Bob Shoop

Still blows my mind how, as good of a DC he is, that he still couldn't take us to the next level. He had some bright moments (2nd half in the UF win in particular) but overall he couldn't take the next step with our D that he's been able to everywhere else.

Good lord we are cursed...

Still blows my mind how, as good of a DC he is, that he still couldn't take us to the next level. He had some bright moments (2nd half in the UF win in particular) but overall he couldn't take the next step with our D that he's been able to everywhere else.

Butch's S&C program deserves a lot of blame.

Shoop's defense looked great during those first few games in 2016. Then, after half the squad was out injured, it was pretty mediocre.

Honestly we should have never hired him. I was one of the first to get all giddy and excited when we did, but going off our defense in 2015, we should have just kept Jancek and let him continue to build the defense.

Butch should have allowed Shoop to bring in a guy or two of his.

The rumor at the time was that Jancek was chasing co-eds.

The problem with Shoop was that Butch didn't let him run his system. It seemed like Butch didn't think we had the talent to be as aggressive as Shoop likes to be. But, Shoop with his hands tied behind his back is not Shoop at all. Pretty sure Butch's control freak tendencies bit us in the butt there.

The problem with Shoop was that Butch didn't let him run his system. It seemed like Butch didn't think we had the talent to be as aggressive as Shoop likes to be. But, Shoop with his hands tied behind his back is not Shoop at all. Pretty sure Butch's control freak tendencies bit us in the butt there.

Let him chase then. We aren't hiring a preacher as DC.

Chasing them may not have been the problem. What he may have done if he caught one would be.

There were also rumors of a tryst with a booster's wife if I recall.

Given Butch's loyalty to his staff, I doubt he would have fired him without outside pressure of some sorts.

The problem was with us, not Shoop. His defenses's national rankings for pts per game allowed and yards per game allowed as a major school DC:

2011 (Vandy)- 29th pts, 18th yds
2012 (Vandy)- 15th pts, 19th yds
2013 (Vandy)- 45th pts, 23rd yds
2014 (PSU)- 7th pts, 2nd yds
2015 (PSU)- 26th pts, 14th yds
2016 (UT)- 68th pts, 95th yds
2017 (UT)- 83rd pts, 82nd yds
2018 (MSU)- 2nd pts, 1st yds

I agree the Strength & Conditioning played a huge impact into Shoop's defense. If I recall, the year before we played Alabama within a TD the year before and even took the lead later in the 4th quarter of that game. Our LOS play was competitive in the SEC and our depth was decent. The year Shoop was hired, Butch went with a new S&C coach who I remember reading had no real program, so the players were pretty much managing their own workouts. I could tell there was an issue with S&C when I watched Evan Berry run out of steam on a kick return.

Shoop's players (with the exception of Derek Barnett) were out of shape. Barnett, Dobbs, & Kamara seemed to be the only players that year with the self-discipline to work out and stay in game shape.

think it has been commonly accepted it was lack of S&C

Given the way of the world, with his salary, there were probably a few women flirting with him, not the other way around.

Hell, half the dance team if given the opp would probably have screwed Butch's ugly ass given his salary. D1 coaches salaries buys a lot of basic girl stuff.

Don’t know how that explains our complete uselessness in rushing defense.

And how do you know this?

Chasing them may not have been the problem. What he may have done if he caught one would be.
Fact is he did catch one. He was bringing this 19-20 year old to functions...like dinner with coaches and their wives, and all, just as though she was his wife. All this while he was still married and neither one had filed for divorce yet. All this for the players to see as well. Jones did not put up with it. Especially after more than one warning.

Will Shoop be yet another former coach or assistant coach to return to Knoxville and leave victorious? For the record I think Shoop was one of the better DC’s we have had in the last few years.

You know how this plays out. Hell, we've seen it with several coaches over the years. They're idiots and awful coaches while at UT. After they depart, they become the next Lombardi and beat the hell out of us. Just what unrealistic expectations of immediate results and impatience gets us.

Reactions: VolNExile
You know how this plays out. Hell, we've seen it with several coaches over the years. They're idiots and awful coaches while at UT. After they depart, they become the next Lombardi and beat the hell out of us. Just what unrealistic expectations of immediate results and impatience gets us.

Please expound upon the "unrealistic expectations" that you feel have been expressed on this message board.
wCBkKnf.jpg

Will Shoop be yet another former coach or assistant coach to return to Knoxville and leave victorious? For the record I think Shoop was one of the better DC’s we have had in the last few years.

He is a good DC but was not here for whatever reason.

Jones' development was awful. His recruiting never looked as good on game day as it did on NSD.

Poor to average Qb’s take us on and look like Tom Brady. Former coaches and assistants light us up. Its so Tennessee.....arrrggg

The problem was with us, not Shoop. His defenses's national rankings for pts per game allowed and yards per game allowed as a major school DC:

2011 (Vandy)- 29th pts, 18th yds
2012 (Vandy)- 15th pts, 19th yds
2013 (Vandy)- 45th pts, 23rd yds
2014 (PSU)- 7th pts, 2nd yds
2015 (PSU)- 26th pts, 14th yds
2016 (UT)- 68th pts, 95th yds
2017 (UT)- 83rd pts, 82nd yds
2018 (MSU)- 2nd pts, 1st yds

He has dropped from 1st to 77th.

So much of college is the jimmies and joes.

Having said that I feel much better about our chances Saturday. I think we have at least one SEC game where we unload on somebody.

VN Store

Back