Blacktop basketball and big perspective: Inside Cade Phillips' unique childhood

kamoshika

Superb piece on a terrific young man...

Phillips possessed — and possesses — a different understanding of the world because of the world grew up in. The Tennessee basketball freshman was raised on and by Big Oak Ranch in Alabama, spending his youth surrounded by people different from him and many with hard backgrounds. The man he is was fostered on the 474-acre ranch, his empathy heightened and his basketball game created.

...There was never a conversation explaining what brought kids to the ranch. He leaned in evermore to the setting. Phillips took naturally to it all, befriending any and all — kids from abusive households and broken homes, state cases and abandoned kids. Phillips innately grasped that kids came to Big Oak often because not many – if any – people wanted them. But he did. He saw how his parents loved truly and emulated that care.

...He welcomed their hard and hurt. He saw people for who they were. They all came to Big Oak for different reasons but what mattered is they were there. “I don’t think he knew everybody’s story and I don’t think he cared,” said P.J. Wells, who grew up at Big Oak with Phillips and plays football at Jacksonville State. “He loves us and we love him.”

https://www.knoxnews.com/story/spor...sketball-big-oak-ranch-childhood/72205403007/

Superb piece on a terrific young man...

Phillips possessed — and possesses — a different understanding of the world because of the world grew up in. The Tennessee basketball freshman was raised on and by Big Oak Ranch in Alabama, spending his youth surrounded by people different from him and many with hard backgrounds. The man he is was fostered on the 474-acre ranch, his empathy heightened and his basketball game created.

...There was never a conversation explaining what brought kids to the ranch. He leaned in evermore to the setting. Phillips took naturally to it all, befriending any and all — kids from abusive households and broken homes, state cases and abandoned kids. Phillips innately grasped that kids came to Big Oak often because not many – if any – people wanted them. But he did. He saw how his parents loved truly and emulated that care.

...He welcomed their hard and hurt. He saw people for who they were. They all came to Big Oak for different reasons but what mattered is they were there. “I don’t think he knew everybody’s story and I don’t think he cared,” said P.J. Wells, who grew up at Big Oak with Phillips and plays football at Jacksonville State. “He loves us and we love him.”

https://www.knoxnews.com/story/spor...sketball-big-oak-ranch-childhood/72205403007/
I live in Weaver, which is not far from the Big Oak Ranch, and right next to Jacksonville, where Cade played HS BB. Nothing but good things are said about him. Its amazing how his family and the Big Oak change kids lives. Our church donates to them monthly. Its a great cause. Wish nothing but the best for Cade and I think he will turn out to be a successful player at UT. GO VOLS

Saw this article in today's Knoxville News Sentinel and he has a bright future at Tennessee.

VN Store

Back