Black Coaches (split)

You are the clueless one. You actually believe that people refuse to hire candidates because of their race instead of the obvious fact that they aren’t as experienced or qualified

Teams approach a coach they intend to hire with an offer. There really isn’t an application process. I think that was the point trying to be made.

Reactions: ClearwaterVol
You are the clueless one. You actually believe that people refuse to hire candidates because of their race instead of the obvious fact that they aren’t as experienced or qualified

I believe it to be motivating factor. You, however, have showcased your bigotry on this board so many times I have lost count.

Blacks make up 35% of assistant coaches, but only 19% of head coaches. What is causing them to be less qualified, in your opinion? Why do white coaches receive 2nd and 3rd chances after termination, but blacks do not?

Teams approach a coach they intend to hire with an offer. There really isn’t an application process. I think that was the point trying to be made.

And we have a winner.

White coaches get second and third opportunities while black counterparts do not.

The stats are going to be skewed though. Black coaches are getting second and third chances (Sumlin and Strong come to mind) while others just suck so bad they won't get that opportunity for a long time (Derek Mason should ring a bell)

However, you can't take "historical" stats into account here. The coaching carousel is a relatively new thing as head coaches go. Used to be, coaches got between 5-10 years before a college said "okay, you suck and it's time to move on." Now? It's 2-5 years max before they start cranking up the search engine. The lack of movement in the past is what kept a lot of coaches of color out of head coach positions.

Now with the revolving door, you have more opportunities as well as more chances for the 2nd or 3rd chance U. Unless you really show you aren't capable of being a head coach (Mason) and nobody is going to take a chance on you. But that applies equally to white and black coaches. Which head coaching job has Dooley gotten in the past 10 years?

I saw the BS article on ESPN a while back about the subject and how they skip over the ultimate stat that keeps coaches regardless of color in place. And that's the ability to put a W repeatedly in the proper column. They even used Ruffin McNeill at ECU as an example. It's pretty clear he rode the Lincoln Riley train as long as he could before they forced him out. And Lincoln hired him at OU on the spot.

Reactions: AM64
I believe it to be motivating factor. You, however, have showcased your bigotry on this board so many times I have lost count.

Blacks make up 35% of assistant coaches, but only 19% of head coaches. What is causing them to be less qualified, in your opinion? Why do white coaches receive 2nd and 3rd chances after termination, but blacks do not?

I am not sure, but most NFL owners are older white dudes like Jerry Jones, Arthur Blank, and Jimmy Haslam. Perhaps they want a coach with a white face leading the team.

And we have a winner.
By this logic the college game needs more white players. Who cares if they’re less talented or athletic than the black players right?

But that's different
It’s always different if it doesn’t fit their narrative. My dad worked at UPS where many white men who have numerous years there can’t get a promotion but a black woman can become a supervisor in 2 weeks simply bc she’s a black woman. Seen it with my own eyes. The company I work for is 80% black at my location, everyone makes great money, my boss is black. These people cling to a narrative and grasp for straws to have excuses for failure.

You would probably have to consider what proportion of players go to the NFL and which college players weren't good enough for the NFL so they turned their talents toward coaching if they intended to stay associated with the sport. I'd bet a lot of the disproportionate racial makeup in career choices starts right there.

One Clemson player I know through my family is choosing to go pro this year instead of graduating. He never intended to be at Clemson more than three years. Obviously the NFL as a player over coaching was a choice from the start. He's a nice kid, and maybe will do well in the NFL, but I'd bet the money and his family's desire for it (met them, too) will relegate him to a dismal future - and certainly not a coaching future. We're talking lineman and not QB here BTW.

VN Store

Back