Black Stripes

OrangeLining

Usually a lurker...but haven’t seen anything posted on this: Whats with the BLACK STRIPES on helmets??? Hopefully Heupel is not taking a single thing from Jones’ tenure, but it seems he is?

I'm sure it's there to assist the coaches to see where the player's eyes are when watching film.

If the LB's eyes are in the backfield on the QB when they should be on the TE breaking out to the flat, for example.

Last edited:
Don't worry, I don't think there is anything he wants to take from butch

Usually a lurker...but haven’t seen anything posted on this: Whats with the BLACK STRIPES on helmets??? Hopefully Heupel is not taking a single thing from Jones’ tenure, but it seems he is?
I am no Jones fan, but not everything he did was bad. I have no problem with an "earn your orange stripe" mentality. It seemed to be a good motivator and provide the players a special moment when they got to remove that black stripe.

On a similar note I was at a coaching clinic back in the early 90's....One speaker was a college QB coach and he said he didn't let his QB's have stripes on their helmets during games. Said the stripe made it too easy for LBers and DBs to read the QBs eyes. Actually made sense when he said it.

On a similar note I was at a coaching clinic back in the early 90's....One speaker was a college QB coach and he said he didn't let his QB's have stripes on their helmets during games. Said the stripe made it too easy for LBers and DBs to read the QBs eyes. Actually made sense when he said it.
Maybe that is the reasoning for the stripes during practice.. Easy to identify what direction they are looking when reviewing the video.

I think the stripe on the helmet is a common coaching thing. But just like the turnover celebration, Jones over did the sales pitch.

VN Store

Back