Bituli discussion

I'm actually worried about lack of quality depth with our front 7. I think we're up for another year where we're one or two injuries away from a big loss of production.

Shouldn't have any hurdles this year with a competent staff and Jumper out of the way

Say what you want about Jumper, kid had heart (more than I could say about what we say about alot of them). No direction from grown men drawing big bucks. Too bad he didn't have the speed with his heart.

Reactions: 6 people
Dude was my favorite player last year.

He always went 100% and brought physical nastiness, while being humble and smart after the whistle.

Don't forget, gaulden's double bird was after bituli's pick six. Gaulden didnt make that play, and bituli didnt show his ass after it(although i reserve the right to enjoy and approve the spirit of gaulden's gesture).

Still, while watching vols worst season, i'm pretty sure my most frequent exclamation was...

"Baaa-TOOOO-Ley!!!"

it actually eclipsed my second most...

"WTF??? BUTCH, YOU IDIOT!"

third was probably....

"Jesus, jumper.... get Bituli in there, whats he doing on the bench, he had like 30 tackles last game."

Reactions: 3 people
Him, DK, and Taylor give us a really good group of LBs. I honestly like our dline too. A lot of depth.

Did you really like the school record 3,000+ rushing yards our dline gave up? Made Sal Sunseri look like Bill Belichick. Plus McKenzie now gone, too.

Please. JP got his work cut out for him to teach these kids fundamentals and implement an entirely new 3-4 set.

Look for some pleasant surprises in 2018...1 year makes a lot of difference in some kids play...sometimes the light just comes on...come spring I think a lot of us are going to be shocked a some of the players abilities...D line, linebackers, D backfield will give us some hope...receiving core could have potential with our new receiveing coach...

Problems I worry about right now is O line and QB

Reactions: 2 people
I'm actually worried about lack of quality depth with our front 7. I think we're up for another year where we're one or two injuries away from a big loss of production.

THIS X 10 , there is no “ quality” depth at any of the 22 positions. Any injury anywhere begins the domino perfect storm scenario imo. There has been too much attrition over 4 years

Is he big enough to play DE in a 3-4? He is built like a LB in a 3-4 look. You don’t see many 250 lb DE in a 3-4, typically they are 275 type guys

Ideally they are 290-300

NT 300-320

But you can't always have what you want. As long as the lineman can disrupt their lane, then they can have less than perfect size

Say what you want about Jumper, kid had heart (more than I could say about what we say about alot of them). No direction from grown men drawing big bucks. Too bad he didn't have the speed with his heart.

In the SEC to excel it takes both heart and talent to do that. We've seen youngsters who have heart and little talent mostly fail along with youngsters with lots of talent and little heart mostly fail. For every good or even great play these type kids produce on the field, they turn in 10 bad ones and get you losses. Jumpers career on The Hill if you look at the film all of it not collected snippets will make an actual football fan and/or coach cringe with the amount of failed plays he produced. He's a great kid from a great family reportedly that had no business playing SEC football. The people that did this to him did him no favors IMO.

I dunno about depth Man .. If they switch to 3-4 defense, DKjr, Bituli and Sapp can play as pure LBs with Will Igont, JJ Peterson and Shannon Ried as back ups. Jordan Allen and Austin Smith can work as pass rushing 4th LB. But thats only 8 LBs including 2 from this signing class. Dillon Bates is still here but basically we are depth starved.

Taylor,Thaxton, and Deandre Johnson should be pass rushing LB's too. I wonder where Blakely will fit in the mix?? He was a 4 star (Rivals) coming out of HS 2 years ago.

Taylor,Thaxton, and Deandre Johnson should be pass rushing LB's too. I wonder where Blakely will fit in the mix?? He was a 4 star (Rivals) coming out of HS 2 years ago.

He was a MLB in the 4-3. Maybe shed a few and back up on the inside. I think he could end up important with Kirkland’s injury history.

Did you really like the school record 3,000+ rushing yards our dline gave up? Made Sal Sunseri look like Bill Belichick. Plus McKenzie now gone, too.

Please. JP got his work cut out for him to teach these kids fundamentals and implement an entirely new 3-4 set.

Those issues were more at lb than dline. Didn’t help losing Taylor for a few games either.

If we have learned anything, repeated three and punts by our offense results in no D for Tennessee by end of third quarter. I like our D and coaches on D. I'm praying for a miracle on O. Maybe a whole new scheme nobody ever seen before that keeps our D off the field and gives us a win.

Reactions: 1 person
Do you think coach goes 3-4 right off the bat? I guess if your gonna pull off the band-aid, you might as well do it now. Ain't firing him in 18' with growing pains on D.

Kevin Bennett at DE? Taylor @ olb?

I agree. I would if I were him. Just like every coach before him he will get a pass on year one from most fans and like you said he will not be fired after year one. Make the transition now and get the learning curve out of the way. Then the class of 19 that CJP believes will be something to be proud of and a year of playing in it should pay off in year 2.
More than likely we will see the 3-4 on 1st and 2nd downs, depending on the offensive formation we see, and on short yardage downs. I expect a lot of 4-2-5 and sometimes 3-2-6 or dime. I don't think we have the secondary to run those as often as we would like to against passing formations.

Bituli Kitkland Kongbo and Pederson on the field at once!

The next time Bituli lines up correctly will be the first time. Kirkland has to prove he can play more than two games in a season, Kongbo has no technique and less discipline (on field), and Peterson's last game was in HS.

A lot of potential here but it's a stretch to expect this to be a dominant group of players this year.

I agree. I would if I were him. Just like every coach before him he will get a pass on year one from most fans and like you said he will not be fired after year one. Make the transition now and get the learning curve out of the way. Then the class of 19 that CJP believes will be something to be proud of and a year of playing in it should pay off in year 2.
More than likely we will see the 3-4 on 1st and 2nd downs, depending on the offensive formation we see, and on short yardage downs. I expect a lot of 4-2-5 and sometimes 3-2-6 or dime. I don't think we have the secondary to run those as often as we would like to against passing formations.
"I agree. I would if I were him. Just like every coach before him he will get a pass on year one from most fans"

While I totally agree, there are fans that will come unhinged at loss #1 next year. There are already those claiming there is a ton of talent on the roster, but I dont see it, particularly 2nd team and 3rd team. The other problem is 2 years from now will really be a rebuild year as there are a lot of Srs on next years roster.

Dude was my favorite player last year.

He always went 100% and brought physical nastiness, while being humble and smart after the whistle.

Don't forget, gaulden's double bird was after bituli's pick six. Gaulden didnt make that play, and bituli didnt show his ass after it(although i reserve the right to enjoy and approve the spirit of gaulden's gesture).

Still, while watching vols worst season, i'm pretty sure my most frequent exclamation was...

"Baaa-TOOOO-Ley!!!"

it actually eclipsed my second most...

"WTF??? BUTCH, YOU IDIOT!"

third was probably....

"Jesus, jumper.... get Bituli in there, whats he doing on the bench, he had like 30 tackles last game."

You obviously don't understand the importance of "getting the D lined up"! :eek:lol: :cray:

Reactions: 2 people
Him, DK, and Taylor give us a really good group of LBs. I honestly like our dline too. A lot of depth.

I do too. Just would like to see the Offense sustain long drives, eat time off the clock so the Defense is not logging 70%of the time on the field.

VN Store

Back