Bob Kesling (merged)

Kesling is no John Ward
Yeah, but he doesn't have to feel ashamed to emulate him a bit at least. It's like he wants everybody to remember that John Ward was the best their ever was and he just calls the game. I cringe when I hear his call of field goal to beat Bama and he says "just made it over the upright" geez, it's called a crossbar...

I admittedly watch most Vols football games on TV but yesterday I was caught without an option as I was driving home from Ohio after holiday.

Kesling has had his fair share of critics in the last 24 years but yesterday was GODAWFUL. I couldn't tell if he was announcing a football game or a funeral. I've never heard anyone less enthusiastic about the action on the field and that's when he was actually telling you what was happening. Several times, especially on 4th down tries, I had to listed to the crowd in the background to even know if the attempt was good or not. It was more apparent when I got home and watched the recording of the game and the ESPN broadcasters were way more excited about my Vols than Kesling was.

I know he announced he was retiring after 2022 but yet here he still is. In my opinion, this new exciting version of Tennessee football needs a new man on the microphone that makes it sound like it actually is.

I was travelling home yesterday so listened to much over the radio. You are right, not only was passion left to be desired but he does not keep you up to date on important factors such as time remaining or even a decent job on down and distance. I can say that the tech team behind him is awesome, sound quality and reproduction is top notch. I had to listen to Ole Miss radio the other day for their bowl and it sounded like it was being played in a tin can.

I remember almost 25 years ago Bob Keslings first season. I was young then....only 16-17yo and didn't listen much. But I remember my dad complaining about how bad the first year with Bob was.....sadly. Not much has changed and it appears the UT admin doesn't have any intestinal fortitude to fix it.

I remember almost 25 years ago Bob Keslings first season. I was young then....only 16-17yo and didn't listen much. But I remember my dad complaining about how bad the first year with Bob was.....sadly. Not much has changed and it appears the UT admin doesn't have any intestinal fortitude to fix it.
I was at UT when Ward retired and Kesling took over, so fortunately for me I was at the games and not listening to the radio. I didn't begin listening until about 2003, but as I said for the most part I always watch the games since almost all of them are on TV with the existence of the SEC network.

I do not think Bob would have been a topic of discussion at any other school. In my opinion the problem is that he followed the greatest of all time.

John Ward would have been an icon at any school or network in the country. He was able to paint a picture that no other announcer had the ability to do. That is a lost art in today’s media.

When is the last time anyone has listened to the Vol Network at Tennessee games when Bob was broadcasting? For years in Neyland Stadium folks with transistor radios, etc. was prevalent; no more.
That's also just a generational thing. A lot of people, especially young people, don't really listen to the radio anymore.

I do not think Bob would have been a topic of discussion at any other school. In my opinion the problem is that he followed the greatest of all time.

John Ward would have been an icon at any school or network in the country. He was able to paint a picture that no other announcer had the ability to do. That is a lost art in today’s media.
Has nothing to do with him following Ward. He just sucks at his job. “What a turn of events.” Sounds like he is broadcasting a funeral.

But Kesling spent decades working directly with Ward. You'd think he picked SOMETHING up.

That's also just a generational thing. A lot of people, especially young people, don't really listen to the radio anymore.
Yep . . . Standard practice for me was a small radio in my pocket with an earbud that I only put in if something happened like a strange call or injury and I wanted to hear an explanation. Can't really remember why I stopped, but I haven't done that for years and I don't think I even own a radio that's not in my car.

Reactions: ksgovols
Has nothing to do with him following Ward. He just sucks at his job. “What a turn of events.” Sounds like he is broadcasting a funeral.
Since 2005 his style has adapted to its environment then, with the exception of the last couple of years.

When is the last time anyone has listened to the Vol Network at Tennessee games when Bob was broadcasting? For years in Neyland Stadium folks with transistor radios, etc. was prevalent; no more.

Yep..........remember many, many with their massive cord-connected-earphones w/ their padded comfort all listening to "give-him-six". the picture Ward painted was truly unrivaled and now a lost art I feel.

Reactions: onevol74

VN Store

Back