bowl game

21VOL

What is everybodys thoughts on the bowls..
if we lose to auburn we get bumped to the cotton bowl.
I thought the 2nd place team in the sec goes to the capitol one..
last time I checked we (IF WE LOSE) would the #2 team in sec..

captiol has picked LSU
outback has picked GA..

Attachments

• shuler.jpg
    shuler.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 0
It's not much different from last year. I've come to expect that the Vols have to "impress with points" not with Ws. At least it's the Cotton and not the Peach. That said, looks like we'd play that OTHER UT in the Cotton were we to go... OUCH.

While I'd love to spank the pretender UT, I'm not sure this is the best year to face them. They'll be coming into that game with a serious chip on their shoulder for the BCS dis.

When in the last say... 3-4 years have they NOT gone into their bowl game with a chip from a BCS dis? It seems like they always have 10 wins and miss out on the BCS. Mack Brown is in the same situation that Phil was in during the early-mid 90's with Spurrier...

Cedric Benson and Vince Young? No way do I want to play that O with the way our D has played in the last month - ND game.

#2 team in SEC is based on rankings rather than the stupid SECCG. Call me a commie, but the SECCG is double trouble for the loser. The loser of the SECCG is screwed. SECCG sux IMO.

Attachments

• clausen_5437_lg.jpg
    clausen_5437_lg.jpg
    236.5 KB · Views: 0
That's not NECESSARILY the case B'ham. The Bowls pick whoever the hell they want... and if a loss to X team would put you behind Y team, then how come BEATING X team doesn't necessarily put you above them? (ala beating UGA, same record, much lower ranking)

Either way, you have to have come to expect this crap. I almost forgot that LSU got clobbered by the same UGA team we beat a week later... I need a valium.

Texas A&M and not Texas may be in the Cotton Bowl. Currently, Cal is 4th in the BCS rankings and Texas is 5th. However, they are separated by only .0013 with Cal having an upcoming game at Southern Miss. You ask why this is relevant? Because a BCS conference school that finishes in the top 4 is guaranteed a spot in a BCS bowl. Cal or Texas? If Texas overcomes Cal in the BCS this week, then Texas A&M will represent the BigXII in the Cotton Bowl. It won't take much for Texas to move up either.... but I won't bore you with the details.... just know that if a few voters move Cal down, even if they don't lose their spot in the polls, they will lose valuable poll points that are used in the calculation..... and it doesn't take that many points to put Texas at 4.

Ok AllVol, wrap your head around this one. Texas or Cal in top 4, Utah and Boise in top 6... who would get the two at large bids?

I'd rather face A&M than UT... we can beat Franphoney.

I want to play the highest ranked team available. No holding back. We have a chance to show how good this Tennessee team is in 2004.
Imagine, For this scenario to work we would lose the SECC. two losses to Then ranked 2 or 1 Auburn 1 loss to Notre Dame. wins over Top five Teams Georgia and and Texas. finishing the season 10-3. Not bad for the third best Team in the SEC east..

All said and done, I'd rather just make my way to the BCS via a big win over Aubarn this week.

Originally posted by rwemyss@Dec 1, 2004 11:35 AM
Ok AllVol, wrap your head around this one. Texas or Cal in top 4, Utah and Boise in top 6... who would get the two at large bids?

Okay, there are basically 3 rules that guarantee a team a spot in the BCS and they go in order until all the at-large spots are taken.

To review, the order of guarantees for the at-large bids:

1. Any at-large team ranked #1 or #2 is guaranteed.
2. Any non-BCS school ranked in the top 6 is guaranteed.
3. The highest rated at-large candidate is guaranteed if it finishes 3rd or 4th.

In the scenario you just presented... the highest rated at-large teams are Texas at 4 (because Cal would have to lose to SMiss for both Utah and Boise State to be in the top 6) and Utah at 5 and Boise State at 6.

Guarantee No. 1... no qualifiers
Guarantee No. 2... #5 Utah and #6 Boise State both qualify and use up both at-large spots.
Guarantee No. 3... Sorry Texas, both at-large spots got used in Guarantee No. 2.

1 point undiscussed in this thread is the fact that the Vols enjoy fan support at a high level. This also influences bowl bids as cash comes with the fans.

You would normally make a valid point Dan, except the fact that the two recent Peach bowls that we found ourselves in had very low numbers... I chalk it up to the disappointment of getting in a lesser game than our record deserved, but the bowls just see the attendance numbers.

and AllVol... poor poor Texas, huh? :lol:

I don't think that I can stomach another loss to Texas. The Lady Vols and the Gentleman Vols have already lost to them in hoops. I have 2 ex-girlfriends that are Texas grads. I think they have put a curse on me! :shakehead:

VN Store

Back