Bracketmatrix

It's all in front of us for the taking. You can't coast to a #1 seed (unless you are Gonzaga). You gotta give the committee no choice by winning down the stretch. Had we not lost these last two times, we would still have to win the same remaining games down the stretch to get the #1 seed. In a lot of ways it's just been practice up to now.

I wish Joe Lunardi was seeding the tournament. I think his newest brackets are very favorable for UT. We're deserving of a 2 seed and he still has us in the south playing in Louisville for sweet 16.

South Region

1 Virginia
2 Tennessee
3 Purdue
4 Maryland
5 Iowa State
6 Louisville
7 Villanova
8 Auburn

I'd take this path to the final 4 in a heart-beat! GBO, finish strong.

No whining about Lunardi. The bracketmatrix, which combines 50 + brackets to reach a consensus (including Lunardi) is the best resource. As of yesterday they still have you a # 1 seed.

http://www.bracketmatrix.com/

The established basketball media has hated UT as a #1 team or #1 seed since they got there. There's no way they are letting them back on the one line without winning out the rest of the season and winning the SEC tourney. I personally think they have to monkey stomp UK TWICE to be even considered again. Even if teams like Duke, UVA and UK falter along the way they will get the benefit of the doubt in the committee's minds.

Reactions: Catbone
The established basketball media has hated UT as a #1 team or #1 seed since they got there. There's no way they are letting them back on the one line without winning out the rest of the season and winning the SEC tourney. I personally think they have to monkey stomp UK TWICE to be even considered again. Even if teams like Duke, UVA and UK falter along the way they will get the benefit of the doubt in the committee's minds.

I don't think there is an anti-UT sentiment. Its just that the media always loves UK.

Can't blame them. They deliver.

No whining about Lunardi. The bracketmatrix, which combines 50 + brackets to reach a consensus (including Lunardi) is the best resource. As of yesterday they still have you a # 1 seed.

http://www.bracketmatrix.com/

Thanks Lawgator! Has anyone ever confirmed whether or not LG is actually Tim Tebow or not? He seems like an awfully nice guy to be Gator fan!lol

Thanks Lawgator! Has anyone ever confirmed whether or not LG is actually Tim Tebow or not? He seems like an awfully nice guy to be Gator fan!lol

Sorry to disappoint but that was an old one. The newest matrix drops you to the third # 2 slot.

I wish Joe Lunardi was seeding the tournament. I think his newest brackets are very favorable for UT. We're deserving of a 2 seed and he still has us in the south playing in Louisville for sweet 16.

South Region

1 Virginia
2 Tennessee
3 Purdue
4 Maryland
5 Iowa State
6 Louisville
7 Villanova
8 Auburn

I'd take this path to the final 4 in a heart-beat! GBO, finish strong.
give me Marquette over Purdue

Not a giant conspiracy against UT. Just hard to keep a team up high when they lose to the only top 25 teams they've played in 2+ months. That being said, UT will definitely at least get 2 or 3 more chances against UK/LSU.

Reactions: JohnD13
I don't think there is an anti-UT sentiment. Its just that the media always loves UK.

Can't blame them. They deliver.

There was a clear signal that they didnt think UT deserved to be ranked #1 over Duke and they were just waiting for the loss to UK to happen even though that was a tough road game (same as LSU). they were already trying make Duke #1 before UT ever lost. This is further evidenced by the fact that 5-loss UNC, 5-loss MSU and 4-loss UK are ranked higher and Houston is ranked higher in the coaches poll. Michigan State had THREE straight losses to unranked teams. Two of those losses were embarrassingly bad (IU and UI both bottom feeders). MSU shouldnt even be in the top 25 but they are ahead of UT now. both UK and UNC have worse losses than anything UT has. But I digress. Tennessee doesnt have the pedigree of those teams and is paying for it now.

UT will get its chance to win out, but that's what it will take to get back to a #1 seed.

Last edited:
There was a clear signal that they didnt think UT deserved to be ranked #1 over Duke and they were just waiting for the loss to UK to happen even though that was a tough road game (same as LSU). they were already trying make Duke #1 before UT ever lost. This is further evidenced by the fact that 5-loss UNC, 5-loss MSU and 4-loss UK are ranked higher and Houston is ranked higher in the coaches poll. Michigan State had THREE straight losses to unranked teams. Two of those losses were embarrassingly bad (IU and UI both bottom feeders). MSU shouldnt even be in the top 25 but they are ahead of UT now. both UK and UNC have worse losses than anything UT has. But I digress. Tennessee doesnt have the pedigree of those teams and is paying for it now.

UT will get its chance to win out, but that's what it will take to get back to a #1 seed.

The problem that so many don't understand is that teams aren't ranked by the amount of losses alone, but also for what wins they have. Here are some KenPom numbers.

As of right now, UT has the worst SOS in the top 10 outside Gonzaga who obviously will be an outlier as a midmajor.
UK has 9 'A' wins. Michigan State has 11. UNC has 9. UT has 6.
UT has a H2H loss against UK. It's hard to validate a higher ranking at this point and with current trends.
UNC has better wins and has won 10/11 beating 4 top 20 teams. Playing better than UT right now no question.

Michigan State is the only team I question being above UT. KenPom is a bit nicer on the losses (2 of them being 'A' losses, 1 being a 'B'). Michigan State has had a very tough schedule. They've only had one "easy" game since Jan 1. UT has had 7. I guess the rankings are valuing that.

Rankings/Resume are two different concepts to me.

The problem that so many don't understand is that teams aren't ranked by the amount of losses alone, but also for what wins they have. Here are some KenPom numbers.

As of right now, UT has the worst SOS in the top 10 outside Gonzaga who obviously will be an outlier as a midmajor.
UT has a H2H loss against UK. It's hard to validate a higher ranking at this point and with current trends.
UNC has better wins and has won 10/11 beating 4 top 20 teams. Playing better than UT right now no question.

Michigan State is the only team I question being above UT. KenPom is a bit nicer on the losses (2 of them being 'A' losses, 1 being a 'B'). Michigan State has had a very tough schedule. They've only had one "easy" game since Jan 1.) UT has had 7. I guess the rankings are valuing that.

Which one was easy? The loss at home to 13-9 Indiana, or the loss on the road to 8-15 Illinois? I'm sorry, I just can't justify putting them up there with those losses on their resume ahead of Tennessee and their 3 losses to top 15 teams.

Which one was easy? The loss at home to 13-9 Indiana, or the loss on the road to 8-15 Illinois? I'm sorry, I just can't justify putting them up there with those losses on their resume ahead of Tennessee and their 3 losses to top 15 teams.

Like I said, KenPom is nicer about the losses. Indiana has had a very difficult schedule, has played a lot of close games. KenPom is much more generous in giving them credit for at least losing close difficult games.

I wouldn't put Michigan State above UT, but the numbers don't make it as obvious as it would seem.

Michigan State is the only team I question being above UT. KenPom is a bit nicer on the losses (2 of them being 'A' losses, 1 being a 'B'). Michigan State has had a very tough schedule. They've only had one "easy" game since Jan 1. UT has had 7. I guess the rankings are valuing that.

I get that SOS matters, but a lot of these teams have hugely embarrassing and unexplainable losses. Kentucky has one, MSU has a couple, UNC lost to a 12 loss Texas team and Tennessee has ZERO. Yeah has Tennessee's schedule been easier? Sure. But they've taken care of business when some of these other teams have not. Tennessee has three losses to highly ranked teams and all on the road. Two of those losses were in overtime. Basically a hairs length from being a 1 loss team. But boy was Jay Bilas sooooooooo happy when Kentucky took down Tennessee.

I also realize that timing of losses matters. Is Gonzaga with losses to two ranked teams really that much better (#1 vs #7) than Tennessee who has three losses to ranked teams? Especially when one of Gonzaga's losses is to UT?

However the timing of losses isnt even something consistent. Duke just got it's 4th loss. If UT wins tonight what's the wager that they keep Duke ranked higher than UT?

Last edited:
And as for easy game, it was technically the Rutgers game strangely enough.

Weird because Illinois and Indiana are both bottom feeders this year. Indiana has lost something like 12 of its last 14 games. That's just marginally better than Vanderbilt.

Based on the brackets updated today:
Capture.PNG
This doesn't include todays games. I'd guess that MSU and Michigan will probably flip spots

Reactions: PulaskiVolFan
Based on todays brackets (FSU and Wisconsin flipped spots for bracketing rules):
Capture.PNG

Last edited:
Bracketville updated
Bracketology

Vols last on the 1 line. In Kansas City. UNC, Houston and Wiscinsin are the other 3 top seeds. Would be happy w that

Last edited:
Reactions: TMHoosierVol
Interesting 1 vs 16 matchup with Campbell and their high scoring guard Clemons. Like to see if he could get 30 against our defense like we played Saturday. I also love what they did to Duke putting them in the South with Ky. as the 2 in Louisville. That would be the most hostile crowd they've ever played in front of. The dual of the diaper dandies.

Last edited:
Nice to be there but still a long way to go. Likely that we will have to play Kentucky or LSU or both again. Were there now but still a lot of work to be done to stay there.

Lunardi, as of yesterday, still has us as a 2 and Ky as a 1. I guess, like somebody mentioned earlier, he's just taking the easy way out and is waiting for the SECT to see who wins the rubber match and just flip-flop us then.

Lunardi, as of yesterday, still has us as a 2 and Ky as a 1. I guess, like somebody mentioned earlier, he's just taking the easy way out and is waiting for the SECT to see who wins the rubber match and just flip-flop us then.

Lunardi is the last main stream person/bracket to follow. He is consistently one of the least accurate predictors of the tournament seeding and where teams will be placed.

Some of the brackets are done as if the tournament started today, while others try to predict what they will be

VN Store

Back