Bobby Knight's health in decline

TMHoosierVol

Thread Assassin
Don Fischer, the long time radio voice of the Hoosiers, let it slip the other day that Bob Knight's health is in decline and also made reference to the sadness when it's the mind at issue. He wouldn't elaborate and actually regretted saying as much as he did about it. Sounds like he may be headed down the same path That Pat Summit went down. I'd link it but as mentioned before, I'm pretty much computer illiterate. Just google Bob Knight's health and it will pop up. I know how the majority of people feel about him but this news breaks my heart.

Last edited:
People may have their issues with him, but he's one of my favorite coaches. Super nice when I met him at the golf course. Talked about golf for about 20 mins.

Get well soon!!!:)

edit: I was about 17 when he came to Nashville to play with CM Newton. I wanted to ask him for an autograph at the range. I would take a step toward him and then turn away. After several times, he said, "What. Are you scared to talk to me? I wont yell at ya." He laughed and signed a scorecard. Great memory.

Last edited:
People may have their issues with him, but he's one of my favorite coaches. Super nice when I met him at the golf course. Talked about golf for about 20 mins.

Get well soon!!!:)

I envy you. I left home in September 1971 to enter the Navy and never lived in Indiana again. I was a Hoosiers fan since 1963 when Tom and Dick Van arsdale went there to play. I realized in September of 2000 that my allegiance had shifted to him and not IU. I had become a fan of Bobby Knight basketball and followed him at Texas Tech. I had always wanted to meet him but was never in the right place at the right time.

Reactions: peaygolf
He was very passionate about his players and demanded excellence like any other good coach would.

He may have acted foolish but the man isn’t a piece of trash.

Punching a police officer and choking a player puts him in trash category for me. He should not have acted like he did.

He was very passionate about his players and demanded excellence like any other good coach would.

He may have acted foolish but the man isn’t a piece of trash.

Trash is harsh, but he was a terrible person to many throughout his life. No one can question him as a coach, but as a man his reputation speaks volumes.

Hope he gets better.

The ESPN 30 for 30 on Bob Knight was very well done, IMO. Worth watching.

Probably speaking out of pocket here, but was Bob Knight kind of overrated? Or could you at least say that 1971 - 1987 Bobby Knight was much different than 1988 - 2000 Bobby Knight?

After his 3rd title in 1987, he only made it back to the Final Four once over the next 13 years, including 6 first round exits.

Probably speaking out of pocket here, but was Bob Knight kind of overrated? Or could you at least say that 1971 - 1987 Bobby Knight was much different than 1988 - 2000 Bobby Knight?

After his 3rd title in 1987, he only made it back to the Final Four once over the next 13 years, including 6 first round exits.

I think his style of coaching became outdated. He coached like a drill sergeant, which seemed to work better with kids in the 60s and 70s and 80s. That was mentioned in the 30 for 30.

Reactions: BUBear
I think his style of coaching became outdated. He coached like a drill sergeant, which seemed to work better with kids in the 60s and 70s and 80s. That was mentioned in the 30 for 30.
Yeah, makes sense. I always thought what made them truly comfortable with firing him was the fact that Indiana just wasn't all that good late in his tenure there, certainly below their expectations. They kind of needed a fresh start anyway. They would have had a much harder time pulling that trigger if Indiana recently had come off winning another title or had repeatedly made deep tournament runs or something.

Isn't Coach K a protoge of Knight? He was a drill sergeant type back in the 80's and has transformed his style to today's 1 and done types.

Reactions: 10takum
Ask Rick Barnes what kind of relationship he has with him and then say that about Knight and see what kind of response you get from him.

I dont care what Barnes thinks about him. Knight is a great coach but a POS. Thats my opinion. Doesnt make me right or wrong.

Isn't Coach K a protoge of Knight? He was a drill sergeant type back in the 80's and has transformed his style to today's 1 and done types.

He is indeed. He adapted and mellowed a little. If Coach Knight had mellowed in the 90s, he would’ve won a few more titles.

Reactions: Boca Vol
Say what you will about Bob Knight, but he never cheated, had more passion than anyone involved in the game and demanded more from people than they even knew they had.

Reactions: BUBear
“When my time on earth is gone, and my activities here are passed, I want they bury me upside down, and my critics can kiss my a$$”

Bobby Knight
Probably my all-time favorite quote of him.

As much of a hardass as he was, I did appreciate his vitriol for the media. Much of it was deserved.

One of my coolest moments as a college basketball fan was going to a practice the day before College Gameday during the Pearl years (I think it was when we played Florida at home in their 2nd championship year). I happened to see Coach Knight and Don DeVoe talking while sitting in the stands and me and my friend sat about 5 rows above them trying not to snoop. Coach Knight finished talking to Coach DeVoe and came and sat beside me and my friend and asked us why we were watching practice.

I proceeded to nerd out and tell him how much I loved watching the practices more than I liked watching the games and he told me that I should've went into coaching. He sat and chatted with us for probably 15 minutes.

He couldn't have been a cooler guy to me. I'll always appreciate him giving a couple of fans some of his time just to talk ball.

One of my coolest moments as a college basketball fan was going to a practice the day before College Gameday during the Pearl years (I think it was when we played Florida at home in their 2nd championship year). I happened to see Coach Knight and Don DeVoe talking while sitting in the stands and me and my friend sat about 5 rows above them trying not to snoop. Coach Knight finished talking to Coach DeVoe and came and sat beside me and my friend and asked us why we were watching practice.

I proceeded to nerd out and tell him how much I loved watching the practices more than I liked watching the games and he told me that I should've went into coaching. He sat and chatted with us for probably 15 minutes.

He couldn't have been a cooler guy to me. I'll always appreciate him giving a couple of fans some of his time just to talk ball.

I envy you also. I spent that entire Saturday morning trying to sneak into the bowels of TBA to get near their gameday bus and meet him. I had purchased 2 copies of his most recent book and hoped to get him to autograph them for my young twin nephews up in Indiana. I even tried to bribe a young man that was working for State Farm who was sponsoring the show. They were working the crowd wearing State Farm shirts and I offered him $50 to let me wear his shirt for a half hour hoping I could get past security. He wouldn't take my offer.

VN Store

Back