: 16 people
I love this hire, nice to see Butch going and getting new people and not staying with his friends as coaches.

Well, Hoke is Butch's pal or this would not be happening, but that does not mean it is a bad move.

Hoke is a far better recruiter than coach in my opinion, but he brings a stature to the staff that is unusual for a position coach and this puts more pressure on Shoop to get it right this year . . . which is a good thing.

Reactions: 1 person

You gonna jump?

Reactions: 6 people
Very good hire! Solid defensive coach and recruiter. His HC stint at UM is similar to Muschamp at UF; very successful on D, not so much on O. Did very well at SDS prior to UM. I don't think Oregon's poor D results were his fault.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back