Bobby Bowden’s Seal of approval

Rockytopvol86

Sorry I can’t post the link. But Bobby just was interviewed and stated that he thinks Pruitt is the best up and coming football coach in the nation. Says he’s got talent. I’ll take that seal of approval from such a distinguished coach!

Last edited by a moderator:
I guess I'll be that guy, but Bowden has to be in his late 80's and the game had passed him by 15 years ago. Why should I care even if I hope he's right?

Seriously? Bowden doesn't just spew compliments like that. Man is a top 10 coach of all time and flat knows the game and coaches.

I guess I'll be that guy, but Bowden has to be in his late 80's and the game had passed him by 15 years ago. Why should I care even if I hope he's right?
We didn't hire Bowden to be the coach. Besides coaching football is not rocket surgery. It's not like there are any real technical changes that have taken place. To a large extent it's still my lineman knocked down your lineman I win

he said the same the same thing about butch jones in 2015.

Bobby Bowden enjoys weather, golf

“I think Jones is a very good football coach. I think they have a good man (at Tennessee). They’ve got a good athletics director in Dave Hart. He used to be my AD at FSU. David knows what it takes to win, and I think he’ll get it for them.”

Derek Dooley had Bowden come in to speak to the Vols one time. He introduced him like “Gentlemen, please welcome my good friend, Coach Bobby Bowden!”

Bowden stood up and said, “Thanks Darrell.”

Part of the reason why the players called him Darrell *****.

Seriously? Bowden doesn't just spew compliments like that. Man is a top 10 coach of all time and flat knows the game and coaches.
He doesn't know today's game. He stayed at FSU 5 years too long at an absolute minimum. Ultimate CEO-type of coach, never was the greatest at Xs and Os. Some of the guys he coached during his last few years at FSU said he basically didn't do anything other than walk around practice and the coaches offices, asking what the coaches were doing. Outstanding recruiter and motivator. Bowden thought Dave Hart was a good AD and Butch was a good coach too.

With an Avatar like that ... Not Shocked..
Bowden is a legend, and, an honest guy. I wouldn't think the compliment would have been given if it wasn't meant. Besides, who in Tennessee would he be trying to flatter at this point.

Derek Dooley had Bowden come in to speak to the Vols one time. He introduced him like “Gentlemen, please welcome my good friend, Coach Bobby Bowden!”

Bowden stood up and said, “Thanks Darrell.”

Part of the reason why the players called him Darrell *****.

Haha. Never knew this. Hilarious.
So, What's the rest of the reason?

I don't really care what he says either but just because the man's in his late 80's doesn't mean he's automatically senile and doesn't know football anymore

Even more importantly, Bowden said it 'out of the blue'. He doesn't really have a connection to Tennessee. If Bowden said it about an FSU coach, you understand that he has to say good things about FSU. To me, it seems like a pretty good endorsement to just say that about Pruitt w/o prompting or for any PR related reason.

He doesn't know today's game. He stayed at FSU 5 years too long at an absolute minimum. Ultimate CEO-type of coach, never was the greatest at Xs and Os. Some of the guys he coached during his last few years at FSU said he basically didn't do anything other than walk around practice and the coaches offices, asking what the coaches were doing. Outstanding recruiter and motivator. Bowden thought Dave Hart was a good AD and Butch was a good coach too.

Whether or not he should have retired early or got fired, he won. There's a reason he and Paterno are the coaches with the most wins. Coaches rarily al ever say anything negative about another coach to the media regardless if they hate each other. But some compliments weigh more than others. There's a difference between "I think coach blah blah is doing a good job at the university of blah blah. I have a lot of respect for him" compared to "out of all the new coaches... hidden gem..."

Football is different than when Bowden was on top of his game but successful coaches can recognize the next up and coming HC.

With an Avatar like that ... Not Shocked..
Bowden is a legend, and, an honest guy. I wouldn't think the compliment would have been given if it wasn't meant. Besides, who in Tennessee would he be trying to flatter at this point.
Not shocked that I have America's greatest race car driver showing love to a cute ass kitten? What does that have to do with what I said?

Haha. Never knew this. Hilarious.
So, What's the rest of the reason?

It was halftime of some game and we’d been playing like garbage as usual. Apparently Dooley liked to go on cursing tirades and he was on one in the locker room.

“Y’all are playing like a bunch of c*nts out there! I guess we’ll have to change our name to the C*nts! That’s right, the Tennessee C*nts!”

So thereafter he was referred to as Darrell C*nts by some of the players.

its simple really. This is how VN works:

Person X says something good about Tennessee? It means they’re great, perfect people.

Person X says something negative? The game has passed them by, they’re evil, corrupt and just plain ignorant.

VN Store

Back